Panting Dogs in Hot Weather

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Panting Dogs in Hot Weather

Postby Cudedog » Wed May 31, 2023 11:30 am

Thought this topic deserved it's own thread. . .

Othersharon wrote:
I’ve been trying to walk Buddy every day. Luckily the road is dirt and lots of shade from the trees but have still needed to shorten the walk since he starts panting pretty hard. Even with water now and again. I have to remember he’s still just a puppy. He’d probably go until he drops or at least I would!

Good morning, Sharon!

I have had Staffordshire Bull Terriers for around 40 +/- (yes, forty!) years. Staffords are a short-faced, brachycephalic breed (large skull, short snout) and as such can have difficulty cooling themselves by panting. The same difficulty experienced by most short-faced dog breeds.

Staffords can also be a relatively high-energy breed (particularly when young) so they do need their daily, intense, "ball-toss", and/or a long, fast, walk. This can be a definite problem when temps are inching up into the mid-90's (over about 95 they get to miss that day's exercise - or I schedule it for early morning).

Staffords can become dangerously over-heated. What I have done for many years now is to take a small spray bottle on our walks and give my dogs a good soaking when they begin to pant too hard. Of course, dogs don't sweat, they cool themselves mostly by panting.

LOL.

This can look a bit strange to the casual onlooker when I am on a walk, particularly if one's dog is a male - because one needs to spray the parts with the least amount of hair (so the water can actually get to bare skin), which on Staffords is on the belly, between the back legs, and the "nether regions". :oops: :lol: Spraying them on the back doesn't work, because the oil in their coat just make the water roll off, and not soak in.

When I am doing "ball-toss" in hot weather in the back yard, I just have my garden hose standing by and give them a good soak from head to tail when they get hot and begin to pant. At first I found that my dogs were a bit apprehensive and confused by this; once they figured out what was coming they begged for the hose.

A quick shake (by the dog!) and most of the water is off; a quick toweling by the back door before going inside takes care of most of the rest of it.

This daily hosing in hot weather keeps them pretty clean as well, and they love it.

You might have said what kind of breed your Buddy is, but I have forgotten. It really is important in hot weather to help cool one's dog in this way, and not just to leave them panting.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Panting Dogs in Hot Weather

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:02 pm

I have a friend that has three Australian Shepards and she puts a child's pool out and a grass sprinkler. She calls it her waterpark and the dogs love it. It would probably make a mess if you only have a yard but she lives on a farm and has a lot of room. I should get a pool for Sugar. She would go in the pond if I would let her but the water is dirty.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Re: Panting Dogs in Hot Weather

Postby Bethers » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:40 pm

I had a kiddie pool for Moxie. I only needed a couple inches of water and she'd lay in there for hours, happy as could be. I always put the coldest water possible, sometimes adding ice cubes. And changed it every day. When I'd go out of town for work, the people who watched her and Tips bought one just for her. Obviously she loved them, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk