weird food combinations

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: weird food combinations

Postby Shirlv » Sun May 14, 2023 6:13 pm

Beth, thanks for the memory . My favorite aunt and 5 yr old me use to eat stinky onion sandwich’s with butter. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun May 14, 2023 6:38 pm

My English heritage is cucumber tea sandwiches my grandmother made me. I also like tomato sandwiches. I eat my fruit unadulterated LOL I dont think I eat anything weird. I have a delicate palate apparently hee hee
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Shirlv » Sun May 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Karen, My ancestry is primarily English also. I love cucumbers, use them in place of chips. A favorite snack is a cucumber slice on herb cream cheese smear on a Ritz cracker. What goes on a cucumber sandwich?
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun May 14, 2023 7:23 pm

Shirl just cucumber salt and pepper on thin sliced bread with a tad of mayo .And the crusts cut off and cut into triangles. She called them tea sandwiches. My grandmother was very traditional. "Spot of tea" and lemon bars or scones for afternoon tea. She always had them waiting when I got home. I also loved her sausage rolls, they were the best. Oh I know something odd (people think it is anyway is steak and kidney pie.....YUM or creamed kidneys on toast. I guess I have eaten some weird things, but oh so good.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Sun May 14, 2023 8:21 pm

My mom did the cucumber sandwiches as you described. She also did tomato one which she and my sister liked. I loved the cucumber ones but have never been a big tomato fan so skipped those. You lost me with creamed kidneys though lol (since it's mother's day, I'll comment that my mother, I'm sure, would have loved them).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun May 14, 2023 8:46 pm

Beth the creamed kidneys were more like sauteed cooked sliced kidney pieces in a white sauce, sorta like sausage gravy. LOL I liked the steak and kidney pie better.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby JudyJB » Sun May 14, 2023 9:25 pm

I had forgotten about cucumber sandwiches. I had those as tea sandwiches on the QE2 in 2003. And Pret a Manger in the UK had chicken sandwiches with cucumber on them. Very good and really not weird.

I think onion sandwiches were originally workmen's sandwiches, although not sure of that.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Mon May 15, 2023 12:00 am

I just watched the chick on Mediterranean Dish do a cucumber sandwich and it seems like I've had them but years and years ago so not sure if its an actual memory or what ... they do sound good...
when I make a tuna salad as I'm assembling it I will add chips to the sandwich as well as lettuce...
I like the idea of a pot luck of our weird sandwiches ... it would give us an opportunity to try them all :lol: this has been a treat I love peanut butter and banana sandwich grilled or not
of course some probably think cake and dip would be weird till they try it...
I recently read an article on how bread and butter pickles got their name... possibly due to the pickle and butter sandwich
sheila
snowball

Postby Redetotry » Mon May 15, 2023 6:31 am

Acadianmom wrote:I like salt on my watermelon and apples. I put apples in my tuna fish salad. My sister made a tuna fish salad to take camping and it was almost like soup. I don't know what she put in it. I haven't made one in so long that I don't remember what all I use to put in tuna salad but Harold requested it often.

I have friends that put lime slices and salt in their beer. I have never tried that and I seldom drink beer. I like dark draft beer but never know what to order in a restaurant so seldom do.

Martha

Martha if you like draft beer not many places have it but Guinness is one of my favorites. Also not dark but Sam Adams on draft is another of my favorites. It changes with the seasons and I like them all.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Redetotry » Mon May 15, 2023 6:38 am

JudyJB wrote:I had forgotten about cucumber sandwiches. I had those as tea sandwiches on the QE2 in 2003. And Pret a Manger in the UK had chicken sandwiches with cucumber on them. Very good and really not weird.

I think onion sandwiches were originally workmen's sandwiches, although not sure of that.

Judy your reference to the QE2 made me think of an episode of Keeping Up Appearances where Hyacinth kept referring to the QE2. You can see episodes on uTube or Brit Box. They are doing reruns on our local PBS stations.
I only like cucumbers in my smoothies where you can't really taste them. They are apparently very good for you.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cudedog » Mon May 15, 2023 10:09 am

Redetotry wrote:I only like cucumbers in my smoothies where you can't really taste them. They are apparently very good for you.

Interesting how everyone's tastes are a bit different! For myself, I love cucumbers, for me, a salad is not a salad withouth cucumbers! I also like them sliced and marinated a bit in vinegar.

In the past I have grown Lemon cucumbers (look like small yellow lemons), Armenian cucumbers (the skin is white, and they can be a foot long or more, and curly!) and several different varieties of your usual green tubular cukes. My current favorite for the "long green" variety is Ashley cucumbers.

YUM!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Mon May 15, 2023 12:07 pm

I love cucumbers! And have used cucumbers as the base.. for tuna, peanut butter, you name it. Yum.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Mon May 15, 2023 12:33 pm

Closest I can think of weird is my husbands PBBLT. It's exactly as you might guess: peanut butter on one slice of bread, mayo on the other and bacon, lettuce and tomato in the middle! I thought Mel was nuts first time he set one in front of me! I've modified since he passed to be no bread, ingredients wrapped in bi romaine leaf, however , the only thing on it I'd eat now is the bacon! I'm just not fond of peanut butter, though I ate it once in a while from my 20's through 60's, I just almost never eat it now as it just doesn't sound good and is from plants!
One of my grandfathers used to ask that when Grandma made popcorn, a bowl be saved for him to put cream and sugar on for breakfast the next morning- an early version of puffers corn cereal I guess!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Mon May 15, 2023 3:19 pm

I love reading about all of your conglomerations!

I still make appetizers with cocktail bread, they're about 2 x 2" square, put on a little mayo and a slice of cucumber with lemon pepper on top. Cucumbers are a staple in our house and on every salad I make.
Irmi

Postby snowball » Mon May 15, 2023 11:23 pm

one veggie that we found while in in Q was watermelon radish would find it at the farmers stand in CA not that it is weird but Anne talking about the various cucumbers reminded me of it...
when growing up again because we lived on a ranch you eat a lot of stuff we don't now like the heart of a big animal like elk or deer or beef... but I could only eat it with mustard... and when I have liver which I will eat if I hear of a place that is suppose to have good liver it needs mustard as does my sausage patties... or links :roll: I get looks when in a restaurant having sausage and have to ask for mustard

sheila
snowball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk