We Made It!! (to Page, AZ at least)

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

We Made It!! (to Page, AZ at least)

Postby wickedxgrl » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:30 am

According to my cell phone it's 17 after 10pm. I'll get this time thing figured out sooner or later! Anywho, we are set up at Page/Lake Powel Campground & RV Park, just off of rt 89. Office is closed but I called earlier and the girl said no need for reservations and it's $18/nite. Sounded good to us. We made pretty good time. We left Santa Fe at about 10mdt.

Our site is in a sort of corral with a nice sandy ground. Windy as all get out so getting tents set up was a bit tricky. It would be great out except for said wind, lol. My weather gadget says it's 68. *Shiver* Haven't checked the weather for tomorrow.

Thank goodness for free wi-fi!! Our cells have been on roam since getting out of the Hopi rez. I saw someone else with their laptop and figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't know if there was wi-fi here or if she had an air card like we do. This of course means mom will be posting at Zee's morning waffee :D

Well, I need to go blow up my bed, har har, and get my blankies laid out. We stopped earlier and got subs from Subway. Shoo, that was expensive! We're goin wal*mart'n tomorrow. I've got a boo boo'd foot and I need some bandaids, lol. And we need groceries of course.

Sparkle, where are ya sistah???

Wicked, with a very tired Echo looking on

~Wicked Grl~
Dreamin of the day...
A gypsy with no wagon...
Co-horts: Echo the Mom n Shade the furry brat
wickedxgrl

Re: We Made It!! (to Page, AZ at least)

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:19 am

So glad to hear you are all set up for the night! Setting up a tent in the wind is a real ART! I hope you stake it down well, so you won't wake up in the night with it down around you! Keep in touch, especially with the free WiFi....I think all campgrounds should have WiFi now. I hope you had a good night last night and that we hear from you in the coffee kitchen this morning!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby wickedxgrl » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:36 am

We got set up and had our dinner. Once our stuff was in our tents, mainly our beds, it helped to keep them in place. Don't know about staking down because of the sand. My floor isn't totally stretched out but I'll fix that later when I can see what I'm doing.

There's an indoor pool and spa and I may just take a dip while we're here. So far the only bad thing about this place, at least for tonight, is that the doors to the bathrooms have these weird button code things. The girl I spoke to before we got here didn't mention them and by the time I figured it out no one was answering the phone... The office closes at 7 but I'd called the first time at about 8:15. What a major pain!

Wicked, who shoulda been asleep hours ago!
~Wicked Grl~
Dreamin of the day...
A gypsy with no wagon...
Co-horts: Echo the Mom n Shade the furry brat
wickedxgrl

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:13 am

GLad to hear you have made it so far in one piece. Get some much deserved rest. Thanks for checking in and letting us Sister/mother hens not worry so much about you. We'll just send our good thoughts and prayers for your continued safe journey....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Fernie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:19 am

I was in Paige two years ago. It is so pretty there---I loved it. We happened to be there for a hot air balloon regalla. We ended up getting a hot air balloon ride over the canyon south of the dam. It was fantastic. I'd love to do a boat ride above the dam. Enjoy but I will bring my rv along. I don't think I could do tent camping any more!! LOL
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Postby Echo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:36 am

Page AZ and camped at last!!!

Sure do wish we had had an RV on this trip but sooner or later we will have one. Coming thru the Navajo Reservation and north up RT89 we saw all kinds of pull off spots and we did see some C's parked in a few of them too. If we had had an RV we would have been pulled over in quick time. As it is we are in Page AZ in a campground. Not a bad little place, nice tent sights with water and ele for each site and only $18 a night. I guess we can't complain to much. Although 'free' would be even better!!! :lol:

Got here just a smidgen before dark, should have really had my headlights on but didn't cause for whatever reason my cruise control wont work with my headlights on now that it's wired for the trailer. Gonna have to get that checked out before we leave the lodge in Oct. But by time we grabbed a couple subs from Subway and found this place it was dark and dark! Just love setting up tents in the dark. ~sigh~ All we did too is set up the tents and eat, then we went to bed. Oh my that felt good to lay down, I had forgotten how comfortable that raised air bed was. No hesitation on going to sleep for me! The very worse thing setting up the tents was the wind. Thought Kelly's tent was gonna blow away. Today now that it's daylight and we can see what the heck were doing and of course after a good nights sleep we will set up our little campsite and for sure stake down the dang tents. :lol: We did have a canopy like an E-Z up but I gave it to David, now I could kick myself in the butt, but I didn't want the extra weight as the thing was heavy. I've looked at the canopies in WalMart, they've got a really nice one I would like to get but need to double check the finances first. Or else figure out a way to string up a tarp over the picnic table, thankfully if that's what we do there is a tree right next to the table and each tent site has a fence around it that I can tie off to. Need to either pick up some charcoal briquettes or a small portable grill so that we can fix our own meals, it sure did get expensive eating on the way out here. I've got a 12v cooler that we can store our meat and stuff in so it's super that the tent sights have ele. I didn't want to have to pay for an RV site for water and ele and I hate having to buy ice all the time for a regular cooler.

