Last night: 4th of July at my house. . . :-(

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Last night: 4th of July at my house. . . :-(

Postby Cudedog » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:48 pm

Last night was beyond noisy and not fun at all.

The Major Booms started at about 6:00 p.m., with the noise constantly rising as each minute ticked by. By 8:00 p.m. Joe had clawed his way into my bedroom closet and somehow had climbed up on a precarious stack of boxes that are stored in there. He was panting so hard I was becoming very concerned.

By 9:00 p.m. the deep growling booms were coming every few seconds, a every few minutes one rattled my windows so much that I was sure someone must be in my back yard setting them off (with the smaller booms still continuing in between). I tried to console Joe, but he was shaking so much he was just too terrified to react to my efforts, so went to the kitchen to get a sedative for him (veterinary prescribed).

When I got back to the bedroom, I noticed that he had added a new variant to Terror Night: he had come out of the closet long enough to pee in my bed (Joe is a big dog, there was a lot of pee), then had squirmed back into a different part of the closet.

I eased him out of the closet, gave him the sedative, stripped my bed (thank goodness I have kept a 100% waterproof cover on my bed as a matter of course for many years, or my newish mattress would have been ruined), loaded my washing machine with my bedding. Before stripping the bed I had to physically remove him from the closet - he wasn't going to budge, and I didn't want him peeing in the closet nor on the bed again once I had got the bedding removed. (Joe is 100% reliable in the house-training department, and has been for years).

After getting him out of the closet, I put him in his crate (after removing his food dish and water dish, because he will thrash around when terrified, possibly injuring himself) and started my first load of bedding (out of two) in the washing machine.

By about 10:00 p.m. the sedative had started to take effect, just a little bit, but he was sitting in his crate and shaking and not really relaxed. At least he wasn't thrashing.

The hisses and BOOMS and whooshes and crackles and POPs! and snaps continued unabated.

By 11:30 p.m. the second load of bedding came out of the dryer, so I went to make my bed with the clean bedding. (Remember, the new city ordinance states that fireworks are supposed to stop by 11:00 p.m.)

By midnight, general fireworks noise had calmed only a little, with the really LOUD random BOOMS going on and on.

Joe, still crated, had finally calmed enough to lie down, but was still shaking and panting. When the louder BOOMS would come, he would jump to his feet, shaking and panting so hard I though he might vomit. Or might even die.

By 1:00 a.m. I have had it, I am totally and completely exhausted, the (now) random snap-crackle-POP! continuing, generally followed by another random BOOM!!.

I looked out the back door that leads into my back yard and didn't seen anything, although I think I could hear (I'm actually not sure now, I was pretty overwrought by this time) low talking and laughing from somewhere behind my back fence, maybe in the back neighbor's yard, or maybe beyond that.

I was only - just barely, it was a very near thing - able to stop myself from running out the door with fists clenched screaming/screeching obscenities at the top of my lungs.

By 1:30 a.m., still random booms happening, I left Joe crated (I didn't have the energy to strip the bed again and do the laundry thing again should Joe have another "accident") with the light on, and went to bed .

The last and final BOOM!!that I recall was at 2:30 a.m. There may have been more, but I was finally able to fall asleep.

I know and respect the traditions of our country in celebrating the 4th of July. But eight hours plus of trying to exist in what sounds like a war zone is WAY too much, and speaks of a profound disrespect for the law and also of a profound disrespect for the needs of one's fellow human beings (not to mention their pets), and thus of a profound disrespect to the traditions of law that were a cornerstone of the founding of our nation. I am of the STRONG opinion if people can't obey the law, or (at least) show the MINIMAL amount of courtesy and respect to one's fellow human beings, that ALL fireworks should be banned, with the possible exception of displays put on by licensed public entities at licensed public venues.

This was by far the VERY WORST 4th of July that I have EVER experienced in my 12 years of living here. Maybe this was due to the official end of the Pandemic - but maybe not. Maybe this is just the new normal.

I had thought of going somewhere in my van, maybe a drive out to the middle of an agricultural area somewhere, to wait it out, but decided that sitting in my van in 90 degree temps for seven or eight hours might do me in. I also thought of going somewhere to stay in a hotel or something, but the likelihood of finding a hotel out of reach of the sound of booms is pretty much slim to none here within a reasonable driving distance.

