weird food combinations

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

weird food combinations

Postby snowball » Fri May 12, 2023 11:36 pm

I read this thing the other day about weird food combinations that people use or perhaps have heard of... I thought that might be sorta fun some combinations are region others are family or an individual so play along with me ok??? :lol: some of the combinations I actually did others I thought hmmm might try that others NO WAY could I eat that
one lady said she liked salt on fruit which is my thing I like salt on watermelon as well as pepper on cantaloupe oranges when I cut them in half as well as apples... she mentioned plums never thought of that need to get some and try it...
what are foods that you like to combine weird to others or not????
sheila
snowball

Re: weird food combinations

Postby Cudedog » Sat May 13, 2023 1:44 am

snowball wrote:I read this thing the other day about weird food combinations that people use or perhaps have heard of... I thought that might be sorta fun some combinations are region others are family or an individual so play along with me ok??? :lol: some of the combinations I actually did others I thought hmmm might try that others NO WAY could I eat that
one lady said she liked salt on fruit which is my thing I like salt on watermelon as well as pepper on cantaloupe oranges when I cut them in half as well as apples... she mentioned plums never thought of that need to get some and try it...
what are foods that you like to combine weird to others or not????
sheila

Sheila, I definitely like salt on refrigerator-cold watermelon when I have been working outside on a hot day!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby JudyJB » Sat May 13, 2023 8:13 am

Speaking of salt, I have always liked salt on watermelon.

Also, when I was about 13, I used to occasionally spend nights at a nearby cottage with a friend about my age. We used to eat lemons with salt, also. And I had an aunt who always put salt in her beer!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cudedog » Sat May 13, 2023 10:34 am

JudyJB wrote:Speaking of salt, I have always liked salt on watermelon.

Also, when I was about 13, I used to occasionally spend nights at a nearby cottage with a friend about my age. We used to eat lemons with salt, also. And I had an aunt who always put salt in her beer!

Oh, yes!! As a child, I used to LOVE lemons with salt. I would eat them every chance that I got, and would beg my mother to buy them, when I couldn't beg them off of a neighbor who had a lemon tree. I actually craved lemons.

Interestingly, after I hit puberty, the cravings slowly diminished over time. And while I would eat lemons with salt once in a while after that, I no longer craved them. By the time I hit my thirties, I rarely ate lemons.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Acadianmom » Sat May 13, 2023 12:19 pm

I like salt on my watermelon and apples. I put apples in my tuna fish salad. My sister made a tuna fish salad to take camping and it was almost like soup. I don't know what she put in it. I haven't made one in so long that I don't remember what all I use to put in tuna salad but Harold requested it often.

I have friends that put lime slices and salt in their beer. I have never tried that and I seldom drink beer. I like dark draft beer but never know what to order in a restaurant so seldom do.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Sat May 13, 2023 6:51 pm

We did salt on lots of fruits. I remember people putting salt in their beer. I need to think on what strange things we did. My mind is blank right now but I'm sure there were lots.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat May 13, 2023 7:48 pm

A guy I used to work with put Tomato juice in beer. I asked him why, and he said so he didn't get drunk as fast. Yuck!
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby chalet05 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:05 pm

Yes to salt on watermelon. Tomato juice with beer is very popular.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Sat May 13, 2023 11:16 pm

of course salt on lemon but never have tried it on limes...
in the article they had a picture of a peanut butter sandwich with pickles not tried that my friend that is almost a sister's husband used to eat peanut butter sandwiches with mayo not tried it either perhaps I ought to make a peanut butter sandwiches half pickles half mayo :lol:
apple in tuna fish salad I bet was good it was as a salad not sandwich right??
so keep thinking of other things you eat that perhaps you might thing weird to others
did I mention that my roommate liked mustard on her grilled cheese.... I actually tried that it was good
sheila
snowball

Postby Acadianmom » Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 am

When I was in college after you got to be a junior you didn't have to buy a meal ticket to the cafateria. I remember eating pickle and mayonnaise sandwiches when we were desperate. We would eat so much junk that I would actually crave vegetables. Back then they didn't have all the fast food places we have now.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Shirlv » Sun May 14, 2023 8:32 am

My father liked gingersnaps and sharp cheese.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby chalet05 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:46 am

Peanut butter and dill pickles - yummy! Hadn’t thought of that in a long while
Anita
chalet05

Postby JudyJB » Sun May 14, 2023 3:10 pm

OK, here is something I still like to eat--radish sandwiches! You have to butter the bread--too strong without it, but just wash and slice radishes on buttered bread, salt it, and it makes a yummy, crispy sandwich. In fact, I am making bread right now, so will check to see if I have any radishes when it is done.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Sun May 14, 2023 3:11 pm

Now, if we were having a real get-together, we could each bring the strange things we like to eat and have a great afternoon!!!!
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Sun May 14, 2023 5:34 pm

I used to eat dill pickles with just about anything, including peanut butter, but wouldn't touch peanut butter and jelly. And I've had and enjoyed radish sandwiches. My mother would eat just about any vegetable as a sandwich. My favorite were onion sandwiches. I preferred white onions but would take any kind. Great memories and I know I have a white onion, hmmm.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk