Walking, It's Good for Us

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Walking, It's Good for Us

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:49 am

Thank goodness I've always trained my dogs to walk. That's how I get most of my walking in. Ty and I have done 2 miles this morning. Since we'll be back to 100 or above today, our walk at dusk will probably be shorter (Ty says it's pee and poop and go to bed time lol). But he loves the walks and I need them. You've all seen pictures of us when we have scenic places to walk. But I think it should be done wherever we are. Shirl sent me this pic of her walking hallway. Love it!

Tell us where you walk!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Walking, It's Good for Us

Postby asirimarco » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:16 am

Well my morning walking days are about over. Yesterday I went to the wetlands and got in three miles. But I left home at 6:10. This morning I did n't leave until 6:30, only walked for 1.6 miles - got way too hot. By the end of the week the night lows will only be 81 or more - Even at 6 a.m. it is too hot for me. Wish we had halls to walk in. I can make a circle around living room, dining area, kitchen then bead room back to living room. But start to get dizzy after few laps. I might look into the treadmills in the clubhouse. But after walking on one at doctors testing last week, don't think I'd do it. The mall isn't close enough to drive there to walk. And at dusk it is still going to be over 100 here. Glad I got in the walking I've done till now. The Wetlands, just behind our home. So nice there.
asirimarco

Postby monik7 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:45 pm

There’s a little high-level fog drifting east from the Pacific coast this morning so it will be an hour or so until it clears off to bright sunshine. Our walk this morning was still beautiful.

Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:23 pm

I walk outside when it's not too hot or too cold, but otherwise, I put on a podcast or audio book or a YouTube favorite and walk on my treadmill at a not taxing speed-2.2-2.5 mph, no elevation, for 30-45 min , or sometimes 20 minutes 3 times a day . Carol, if at Drs office, they likely had you monitored and pushed you to your 80% of your max heart rate! You don't have to do that on treadmill for miles. You can set it slow and just walk and listen to music, book, or podcast. realizing I could focus on what I was listening to vs what my feet were doing, made all the difference in my willingness to continue doing it! Play with speed on treadmill to feel about how fast you walk trail. Over time, it's become a thing like brushing my teeth , my day does not feel right without my walk on treadmill! But, if hallway is all you hae, I've done circuits in my house too. My fitbit is a great motivator in that, if I'm close to the next thousand, I get up during each tv ad and do my circuit for duration of ad then watch until next ad ! It's amazing what looking at my fit bit at 10 pm and seeing 8500 will do to my motivation to do house circuit until I hit 10,000 before midnight!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:43 pm

I walk on my road but it's getting so hot that I have to wait until late. I will have to measure it again but I think it's about a mile and a half. I no longer feel comfortable walking to the end of the road because there are people going down our road that I don't know so I don't get out of sight of my house. I tried riding the exercise bike today but I don't know how much of that my knee can take. I have a treadmill but I will have to move the bike and turn the treadmill over so I can vacuum the cat hair up. The motor will suck the cat hair in.

I like Shirl's hall.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:23 pm

after I got Shadow we took walks long walks one day it was close to 5 miles out in the desert loved the walks then for some reason I quit I don't even know why but I would come up with all sorts of reason's for not walking oh I took him out for the pee and poop but no quality walks I wish I hadn't quit it's a habit and one that is hard to restart so take it from me don't quit...
now my excuse is carrying an o2 tank wouldn't be easy... and there is no room to put a treadmill in mom's house... when I walk I like having something to stable me with so want to get some walking sticks anyway at the moment I don't walk
you all have neat area's to walk though even Shirl's hallway I could keep a hand on the walls
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:43 am

Martha, I was told by an orthopedic surgeon who worked on Mel's knee, that a bike was the best exercise for a knee, IF it's properly adjusted for your height and leg length/reach. The non weight bearing, rotation lubricates the knee. He said he was a Dr in a study where they had a group of people they did knee surgery on ( not total knee but scope surgery). Half were instructed to begin pedaling starting with no resistance after initial healing, the others told to do their usual activity as soon as able. After a certain number of months, they re-scoped the knees of both to see what happened. In all cases the knees of those who pedaled were better than the non pedal knees. He said it changed the advice he gave his patients.
Sheila- why dont you contact your oxygen provider and ask for suggestions on a back pack unit to carry oxygen so you have hands free. I've seen people use them.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:52 am

I walk the road in our complex. It's black topped and very even with no hills. One loop is 1-1/2 miles. It's not very scenic, one motorhome and a casita, over and over again. But the sun rises are beautiful.
Irmi

Postby Shirlv » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 pm

Shelia, walking up and down the aisles in the supermarket is exercise. You don’t have to walk 10,00 steps. Can you use a small portable oxygen container when shopping?
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby snowball » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:34 pm

at home I have the concentrater I have a small tank in a pouch that can either be over the shoulder or hand held.... I've asked about getting a portable concentrater but in order to do so I'd have to go through 3 of the small tanks a month for 3 months... I guess to prove I use them I only use them when out of the house... when I go to the store I've been using the electric cart when available I find if I over exert I breath through my mouth which doesn't give you the extra oxygen you are suppose to be getting.. which is another reason why I haven't tried to go out and walk
again it's probably all excuses but it is my thinking
sheila
snowball

Postby Shirlv » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:07 am

Shelia, all valid excuses. You know what is doable for you. Laboring to breathe is a challenge. ((Hugs)))
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:01 pm

I used to get a lot of steps in at work being on my feet every day. but now not so much. No excuse here when it has been cool enough to walk. I do walk a lot when at WM but that is only once a week, if that.
When I was in PT for my sciatica, they had me using the bike and at first I told them I couldn't do it because of my knee. They said it was actually part of the PT for knee issues too. So I got a small peddle machine and use that in my living room while watching TV. I need to use it more often tho. The tension on it doesn't work very well but I think just the motion of peddling is still good either way.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to General Talk