And. . . why should I be forced from my own home so that other people can enjoy their version of "fun"? It truly boggles the mind.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Last night: 4th of July at my house. . . :-(

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:53 pm

OMG you poor thing and poor Joe. We had just a couple of booms here then nothing thank goodness. Fireworks are the worst. Emma hates them too of course. I would plan on going somewhere in your trailer next year, somewhere remote LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:06 pm

Ty normally ignores fireworks. We hear them over Christmas/New Years. Last night we heard a couple and he got up and demanded to go out. When he couldn't see anything wrong he came in and back to bed. I'm lucky that he's not terrified of them. And these weren't close either.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:02 pm

As a veteran , I am respectfully requesting that all cease calling 4th of July fireworks of any type, "a war zone" ! Unless you have actually been in a war in a war zone, you haven't a clue what it's like. Last night I sat next to my neighbor, a Army veteran, who served in Afghanistan, Iraq, and places he can't even mention, during a nearly 20 year career. He enjoyed himself last night, showing his 3 yr old nephew safe use of safe and sane fireworks, while not even flinching as one big bang after another were heard and seen in each direction as the illegal fireworks were lit by lawbreakers. Let's leave the term War Zone to those who have lived it. Even an M80 is nothing compared to a rocket or hand grenade or IED, or having to sleep during incoming.
I love and enjoy the safe and sane fireworks and will fight to keep them legal as they remove the temptation from some to go get illegal stuff. Focus on stopping illegal fireworks. Ours hissed and crackled and showed us pretty color. None went bang or boom. And our cat slt through it all.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:46 pm

Anne, I am so sorry you and Joe had to go thru that! I doubt we will ever get rid of illegal fireworks. There is just no way to stop them since so many people buy and light them off every year and get by with it.

Either you and Joe could go away in your camper next year, or maybe you need to revisit your thoughts of moving. Find an area out in the country where there will be less likely of that kind of thing going on.

There are a lot of vets with PTSD who are totally stressed out and unnerved by fireworks too, since, to them, it sounds all too familiar to the sounds of what they experienced at war.

Here is an excerpt from an article about Vets with PTSD:

".. for veterans who suffer from PTSD, the sound of fireworks lighting the sky can usher in dark memories of service
A lot of people think wow of all things, that they should go celebrate because they’re our heroes but so many have seen so much that it’s just, it’s sad,” Ronald Key, owner of Woody’s Home for Veterans. Key said it does no good to tell veterans, especially veterans with PTSD, that “it’s just fireworks” because it is the sound that reminds them of the war zone."
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:36 pm

Some of the Indian reservations ie: Yakima WA sell the illegal fireworks. I had neighbors when I lived in Portland always went up there and bought hundreds of dollars worth of them. I dont like fireworks, dont mind the safe and sane but hate the others.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby snowball » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:26 pm

that is just sad Anne so sorry that they went so far over board... fire works can be fun when at a safe place ... I feel bad for Jo have you ever tried those thunder shirts? and fire works of any kind are illegal in the National Parks... I don't how far you would have to go but perhaps a road trip next year again so sorry it was that bad... I don't understand the need to have hours of them and why the police can't do some control in cases like this ... my sister lives in Vegas and the neighborhood seem to have lots of people doing the fireworks for about a week before and after it is so not needed or enjoyed after a time... we had a few booms I think the town sets them off but we didn't go and only heard a few but nothing else
sheila
snowball

Postby Pooker » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:14 am

I hope that eventually fireworks will be a thing of the past as laser and drone displays are planned, but I'm afraid there will always be those among us who will fire anything and everything they can get their hands on, including guns. I understand our police were out in force Tuesday but even though fireworks are banned, we still had the usual boomers and screamers. Not as bad as previous years and they did stop awhile after I went to bed. I agree with those who say plan an outing over these holidays if you can. Yes, it's true that you shouldn't have to vacate your home because of the stupidity of others, but reality is your peace of mind and the health of your pet are more important.

My Mom was terrified of thunder storms and fireworks. I don't know how they managed it, but my Mom and her two dogs always huddled in her little closet together whenever there would be a storm or fireworks. Putting Joe in his crate was probably the best solution. I think I would have pestered the police with complaint calls.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Colliemom » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:18 am

Sorry for all the problems you had Anne. I have gotten to where I don’t enjoy the Fourth of July for fireworks anymore either. I think a lot has to do with the fact that piper gets very nervous when fireworks are going off. Molly doesn’t care. Fortunately, for me, I live in an area where people are not missing much with them. My neighbors just down the road here had planned to do some on Sunday night which I knew about and they’re only there for maybe a half hour. I could hear some faint booms from the next like over on the Fourth of July but other than that that was it. Basically you didn’t even know it was a holiday weekend around here. Over where my cousin lives about 5 miles from me, they had a lot of fireworks going off at the lake on Saturday night. That’s because people over there always do fireworks in conjunction with the ones that the Lake Association does. This year probably a bit more so, because as I had mentioned in another post, the lake associations fireworks went for a swim, because of the barge sinking and the platform collapsing. If I was in your situation, I definitely would be getting out of there.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby monik7 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:07 am

