Sad news about my Etsy jewelry. . . :-(

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Sad news about my Etsy jewelry. . . :-(

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:52 pm

Hello everyone.

Due to our ongoing discussions here about security issues, and about the spammers and scammers and hacking we have talked about lately here on this forum, this following news would probably have made me laugh, were it not so sad for me. And had it not hit me quite squarely on the chin when I least expected such a hit.

It seems that I am in process of being booted off the Etsy platform because I refuse to comply with the new way Etsy will be handling payments to Etsy sellers.

I was going to post my entire whine on here, but I'm guessing that you ladies probably grow weary of hearing me whine all of the time, so if you wish to read the full, hair-on-fire, version, it is posted here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/?etsrc=sdt

Scroll down a bit to where it says "Dear Clients and Friends".

The gist is this: in order to get paid for my jewelry sales going forward, I am being required to "register" with a third-party vendor (previous to this, Etsy has done the payment processing).

As part of this "registration" I am being required to provide to this new vendor my personal bank account number associated with my Etsy account, my personal (i.e., secret) log-in to this account, and my personal (i.e., secret) password to this account.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is when an "entity" has your personal log-in and personal password to your personal bank account, the bank sees whoever-is-logging-in as you.

Worst case scenario is that this entity (since, again, the bank recognizes them as you, because the entity has your log-in and password credentials) has the ability to instantly transfer all of the funds within your bank account. . . um, elsewhere.

Leaving me with no recourse to regain my vanished funds whatsoever, because I have not followed my bank's specific banking rules NOT to reveal my log-in and password information to anyone.

(Another of the "kickers" here is that once you grant access to one account, you have also automatically granted access to ALL of the accounts you may have at that particular banking institution - so all of your money, in all of your accounts, can instantly go "poof"). . .

And a final, MAJOR kicker. . . this new vendor has recently settled a fifty-eight-million dollar lawsuit settlement for misusing and/or selling client information. Don't take my word for this - do a Google search on a "financial services" company called Plaid, you will easily find what I am talking about.

Last time I looked, no one, and certainly no large company (particularly one with 58 mil in spare change in their hip pocket), will EVER settle a multi-million dollar lawsuit that they have even the faintest hope of winning.

Looks like I may be done with jewelry-making. At least for a while. :cry:

Thanks for listening.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Sad news about my Etsy jewelry. . . :-(

Postby Shirlv » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:30 pm

Anne, in your place I would spend my time making jewelry. Come spring I would pack up my van and hit all the nice craft fairs with jewelry. Be among mostly nice people and other talented venders. Who needs stinky Etsy.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:41 pm

Well I wouldnt give all that info either. You could open an account with an online bank, many dont require a minimum balance to open and it is free. Only use that for your Etsy profits. Just a thought.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:01 pm

Oh, I hate that. How can anyone give passwords etc to their private banking info. That said, you have two options mentioned in replies that are viable. I hate to think of you discontinuing making jewelry.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:53 pm

Well, that sucks! :shock: It almost sounds like a scam itself! Sounds very fishy! I wonder how many other people will refuse to do that too? People are very careful about scams and giving out personal information these days.

You could start your own webpage to sell your things. Is there a local farmers market, etc? Many farmers markets also have craft vendors there. Maybe you could get in on that every week/month to sell your stuff.

I hope you can find a good solution so you don't have to stop doing what you love.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:31 am

it is totally unreal that they can legally even ask for that information... it does sound like a scam... but if it isn't then I see Etsy going away who in their right mind would accept those conditions?
there are some good ideas there I could add Q as an opportunity but you would need a lot of ware for there... there are lots of craft fairs as well as doing the vendor gig
sheila
snowball

Postby Pooker » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:54 am

Anne - so sorry this way of selling has turned out badly for you. As all the other gals have said: There are many different ways to sell your crafts. You probably already belong to craft forums with folks who have various ideas and have "been there, done that!" There are a number of crafters who follow the craft circuit - fairs, rallies, etc. I've browsed local town fairs, GMCA ralllies, Good Sam rallies, Quilt shows, and of course, Q. Talk to other vendors and ask how they manage payments if they sell on-line. I think many do. Reach out. Good luck!

