Tipping Issues?????

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Tipping Issues?????

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:33 pm

After my doctor appt today, I stopped at a Domino's pizza and ordered a medium pizza, then waited in the rig for it to be ready. When I went into pay for it, I was given a choice of tip amounts: no tip, 10%, 15%, or 20% (as best as I can remember.) So, the pizza cost $10.15 and I stared at the screen and selected 10%.

I really wanted to select no tip, but since the girl who had fixed the pizza was right in front of my, I chickened out and selected 10% because I felt guilty.

Now, a $1 tip is not huge, but I am getting a bit irritated with this most recent tipping trend. Obviously, I tip well in restaurants and places where I am getting my meal served, but in spite of reading about this new trend, I was really surprised.

So, what do all of you do when you are asked to tip for take-out meals????
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Tipping Issues?????

Postby MandysMom » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:55 am

I never tip take out ! I do tip well for delivered to my door food ( usually sons pizza). I do tip well in restaurants and for services like haircuts. There has been lots of talk and complaint here too about any and all now wanting tips. Just say no! And fast food workers in CA are fighting to unionize and want $20 an hour- to flip burgers!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:40 am

I agree with Velda. If we have a meal from a buffet, we tip 10% for having our drinks refilled and for the courtesy of being checked on. When ordering meals off the menu at a sit down restaurant, I tip well. I can't remember going to a fast food restaurant, but why tip? I wouldn't.
Irmi

Postby Bethers » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 am

Like you, Judy, I caught myself tipping in a similar situation and was somewhat upset with myself. Nope, not again. I've considered tipping some of the people who bring me my groceries, etc to the car, but I'm noticing now the apps say no to that. I, also, dislike the new system with suggested amounts and making us feel we should tip in situations that have never called for it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:50 am

I go by how much "service" I am getting, as to how much to tip, if any. No tip for someone handing me food over the counter! :evil:

As far as raising the pay for fast food workers, that will for sure increase the cost of the food at those places to the point where you may as well eat at a sit-down restaurant and get a better meal! The fast food meals out here are costing me around $10- $15 now (with no drink). Even Taco Bell costs around $8 for two taco supremes and a 2 pack of Cinnabon Delights, and no drink!

Used to make me mad that the fast food people were making more money than me flipping burgers, and I was only making minimum wage. My tips were usually $3-$5 per haircut (sometimes nothing :roll: ) and I had a year+ of education, 20+ years of experience, passing a state boards test and paying for a state license to cut hair. And I was only making about $25K per year (full time) plus tips and spending 20 minutes giving someone a good quality haircut!

Also, I think the people who work at full service restaurants deserve more pay more than the fast food workers. They work hard and also only get minimum wage plus tips. The young people now days feel so entitled!

OK, so how do I really feel about it??? :lol:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:34 am

Since I eat out with groups often I have noticed that some places have going to a 20% tip added to our bills. All of that makes me think twice about whether I want to eat out or just pick up a lunch at the deli. No tipping at the deli, I pay at the register with the rest of my food.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:48 pm

Martha, a lot of restaurants will automatically charge 20% tips for groups since there is more work and time for the server.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:28 pm

I don't like it when they have the suggested tip amount usually I would have tipped more if I don't follow the suggestion... I don't tip fast food places I tip full services ... I can just see them putting tip jars on the gas tanks :roll:
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 am

Barbara, I agree with you, but add- here its not kids working fast food in most places- its adults who say they deserve a middle class income for working at fast food! They want full benefits and a middle class income for flipping burgers and serving fries! Teens around here have trouble finding jobs because fast food workers are adults with families. I find that ridiculous.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby dpf » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:45 pm

I do not tip a counter employee at a fast-food restaurant. They are paid a fair wage. I tip at a sit-down restaurant because the employer is only required to pay tippable servers federal minimum wage which is 2.13 (which I think is a shame). In some dining establishments the servers actually rent tables and depend only on tips. I usually tip 25%. I will not put the tip on my credit card but leave cash on the table. I hate it when places require the servers to pool their tips and divide it at the end of a shift. When I bartend, I really don’t expect a tip because I am paid a very fair wage…. It’s nice to get one but I’m not bent out of shape if I don’t. You must remember it’s a small rural town…my tips are often verbal. “Plant your corn early” or “Don’t take any wooden nickels”. :lol: Also, most of the patrons at the bar know I work to give Jim and Pam a break to do something together, I get out of the house, and I don’t need the wages to survive. Barbie is going to have verify this. I was told when it comes to cosmetologists if the person is the owner of the shop you don’t tip. If the person rents a chair in the shop or is paid an hourly wage or works on a commission, then you should tip.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:10 pm

Pat, the lady that cuts my hair owns her shop. I tip her because she is usually having to clean up the mess I made cutting my own hair. :lol:

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:14 pm

Pat, I haven't heard that about owners. I believe that you are tipping for the work that is being done and, in the case of hair stylists, the talent/expertise/creativity that is used to do a good quality haircut, regardless of whether they own the shop or not.
I also would connect with my customers personally by talking with them about their lives, etc. whatever they wanted to share. The more I connected with them that way, the more of a tip I would get, so there is that personal connection as well and the actual haircut. If someone really loved what I did with their hair, that meant more to me than how much they tipped me. My job was to make people happy and to feel better about themselves, so if I could accomplish that, I did my job well!

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to General Talk