Aint technology wonderful -when it works

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Aint technology wonderful -when it works

Postby asirimarco » Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am

I'm sitting here in the house using my lap top running wireless off the motorhome. Our house Internet (satellite) has been mostly off for the past couple of weeks. Thought it was all the rain but it appears to be something with the system. So haven't been able to go on line. In fact am now canceling that system for good. Yesterday we had MotoSat - Datastorm installed in the Alfa and I can pick up the wireless from the house yippeee. Going to get HughesNet for the house too the dish should be up sometime next week- so when we travel I can just switch it from one to the other - instead of worrying about suspending one here or there. Make sense? Supposed to work from Alaska to Mexico. We'll see.
The painter got disgusted with all the rain so she went to Michigan for a few days. Wouldn't you know it stopped raining right after she left and hasn't rained since and supposed to be clear until Wednesday - the day she is supposed to come back - then rain from Wed evening on for days. awkkkkkkkkkk. All the dogwoods are blooming now, the red buds have already lost their flowers and leafed out.
The ground is so saturated here that when the wind picks up the trees start going down, Had lots of power outages....Such fun.
Think tomorrow I'll try walking down the hill and look for Morel Mushrooms, supposed to be lots growing down there. Don't know what I'm looking for so that should be interesting.
Enough rambling on - need to work on my window for a while.
asirimarco

Re: Aint technology wonderful -when it works

Postby avalen » Sun May 03, 2009 1:31 pm

thats a good idea, I'm all for consolidating systems so you only end up paying for one.
I actually just got rid of my cable, bought the converter box and found out I don't miss
any of the channels I paid for using the cable. Now, as soon as I figure out where my
savings will be when I get my aircard I'll be able to discontinue the land line. I think
thats next year though when I get my new laptop.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Great idea to consolidate your internet service. I use my aircard for both home and traveling, don't have a separate internet service for home. The aircard doesn't work everywhere, but so far it hasn't been a problem. I won't use it while in Canada though, as my Nationwide service doesn't include that. I may look into a satellite system some day if and when I get a larger mh and decide to full-time, although I have seen sats on B-vans too. Right now, I don't feel the need.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Getupngo » Sun May 03, 2009 4:26 pm

I'm no techo-phobe, but your explanation made my head hurt. :lol: :lol:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby soisew » Sun May 03, 2009 4:47 pm

I hear ya! We've had trouble recently with our Verizon air card. When it rains or is windy I think the trees wiggle the cell signal from the tower so -- it drops off line. And, I think Verizon's servers are busy a lot because we lose the Internet even when the signal is strong. I think the air card providers are being over whelmed with users just like other servers so...I fully expect that problem to increase for a while. Once we get moved to the new home site we'll be higher in the terrain and maybe not have signal issues. But until Verizon is completely merged with Altell and build another tower we are pretty much stuck with spotty extended network signal! Ah, yes, technology is cool until....
soisew

Postby Echo » Sun May 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Oh heavens now that is Luxury!!!

I would so love to be able to get HughsNet when we get an RV!! Gonna take a lot of saving of pennies for that tho! ~sigh~
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun May 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Be careful Echo, I only went to Yuma to buy the Hughes dish for the internet and look what happened!!! Now I own property there...but I love love love my little casita and the peacefulness of the desert.
Carol we had the internet in all of Mexico and we have pretty much went to the areas you have been in . We did lose the reception in Canada after Cultus Lake and had none in Alaska. We are on 83 so it does not work, too low. Hannah and Joe had two other satellites to pick from and so we bounced off them in Canada and Alaska. Out of 4 Alfas we had some kind of reception off at least two. Dan got the Birddog ( expensive but worth it) helps him find the satellite fast...ours is on a tripod , not on the roof ( too many trees in WA to dodge!), it also helps us find the direcTV satellite too....also for the portable.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby snowball » Mon May 04, 2009 12:35 am

ok Carol be careful take someone who knows morals the wild mushrooms with you tell you can tell the right ones the not right ones are really bad!!!
and maybe that is why I had problems on the internet the other day
sheila
snowball

Postby asirimarco » Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 am

right now I'm just glad to be back on line. Some time this week someone is supposed to come and install the dish on the house so we can get Internet with our regular PCs. Debated a lot about the expense but that fiasco in Mexico when my credit card company screwed up and shut down our account _ for those of you that don't know - after we left home the credit card company sent us new cards (we had told them we were going to be traveling) anyway the PO doesn't forward creditr cards so we never got them. We found out about what was happeneing while still in the states, called the company they said they fixed the problem and don't worry everything was okay. HA - While on the beach in Mexico we discovered the card didn't work any more. And that is the card all my household bills were supposed to be paid on. What a mess. Internet service there was very spotty - cell phone service was spotty - after a day and half of swearing and sweating I thought I'd taken care of everything. Turns out some of the things I thought I took care of never went through as Internet would go off and on. So this is one reason we went ahead with it. My nerves couldn't take another fiasco like that one. Amazing what we get used to and now can't get along with out it.
Sometimes I think it would be agood idea to just go back to pencil and paper again. Today I have to call our other Internet service and tell them Hasta La Vista and see if they'll not charge me for the last 4 days that there service hasn't worked. And after that good laugh I'll post this.
asirimarco

Postby Bethers » Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Carol,
Morels don't look at all like other mushrooms - so go online and get a good picture. They will hide in shadows at the base of trees. People from Indiana used to come stay at our motel (when I owned one there) to gather them - big bucks in them there when they are in season.

Sounds great on the internet. Really have wanted the DataStorm for 4 years - still haven't been able to convince myself to get it yet. Someday :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk