Replacement for Norton Anti-Virus

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Replacement for Norton Anti-Virus

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:22 am

I have had it with Norton Anti-Virus. I am currently signed up for Norton 360 and since my credit card was cancelled last year, they cannot automatically renew it, but have been sending me constant renewal notices.

The most irritating thing about Norton is that they keep sending you notices that you should sign up for a more expensive package containing things I do not need. I will bet than in the past year they have sent me 100 notices that i should install a virtual private network, which I do not need or want as my mobile hotspots are secure and password protected. They also keep trying to get me to sign up for LifeLock and parental controls, plus a bunch of other garbage I do not need. Also want me to add my phone to my program.

Also, they charge you a very cheap price but the renewal is about 55% higher--$89 for the one I currently have. I really just want a basic antivirus control program--no cloud storage, no other things added, no cam security, etc.

So, any recommendations from those of you who are a bit technologically savvy?? At least more than I am???
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Replacement for Norton Anti-Virus

Postby MandysMom » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:50 am

We like Malwarebytes here. Rates highly on computer tech sites and it's stopped anything g thrown at it so far.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:48 am

Judy, if you have a Windows machine (Windows 10 or 11) the already-included, already-built-in, no-extra-charge, no-constant-inducements-to-buy-more-stuff, Windows Security works really well.

From Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/stay-protected-with-windows-security-2ae0363d-0ada-c064-8b56-6a39afb6a963

Independent review from PC World:

"Windows Security review: Basic but effective protection built into Windows":
https://www.pcworld.com/article/398361/windows-security-av-review.html

The hard part will be getting Norton completely uninstalled, so that Windows Security can work properly. Norton takes precedence. Actually, you will need to get Norton gone no matter what new security software you choose.

And good luck with that!!

These days Norton itself has become very virus-like, its tentacles worming their way into remote corners of your computer's hard drive, taking control. You will probably need to reformat your hard drive to totally get rid of, and completely eliminate, Norton. Even Norton phone tech support couldn't get Norton gone.

Reformatting your hard drive will do the trick. LOL. On the other hand, sometimes just buying a new computer is a lot easier.

Ask me how I know.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby chalet05 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:03 pm

Judy, I'm also getting rid of Norton and researching!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Cudedog » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:22 pm

PS.

Judy, if you decide to reformat your hard drive, be sure that all of your files - and I do mean everything - is backed up to external media (external hard drive, etc.)

A reformat wipes the hard drive clean, and all folders, files and programs will be gone, and will need to be reinstalled from your back up.

LOL. Just be sure not to reinstall Norton.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:51 pm

Ok I will ask it so I'm the one asking a dumb question and the rest of you can learn from the answer :lol:
if Norton is almost like a virus worming it's way into the little nooks and crannys? how do you back up stuff without backing up Norton as well.. and then putting it back into the newly created hard drive???
just wondering
sheila
snowball

Postby Cudedog » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:44 pm

snowball wrote:Ok I will ask it so I'm the one asking a dumb question and the rest of you can learn from the answer :lol: if Norton is almost like a virus worming it's way into the little nooks and crannys? how do you back up stuff without backing up Norton as well.. and then putting it back into the newly created hard drive???
just wondering
sheila

Not a dumb question at all, Sheila. In Fact, it is a very good question.

Thank you.

What I said above. . .

These days Norton itself has become very virus-like, its tentacles worming their way into remote corners of your computer's hard drive, taking control. You will probably need to reformat your hard drive to totally get rid of, and completely eliminate, Norton. Even Norton phone tech support couldn't get Norton gone.

Note that I said a computers hard drive. . .

When one reformats one's hard drive, all of the information on that hard drive is (or should be) eliminated - including the operating system (I'm speaking of Windows machines here).

After the reformat is completed - which might take a couple of hours - the operating system must then be reinstalled, next comes whatever security software one intends to use needs to be installed and activated, then (and only then) all of the backed-up folders, and the files within them, can be reinstalled as well.

If you don't reinstall Norton, no part of it can be there - unless you put it there after the reformat. Norton was on your hard drive, and your hard drive has just been erased. I have never heard of Norton inhabiting non-executable files that a user has created.

Fun topic. Anyone else care to jump in on this?

Another way to explain this is that the hard drive itself is not backed up - just those folders and files on the hard drive that you have chosen to back up.

It is assumed that no "origin-unknown files" that might contain executable code are backed up, and then are thus not reinstalled.

As an example of "origin-unknown files", I'm talking about maybe some cute little computer game that you maybe heard about from cousin Ginny that has gnomes or something doing interesting things while running in the foreground while one plays a fun game.

The problem being is that one can never tell what else this cute little game might also be running in the background that you can't see.

Maybe it's all well and good - probably it is. . . but maybe it has hidden executable code that is copying your address book, or looking at any banking transactions you may have made on your computer, and copying - and sharing - your bank account numbers.

So never save to backup any files of unknown or dubious origin, like when maybe someone tells you on Facebook or somewhere that you should download this cute little game, because it is a lot of fun. . . Probably best not to download such files in the first place.

By and large, files that you have created yourself ("yourself" being the key word here) using software from a known and reliable software vendor - for example Microsoft Word files, Excel spreadsheets, Adobe Photoshop images, etc. - will likely be fine. Because you created them yourself using known and tested software from a known and reliable software vendor.

How about that random .pdf floating there on your desktop that you might have downloaded from somewhere you don't remember, or maybe that Excel spreadsheet that you got from someone on FaceBook?

Word to the wise: Both .pdf's and spreadsheets can contain hidden executable code.

Download at your own risk.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby chalet05 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:20 pm

Doing a little more research and learned the Microsoft Windows Defender is only good if you are using Edge as your browser. I am but know many have switched to others.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Cudedog » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:06 am

chalet05 wrote:Doing a little more research and learned the Microsoft Windows Defender is only good if you are using Edge as your browser. I am but know many have switched to others.

Thank you, Anita.

It is, of course, up to each one of us, individually, to install and maintain whatever software that we feel best fits our own specific computer security requirements.

This from the official Microsoft website regarding the built-in Windows Security Application specifically for Windows 10 and Windows 11, as discussed earlier:

"Windows 10 and 11 include Windows Security, which provides the latest antivirus protection. Your device will be actively protected from the moment you start Windows. Windows Security continually scans for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. In addition to this real-time protection, updates are downloaded automatically to help keep your device safe and protect it from threats."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/stay-protected-with-windows-security-2ae0363d-0ada-c064-8b56-6a39afb6a963

There is quite a lot of interesting additional information under the above link as well.

Here is a review from PC World:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/398361/windows-security-av-review.html

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Colliemom » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:24 am

I use Trend Micro Maximum Security. Was recommended by my former computer guru. I have been using it now for a number of years and I have never had an issue of any kind with my computer. I have never had to have the computer repaired or anything due to a virus or malware or anything. And they have a great tech-support. If you do have a problem, they can remotely correct it for you. I have it on both of my Apple iPads, and also on my phone, and I had it on my computer which I no longer use due to it’s now being unsupported by Microsoft. It s also scanning my incoming WiFI and router. https://www.pcworld.com/article/402063/ ... eview.html

Granted, it is not a cheap software, but once you download it, you can forget about it.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Return to General Talk