Ok sun is coming on and making it really hard to see the screen on the laptop. Kelly needs to go take a shower and pay for our campsite. Boy was she ticked last night!!! The bathrooms here are locked and you have to have the code to get in them. But she and I both are very happy that there is free wi-fi! :D Will yak at ya'll later!!
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am

I think Montezuma's Castle is close to Page, we enjoyed going there and seeing the Indian ruins. Nice area around you, glad you are having a fun adventure. Shame on them for not giving you the combo on the bathroom...Yikes!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Redetotry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:06 pm

So good to have updates on your journey. Glad to hear you are making progress and hope that you are able to take some time to enjoy a bit of the surrounding areas you are passing though.

Have a safe journey.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Echo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Well we are paid up until the morning of May 5th. Kelly went and paid after she got out of the shower, she was very happy at the price and then figured out that they did not charge us for last night. ;) Which I think is kool cause we didn't get in here till late. She also now has the doorlock code for the bathrooms. (snicker) But now that our campsite is paid for we will set up 'camp' and go looking around a little bit. Want to go see Powell Lake and just look around and sitesee in general. On the little road to the campground there is a marina they have houseboats. OMG!!!!!! A few of them suckers are as big as a small house. I know that at the lake itself they rent houseboats for floating vacations. Wouldn't that be an awesome vacation? After we win the lottery maybe we will do that? :? 8-)

ps. an RV site here is under $30 but Kelly can't remember exactly
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Echo wrote:Page AZ and camped at last!!!

should have really had my headlights on but didn't cause for whatever reason my cruise control wont work with my headlights on now that it's wired for the trailer.

According to all that I've read,...the advice is usually to NOT use cruise while towing. Not sure what others do, but i follow that advice and i don't use cruise.

Glad that you are settled in for a while,... good for you!
Cedar518

Postby Carolinagal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm

So glad to see you all had checked in and you're sure in a beautiful place out there and sounds like you will have time to really explore, ENJOY!!!!

Cedar, I have been told also, that when you tow, don't use cruise. I dislike cruise anyway. Especially traveling alone, I always felt, spooky, like someone else was driving, I need to be in charge of my own vehicle, not some mechanical gadget. Ok, I know I'm weird, :lol:

Keep us posted Echo and Kelly.

Safe travels,

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:25 pm

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your discoveries. That is an area that I want to explore in the future. I have seen too many beautiful pictures on individuals blogs...I want to see the space with my own eyes and as others have said the presence of a place can not be captured in a pic bbut in the memory ....just sitting and soaking it all in....... Good luck with your setting up camp. I think I may have to get one of those air mattresses for the Short Bus for the kayaking trip. Husband is suppose to come and I will probably sleep on the floor in the aisle...there are times I miss my cab over spare bedroom but then again I don't plan on company traveling with me often and this baby is parks and turns so much easier. Enjoy being a sightseer for a few days.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby carold » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Glad to hear all is going well, even if it is a bit windy. We've stayed in Page twice and loved it both times. If you can, don't miss Antelope Canyon (you can see pics on our blog). It is beautiful. You would need to set up a tour with an Indian guide group since it's in their territory and one is not allowed without a guide. Don't know if the cost would be prohibitive. The dam walk is good too. Lot's of hiking and driving sites. Glad to hear the bathroom is available. I would be looking for the nearest woody area. I've done that many times. :lol: carold
carold

Postby MsBHaven » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:35 pm

OMG I was so surprised to read that both of you really are out west now! (Hadn't been on the forum lately) Wow! You two are so brave! Leaving TN and heading off on your adventure, good for both of you. I wish you both lots of luck as you progress towards your new job. Hope you have tons of fun. I know you were both so anxious to get on the road. Really, really wish you the best. TN will miss ya' !
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Yipeee!! Go West Young Ladies....and you did!!! :o Glad to hear you are settled for awhile.....and that everything is staked down.............enjoy yourselves and relax.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Next

Return to General Talk