Fireworks from a dog's point of view

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Fireworks from a dog's point of view

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:26 pm

Well written and funny - but all too true:

"Fireworks From A Dog's Point Of View":

https://www.startribune.com/fireworks-from-a-dogs-point-of-view/600287085/

This year, for the first time ever, my small town has passed an ordinance against various kinds of fireworks - firecrackers, bottle rockets, bombs, and a few others I forget. Only "safe and sane" fireworks are now allowed, and the sale of them is now very restricted as well.

The ordinance also specifies that fireworks -

"Along with changes to the sales timeframe, fireworks use within city limits will be restricted from noon to 11 p.m. each day between Thursday and July 4. Previously, there was no defined end date for when fireworks could be used."

In the past, my area would start to sound like WWIII from about a week before to a week after the 4th. TWO WEEKS of constant, unrelenting, nigh time booms. Every year there has been some donkey's behind in my neighborhood setting off fireworks all night long on the 4th, up until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. (sometimes even later that that).

And on the nights following the 4th as well (until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.!), up to a week or more after the 4th.

And with the bottle rockets "bursting in air" all up and down my street, I had major concerns that one would land on my roof and catch my house on fire. This very thing HAS happened here in my town although not, thankfully, to me.

Enough is enough!!

I hate to be a grump, but I am very pleased by this. It is no fun being awakened out of a sound sleep at 2:00 a.m. due to a MAJOR, house-shaking, boom, with my dog launching himself at the door trying to escape.

Happy 4th July everyone. Hope you all enjoy your holiday.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Fireworks from a dog's point of view

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:31 pm

We have had that ordinance for quite awhile, dont count on people following it!!!!!
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:10 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:We have had that ordinance for quite awhile, dont count on people following it!!!!!

You are correct. Many are not following it.

However, I have no compunction against calling the police and making a complaint should it get out of hand.

In the past, without any ordinance, all they could say was "too bad, so sad". Now at least there are some guidelines.

And, I am (maybe) noticing an improvement. Thus far tonight - the day before the 4th - I have not heard one single explosion. In years past there would be explosions every few minutes on the days before - and for many days after - the 4th.

One can but hope!!

Edit: Dang, spoke too soon. Three explosions just now @ 9:10 p.m. - and now they are ongoing! Joe is going into crazy mode. :(

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:24 pm

My experience is always the police dont much care, they have other bigger fish to fry so only the law abiding citizens will go elsewhere and watch fireworks but the "special people" do what they want and no consequences.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:08 am

OregonLuvr wrote:My experience is always the police dont much care, they have other bigger fish to fry so only the law abiding citizens will go elsewhere and watch fireworks but the "special people" do what they want and no consequences.

I 100% agree, Karen. Such is the state of the world! :(

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:54 am

Karen, police care, but they can't arrest anyone unless they see it hapoen. They do what they can. It will be all hands on deck ESP tomorrow night in most departments. South ofs the undercover work of police needed 10,000 lbs of illegal fireworks last week.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:15 am

MandysMom wrote:Karen, police care, but they can't arrest anyone unless they see it hapoen. They do what they can. It will be all hands on deck ESP tomorrow night in most departments. South ofs the undercover work of police needed 10,000 lbs of illegal fireworks last week.
Velda

You are correct, Velda. Yikes, 10,000 pounds!! I hope that someday fireworks will be a thing of the past and that laser light shows will replace them.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:30 am

I'm old fashioned, I prefer real fireworks. I haven't had a dog in years, and my cats have watched the pretty lights of our neighborhood show each year. Dogs I owned when younger were never bothered by fireworks.I just wish the illegal stuff would stop. Our safe and sane are pretty. I don't see a laser show ever being good due to aircraft flight patterns. Drones maybe, but no where near as good as real fireworks.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to General Talk