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:03 pm

Annie, That is a shame. Those horrible scammers are ruining enjoyment for us. I am so fearful of ALL emails that I am sure I might have missed important ones. I believe if they are important enough they will get back to me.
I just got one this morning thanking me for pitching a new computer. $1244.99 will be deducted from your account. No you? Call and a phone # follows. Of course I am not calling anyone.
I love all the new technologies: computers, iPads, iPhones etc. But, it has opened an entire new class of criminal.
Hopefully Etsy will lose so many customers they will get rid of that vendor. Good for you! Don’t give in!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby snowball » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:11 am

dd## works for a bank in the loan dept... read her part of her post... she said that even her bank doesn't ask for her password... and that she questions the legality of it... and hopes that Etsy lost enough crafter's that they have to rethink the whole process.
went to show her your work and sadly it's gone... best of luck in finding a way to continue with your business
sheila
snowball

Postby monik7 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:49 am

So sorry to learn this Anne. I hope you can find a way to continue selling your beautiful creations.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Re:

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 am

snowball wrote:it is totally unreal that they can legally even ask for that information... it does sound like a scam... but if it isn't then I see Etsy going away who in their right mind would accept those conditions?
sheila

Thank you for your thoughts, Sheila. There is actually quite an uproar over this, I think it likely that many vendors are leaving the Etsy platform. Some are even thinking that this might be Etsy's "Twitter moment".

But who knows. Etsy has been very good for me, I have had a lot of sales. And, of course, sales really do quite a lot to build one's confidence in what they are doing. Although I wouldn't make hand-made jewelry if I didn't love it, to have people actually put their money down is definitely a validation that I must be doing something right!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 am

SoCalGalcas wrote:Annie, That is a shame. Those horrible scammers are ruining enjoyment for us. I am so fearful of ALL emails that I am sure I might have missed important ones. I believe if they are important enough they will get back to me.
I just got one this morning thanking me for pitching a new computer. $1244.99 will be deducted from your account. No you? Call and a phone # follows. Of course I am not calling anyone.
I love all the new technologies: computers, iPads, iPhones etc. But, it has opened an entire new class of criminal.
Hopefully Etsy will lose so many customers they will get rid of that vendor. Good for you! Don’t give in!
Lyn

Thank you so much, Lyn. I, too, am becoming more and more wary of any emails that come my way - and it's text's and even phone calls now (although I no longer answer my phone if I don't recognize the number - you are 100%, if they are important they will follow up - or they will leave a message.

OMG, I am so very glad to hear that you were not taken in by that "thank you for buying the new computer" scam!! A dear friend of mine - an older gentleman - was taken in by one similar to that, and he is quite knowledgeable.

As for Etsy - I, of course, hope they will change back to they way bank information was verified in the past - with one's bank account and routing number. I don't see that happening, unless or until Etsy takes a major hit to their bottom line because of this change.

But one can hope!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 am

monik7 wrote:So sorry to learn this Anne. I hope you can find a way to continue selling your beautiful creations.
Sandi

Thank you so very much, Sandi. I find everyone's comments very comforting. You have put a smile on my face.

And how about you, Sandi? Are you continuing with your stunning paintings? I apologize, I am tired tonight. I know your beautiful artwork has a special name, but I have forgotten it.

I would love to see some more postings of your artwork (the paintings or the leatherwork - or maybe you even have something new?) - and I am sure that everyone else here would love to see them also.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:09 am

Hello everyone. Thank all of you for your kind and wonderful encouragement. It is more appreciated that I can express.

I have been so. . . "bothered" by this situation, I am (reluctantly!) in process of dragging out some old skills that I had "put away on the shelf", hoping to never need to use them again. Which is one of the reasons I originally signed up with Etsy, because Etsy was (LOL, "was") the "easy way out".

Kind of like when a person gets to a "certain age" and decides to throw away their house-painting tools and call in the painters instead. :roll: :lol:

I don't know if this will pan out or not, still looking into it, but if it does I will let everyone know.

Thanks to all of you again!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Colliemom » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear this Anne. I hope they get it straightened out. I can just about there is an uproar going on. Be nice if you could find another outlet. But don’t stop making any because if it straightens out you’ll have a nice supply behind you.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Return to General Talk