Work fiasco...

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Work fiasco...

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:19 pm

Well, I just quit my job...
I went in this morning and it was busy. But a huge fight broke out between my manager and the other stylist. I finally tried to break it up and told both of them to stop and deal with it later. But they kept going at each other again (verbally) and getting progressively louder and nastier, so I stepped in again 2 more times. I told the manager to knock it off because we had a lobby full of customers and if he didn't stop, I would leave. He finally stopped, and then I had to say the same to the stylist.

My customer was very upset. She said she just wanted to go home. I told her that I was almost done and apologized for the incident and told her I wouldn't charge her for her haircut. As soon as I checked her out, I went to go into the break room to get my things (I decided to leave anyways) but the door was locked. The other stylist was in there on the phone with someone (while her poor customer was still sitting in her chair wondering what was going on). I finally got in there and told her I was leaving.

I am still just shaking! I don't deal with stuff like that very well, especially now with all the stress I am already dealing with. I refuse to work with such immature hotheads, especially a manager who doesn't know how to act professional.

I just sent a text to the GM saying I was resigning as of today. Finances will be tight but I get my first SS check in a couple weeks. Hopefully, I can find a part-time job for awhile until the house sells.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Work fiasco...

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:52 pm

Barbie, they have no excuses and I think you did the right thing. What a mess, though. Go lay down for a bit and relax. Hugs!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:44 pm

Hello Barbie.

I definitely think you did the right thing.

Under the circumstances, you may (or may not) qualify for unemployment insurance. It's definitely worth looking in to. One can apply online:

https://edd.ca.gov/en/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim

I think "violence in the workplace":

https://hrcalifornia.calchamber.com/hr-library/workplace-safety/violence-in-workplace

or maybe "unsafe working conditions" or "hostile work environment" should definitely be a factor in your favor.

Good luck.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:02 pm

So sorry you had to deal with all that! Glad you are safely home! Get some rest. Watch a mindless movie, listen to music, play with Romeow!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:47 pm

I agree. You did the only thing you could do, and it was right. And do go for unemployment. At least apply and as Anne suggested, list unsafe working conditions or workplace violence or something!!!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:14 am

wow ... makes you wonder if they were teenagers,,, it can't hurt to apply or unemployment... that just seems so unreal very unprofessional of both of them... glad you have removed yourself from the environment.
I wish I could think of the name of the movie that Larry and I would put on when it was more stressful but it's not coming to my mind but it made us laugh
when I was a teenager we (the family) went to a movie that just made all laugh dad laughed so hard (thinking about it later driving home) that we worried about staying on the road.. called Zots not sure of the spelling... Tom Postum maybe was the star but not sure of that but so funny
take care relax and perhaps spread the word that you can cut more hair through out the park
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:38 am

Info about getting unemployment due to a hostile work environment...

"You may find yourself subject to treatment that you don't like or that makes you unhappy or uncomfortable, but if you voluntarily leave your job, you won’t be able to collect unemployment unless you can prove your work environment was hostile under the law. You must have quit based upon your treatment as a protected class – in other words, the abuse aimed at you is based on your gender, sexual orientation, age, race, nationality, religion or disability, or because you blew the whistle on your employer's practices."
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:08 am

Barbie, I an so sorry about the situation at work. Because Calif is such a screwed up state, if I were you I would go ahead and apply for unemployment no matter what you’ve read. Although I took voluntary layoff, I went ahead and applied for unemployment and was given it! Just a suggestion.
I hope you are feeling a little better today. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby monik7 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:59 pm

I was going to reply yesterday and then changed my mind because I didn’t want to discourage you, but here goes. When I got married, I was forced to quit my job as a flight attendant. I then went to work for the State of California interviewing applicants and determining eligibility for unemployment insurance according to the Unemployment Insurance law at that time. Based on your description and the law and rules waaay back then, I feel you would have been disqualified for unemployment insurance. However, times have changed. I think you should go ahead and apply and see what happens. You’ll never know without trying.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Return to General Talk