Trailer decor

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Trailer decor

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:22 am

I have a question and would like some feedback. I have a Rockwood Mini lite 18' and as you are all probably aware, the decor in these trailers leave a bit to be desired. Brown on brown and more brown. I have added colorful curtains, pillows, rugs etc. Pictures of family and colored pictures from my granddaughter. I'm thinking of painting the brown cupboards and leaving the walls. I'm not going to go wild, maybe a light off blue. Do you think this will decrease the sale value when I'm done with it, or am I over thinking this?
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Re: Trailer decor

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:53 am

I never worry about resale unless I am going to do something wild and crazy and it doesnt sound like you are so I say go for it. Unless you plan on selling it in the near future I would do what makes you happy. So many people thinking of selling do all the upgrades just to get a bigger price when they could have enjoyed it for several years. I am not that person. LOL I may paint and spruce it up if thinking of selling but all my improvements are for my enjoyment. I recently had the bathroom tubs taken out and 2 walk in showers put in. I am totally enjoying them.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:35 am

What Karen said. I think most who upgrade might have more of a specific audience, but they'd probably pay more for those nice changes. That said, you should enjoy what you've got!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:42 am

Check YouTube. There are a ton of decorating idea on there! Lots of people are doing that.

Personally, I don't like the dark cabinets and upholstery they put in RVs and TTs. Makes a small space look even smaller and can be depressing when stuck in there on rainy days. Many people are going with much lighter colors to make the space look more cheerful and larger.

Painting cabinets are a big job but if you are up to it, go for it! You can re-cover the cushions yourself, too. Any RV I get, I plan to immediately remove the window valences and replace them with curtains to make it look more homey.

Do whatever will make you happy in your space. The choices are limitless! Have fun (and don't forget before and after photos for us!! :D ).
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:10 pm

Barbara, I just sewed new material over the curtains that were in the trailer and the same with the tie backs. This gave it more of a room darkener look at night and more structure to the curtains.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:42 pm

That is a good start!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:42 pm

Go for it... if people don't like what you did if and when you go to sell the RV then they can change it... I so need to do something to mine... when I get back into it it seems daunting but I have a bigger rig... have fun with it
sheila
and like Barbie said before and after pictures will be great
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:27 am

I agree with the brown over brown over brown that RV manufacturers think we prefer. I know they are trying to be neutral, but why not a lot of beige instead of brown???

I also like color, and am really thinking of painting my cabinet doors and drawers. But I was planning on trying to match the same dark brown because the rest of the cabinets were the fake wood paper, and I cannot paint it. However, I would REALLY like to see the photos of your light blue doors.

Wish I were more talented. Maybe beige doors and drawers over dark brown cabinets??? Again, I would love to see your results, so please provide us with photos before and after.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Pooker » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am

Judy, etc. - Funny, but when I was RV shopping a few years back I kept saying isn't there something other than boring beige? The mfg. all seem to go into trends and never listen to customers. (Carpet, anyone? Did we have a choice?) Someone once asked me why I would put up with something just so the next owner would like it the way it was.

Over the weekend I visited a vintage RV party at a local RV park. You should see what those folks have been able to do with those old trailers!

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:42 am

Thanks for your opinions and info everyone. If the weather ever warms up here, I'm going to try to get it done before I start camping. I will try to remember to take photos.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:38 pm

I think now a lot of the new ones are gray. That is one color I really don't like!

I also have the wood grain paper over by cabinets in my park model. Last year in my bedroom, I put contact paper on the middle of each door and drawer and it really brightened it up. That might be an option too. If you have real wood in your RV, you can peel it off when you get tired of it. Just something to consider.

Here are the doors and drawers with the contact paper on them...

and here is a close-up...(the color on the paper is actually brown but looks gray in the photo)

I saw an RV on CL the other day that someone had put some big crazy decals on, and then on the inside they painted one half of the cabinets in the living area bright teal blue, and the other side hot pink. Then the cabinets in the kitchen and bath were painted teal but sanded down to look shabby chic. Then the furniture was lavender! It was atrocious! :o In the listing part, she said the outside decals were brand new and the inside paint and furniture was also brand new. Who would do that to their RV right before trying to sell it?? And she is asking a lot of money for it!

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:12 pm

Rosemary, I just read this. Kind of anything goes.

https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/rv-upgrades/
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Colliemom » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:13 am

Friend of mine has done that with her trailers and never had an issue with resale. She paints the walls rather than the cupboards. Like you, she puts up new curtains and decorates the walls. Chalk paint works good on cabinets. I would just go for it. Sometimes think one of the reasons why the manufacturers tend to stay neutral is because they know that people are going to do their own thing and it also keeps Voss down. Brown is universal because you can throw pretty much any color against it. I have seen some of the new trailers out now that are all in black and silver and I hate it. They look way too modern.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:17 am

Beth, that was an interesting article, thanks. I had considered painting the walls instead of the cabinets, but it looks easier to do the cabinet fronts and trim, but not the inside of the cabinets. Yes, I was going to use chalk paint as you don't have to sand the wood prior to painting. But weather still cool here, I think spring has missed us. Hoping it warms up soon!
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Return to General Talk