Interesting information on scams.

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Interesting information on scams.

Postby Colliemom » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:38 pm

This came to me from TrendMicro, which is my security system for my devices. I have used them for a number of years and I have never had an issue with anything. It’s installed on both my IPads and my Iphone. About once a month they send me a newsletter for informational purposes. Keeps me up-to-date on the latest cyber issues out there. Thought I would throw this out there for you.

https://news.trendmicro.com/2022/12/24/ ... ansomware/Interesting information on scams.

Here is a link to their website if you have never heard of this company. Itwas recommended to me by one of my computer gurus. They have been among the top cyber security systems in the country. They are constantly scanning for cyber attacks, malware, viruses etc. they even scan my router to make sure it’s secure. They can be contacted anytime and if you do you happen to get something into your computer or phone or whatever, you can contact them and they will work with you remotely to take care of the issue.

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome.html
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Interesting information on scams.

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:16 am

Tread Micro now rates poorly in a number of tested areas by leading computer magazines such as PC. It particularly fails with malware protection, completelt failing testing. Neither iPad nor iPhone need malware or anti virus as apple does not allow scanning on iOS ! Yes I just looked that up!
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Interesting information on scams it

Postby Colliemom » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:26 am

It depends upon how you look at it. From what I have read, Apple does does not allow any security system to scan on their devices. I have it on my Apple devices and it is scanning. I have had it on my devices now for probably 15 years and I have never had an issue. So as long as it keeps up I’m not changing. But there are always new and better things coming out and they’re always replaced by something else. Plus the majority of the security software is for Wi dos Microsoft applications. Apple also is known for having a strong security system built into it’s software, that so far has been very difficult to hack into, and it has been said you don’t need any additional Security software. I don’t trust that. We all get what we think is best for us. I read a lot of those reviews by different magazines and different things too, not just for this kind of thing but for a lot of other stuff and I have found that you can come up with a different opinion in everyone. Just like you said about Consumers Report. What they say it’s supposed to be the best does not always turn out to be so. In today’s cyber world, it’s getting harder and harder to keep ahead of all of the stuff that is out there as far as hackers and scams and blah blah blah. It’s up to us to not fall prey to them. They are finding ways to get around the best security systems out there.

What are you using Velda? Are you on Windows or Apple?
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:14 pm

MandysMom wrote:Tread Micro now rates poorly in a number of tested areas by leading computer magazines such as PC. It particularly fails with malware protection, completelt failing testing. Neither iPad nor iPhone need malware or anti virus as apple does not allow scanning on iOS ! Yes I just looked that up!
Velda

I've always thought the same that you don't need virus protection on Apple products and I've had them probably 15 years, until recently when my computer locked up with the attached message. It really looks as though it is from Apple but I wasn't about to call the number and find out. So I called the computer business I've used for installing new equipment and they said it was really unusual but it does happen. They suggested a malwareplus or pro can't really remember for Apple but I said not now as I'm planning to get a new computer. So as I hadn't called the number they said I could turn off the computer and wait 2 minutes and then turn it back on. Thankfully it worked. I'm thinking it might have happened because my computer is too old to update.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Colliemom » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:22 pm

Computers and mobile devices are two different things. I am using Trend Micro Mobile Security. As far as mobile devices are concerned it is carrying a 4.7 out of five star rating. But like I said everybody has their own opinions and what they want to use. If something works for you you keep it if it doesn’t change it. I have always heard that you don’t need security with Apple devices either, butt there’s a first time for everything and I read not long ago where hackers are starting to monkey with it a little bit, trying to see what makes it tick. It was Trend Micro that suggested to put Security software on mobile phones. When you look at Facebook or other places where you have friends who use their phones for messaging or communicating, etc. how many times have you seen posts saying “I’ve been hacked, do not answer a friend request” or something. That’s why. The phones are wide-open on the air waves with no protection. I had never given that a thought either until they mentioned it and then I got to thinking about it, and yeah that’s true. So my phone is now covered under the same security that my iPads are.

I used to use Norton, but I quit it because I got malware in my computer, which it’s supposed to stop, and had to take it in to have it removed. After that I said the heck with that.

I agree with you about the older computers. Updating them is not the only issue, the Internet speeds and other things have increased and changed over the years and the older computers cannot keep up with them either. That’s why I ditched my 8.1 computer and I am also closing out my Microsoft account, Now that my iOS devices are connected to my new printer. Anybody who is still using a computer that is no longer supported by Microsoft, is leaving themselves wide open for security issues.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Colliemom » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:29 am

Another thing to watch for, is that not all security software will protects mobile devices. Most of the ratings that come out in the different magazines are for software for computers running Microsoft Windows. I have noticed that some are not compatible with Apple devices and some are. Junior research before you decide and if you do you have Apple devices, read up a little bit on one Apple security system actually is because it does not do everything. So you need to have some additional security software.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:36 pm

Sue, we will just have to agree to disagree on the Apple issue!
Velda
MandysMom

Return to General Talk