Anne, I’m so sorry Big Joe and you had to go through such a horrible night (and more) of non-stop fireworks. Both dogs I currently have are not afraid fireworks. However Monik, the dog I had before I got Bindi, was absolutely petrified of the loud booms and other sounds fireworks make. I dreaded 4th of July coming every year. I know you said you didn’t want to sit in your car somewhere, but that’s what I ended up doing and it worked. I would drive to a location where I knew there would be few if no fireworks and loud booms. To be extra careful I turned up music inside the car to drown out any loud sounds that did happen. Yes, I disliked terribly that I had to do that and having to sit and keep Monik calm for so many hours. But I told myself it happened once a year and since it proved to be successful in keeping my wonderful Monik calm, we did it. I realize the situation in your area is somewhat different as far as how many fireworks there are and how many days they’re set off, but I do think trying to figure out where you might go and for how long might be the only solution to keeping you and Big Joe safe and sane.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:54 pm

I just read an article about Boulder Colorado and other cities around there that did drone displays this year and I guess they went over very well with everyone. Hopefully, that will become a more popular option around the country. They need to outlaw all illegal fireworks in the whole country so it is harder to get them. Of course that probably will never happen. No easy answers I guess.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:32 pm

Barbara, many fireworks come across our southern border (illegal ) fireworks! Borders need to be secured and more tools for detecting the contraband put in place! I love properly, legally used fireworks. Drones are ok, just not same. Periodically we see Intel practice in our skies. Just not the same.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:10 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:I just read an article about Boulder Colorado and other cities around there that did drone displays this year and I guess they went over very well with everyone. Hopefully, that will become a more popular option around the country. They need to outlaw all illegal fireworks in the whole country so it is harder to get them. Of course that probably will never happen. No easy answers I guess.

Special Thanks to each and every one of you who offered your sympathy. Very much appreciated!! Joe says "THANK YOU" also!!

The kindness and understanding from all of you here is appreciated more than I can express.

Hello Barbie!

I agree with you 100%!!

I have seen some very spectacular drone and laser displays that look absolutely amazing!! The things that can be done with multiple (sometimes hundreds!) synchronized lighted drones and lasers is the coming thing, I think.

The use of drones (lots of 4th of July coordinated drone displays to be found on YouTube) for this kind of application is still in it's infancy. Every year they have improved, it is difficult to imagine where drone displays might end up - but wherever it is, I'll bet it will be amazing!!

Well, after Tuesday's "Boom Town" until the wee hours, on Wednesday evening I feared the worst. In the past the booms and crashes and rumbles have continued for sometimes as much as a week or two afterwards.

On Wednesday evening, day after the 4th, I heard the first few BOOMS at about 7:00 p.m. I thought, with dismay, "well, here we go again" (Joe had already headed for the closet). But then, after about only three or four booms they. . . just stopped. I couldn't believe it!!

I waited a bit, then I looked outside - just in time to see a police cruiser roll past my house! :o

I walked to the end of my driveway, to see where it might be going, and two or three blocks down there were already the flashing blue and red lights of a stationary police car in front of someone's house.

My only thought was "HOORAY!!". :lol:

And the local neighborhood munitions testing ground (LOL - at least it sounds like one!) never started up again!! There were no further booms after those on Wednesday. I'm thinking that maybe on the actual 4th my local police had their hands full, but on the days after they were able to get a jump on things.

For that I am VERY grateful!! :D :D :D

THANKS TO ALL!!!

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:12 pm

Anne I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I had one who suffered terribly also during storms and fireworks. I don't remember what they were but my vet prescribed a medication that I gave before the fireworks started and it worked great. Also when a storm was forecast I would give her one. But you do need to give them ahead of time.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Colliemom » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:53 pm

Anne, I had something I was going to mention about Joe peeing in your bed. My Piper has a tendency to wet her bed at night and she can also do it to the guest bed, which is not made up. Once in a while she does it in my bed, but not very often. Don’t know if she’s doing it in her sleep or on waking up and getting up. But anyway, I have a decorative quilt on my bed that I take off at night. I put a large piece (bed size) of plastic under that quilt all the time and just fold it in the quilt when I take it off at night. Same on my guest bed. So if she happens to wet the quilts, it doesn’t get into the bedding. Works great. Something you might want to consider.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Next

Return to General Talk