Ew Michigan bill to crack down on online sellers

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Ew Michigan bill to crack down on online sellers

Postby Colliemom » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:34 pm

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... arent.html

I am glad to see this happening because this third-party stuff has personally affected me. I placed an order through Amazon on their website last summer and twice within two weeks I had fraud alerts on my charge card, which required me to have to close out the account twice and get a new card issued each time. In both cases, although I did receive my original order, both Fraud attempts were linked to companies that were associated with Amazon. I no longer trust Amazon. I did however place an order for a book about two weeks ago and if that goes through OK, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. But Am now avoiding ordering from them at all costs unless I absolutely can’t find what I want elsewhere.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Ew Michigan bill to crack down on online sellers

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:29 pm

It's easy to tell the 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I couldn't survive without Amazon. Lol I only use 3rd party sellers when it's a company name I can easily check out. Often they give a better price and no shipping on Amazon but not their own website. Walmart does it now, too.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:30 pm

I use Amazon a lot so this is scary. I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying the problem occurs when goods are bought and shipped from a company other than Amazon.

Beth explain “easy to tell 3rd party sellers” please
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:52 pm

This begins my 13th year on Amazon and I have never heard of such cc fraud as all cc info is kept at Amazon who act as bank so from what I have understood third parties funds go through Amazon , they never see the card. I'll do some research but I'll continue to use Amazon who I trust with my CC. On the other hand, I've had my account at my credit union breached and credit card breached- one of which was Costco , one a local store and one unknown. None connected in any way to Amazon.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:49 pm

Shirlv wrote:I use Amazon a lot so this is scary. I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying the problem occurs when goods are bought and shipped from a company other than Amazon.

Beth explain “easy to tell 3rd party sellers” please

Several things. First, as a prime member anything I purchase that Amazon is selling has free shipping. So it's an immediate 3rd party seller if shipping is happening. It also tells you when looking at the product who is shipping it and who is selling it on the sales page. Amazon ships products for many sellers from their warehouses. These will still have the free shipping and usually still the Amazon guarantee. If it's shipped from anywhere but Amazon and sold by that name also, you're looking at a3rd party seller that might not have the same guarantees. That said, I've used some of those before, too, but try to stick at least with products shipped by Amazon mostly.

Amazon has helped many mom and pop businesses to survive. I'm most careful with the ones with foreign names and longer shipping times (usually from outside the country if you see that).

Velda, I agree. I also trust Amazon with my credit card info. They actually have better encryption, etc, than many other places.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:55 pm

Thanks Beth, oddly I was doing the right think without knowing it. If Amazon wasn’t at least shipping an item I was afraid the unknown company would get my credit card so wouldn’t buy from them. I haven’t had a problem. Thanks Sue, I need reminders to be careful. Also thanks Anne for scam alerts. I do read a lot but forget a lot too. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:48 pm

MandysMom wrote:This begins my 13th year on Amazon and I have never heard of such cc fraud as all cc info is kept at Amazon who act as bank so from what I have understood third parties funds go through Amazon , they never see the card. I'll do some research but I'll continue to use Amazon who I trust with my CC. On the other hand, I've had my account at my credit union breached and credit card breached- one of which was Costco , one a local store and one unknown. None connected in any way to Amazon.
Velda

I have been shopping on Amazon for at least 20 years, and have never had any kind of problem with my credit card being used on Amazon. Amazon third-party sellers don't see your credit card number (as Velda says) any sales are processed by Amazon.

From time to time I do purchase items from other kinds of sellers; when I do this I always use my PayPal account. PayPal processes the transaction, the seller never sees my credit card number here, either.

PayPal and Amazon both now have two-step authentication, which make credit card number theft nearly impossible.

Sue, I'm wondering if maybe the problems you describe have to do with some kind of spyware that accidentally installed on your computer without your knowledge. Some kinds of spyware can monitor your browsing and record your keystrokes as you go - in this way, they could get your credit card number.

I would look into what kind of of virus/spyware protection you have installed on your computer, and if it automatically updates so that it is always current. Some products that were excellent in the past - such a Kapersky and Norton - are now little more than spyware themselves.

Also thanks Anne for scam alerts. I do read a lot but forget a lot too. Lol

Your are most welcome, Shirl. I am getting daily emailed and text scams. I really hate it, and worry that I might one time get tripped up.

It's a jungle out there. :-(

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:28 pm

I too have been using Amazon for many many years LOL and I seem to use it often. Never had a problem. I feel like my Credit Card is very safe there. Any returns have been refunded quickly even when I never received the merchandise they replaced it. Works for me. The worst place to use your credit card is at gas stations. Skimmers show up frequently on them. I have had to replace my card twice because of fraudulent activity at a gas station. I usually buy my gas at Costco where someone is always standing by the pumps AND we cannot pump our own gas so limits access to the pumps for skimmers. They like those stations where they are not real busy. I usually go inside and pay at those kind of stations.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Return to General Talk