Apartment gardening

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Apartment gardening

Postby Shirlv » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 am

Lynn, glad to see a fellow gardeners pictures. Your planters are taller than mine. I think my plants are confused, I keep moving them in and out of the sunshine because of severe storm threats. They don’t know whether to grow or crouch down. :D
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Liz » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Strawberries! Good choice, Lyn! They should do well there.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Shirlv » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 am

I’ve had a Bromeliad plant for about 4 months and it had a flower the whole time. It finally died and will not bloom again but did produce a shoot which they call pups. You can remove the pup and plant in a pot to produce another plant. This is my first experience so will see if I have success. In the tropics they grow on trees so need bark much and potting soil mix.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby monik7 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:11 pm

Shirl, I’ve had a bromeliad plant on my kitchen counter for 6 or 8 months. It had a beautiful bloom when I got it. That bloom is gone and I’ve been putting off transplanting the 6 pups, but your post has made me think I need to get going on that project. Hopefully we both have good luck.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby avalen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Well ya'll have inspired me to get some seeds planted, and as life goes, I can't find my ziplock bag of my seed collection. It's in that safe place where we put everything. Lol
I did recently acquire a banana tree and nursing that through it's transplant shock. The banana man says it will come out of it. It looks terrible now but do see a little new growth down the middle. I ordered up some grow bags on Amazon and plan on a few more banana trees and some hibiscus and hopefully some cana lilies all for the front patio. Got a beautiful yellow hibiscus from son on my birthday and it's grown twice it's size and been blooming all summer.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:49 am

Yea Ava. Joining the garden club! I bet your hibiscus, the yellow one is beautiful!!! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Shirlv » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:54 am

Ava, I watched a video about grow bags. They seem ideal for those with limited space or unable to have an in ground garden. I now live in an second floor apartment so have houseplants and a few pots on the balcony. Keep us updated on your garden and we love pictures.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby avalen » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:58 am

This will be my first time with grow bags but I was impressed with reviews and results. I also liked the idea of them being portable since I may not stay in this park. At least I hope not, it's pretty crummy compared to the one on the reservation where I was for years. I will keep you posted.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Shirlv » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:45 am

Sandi, Hoping you are more experienced with Bromelaid plants. I broke the shoot (pup) off of the main plant and put it in a pot of mixed potting soil and pine bard mulch and watered as instructed per a video. Watched another video by a grower in Florida who broke off pup dropped in an empty pot and said it would grow roots. Any advice?
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby monik7 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 am

Shirlv wrote:Sandi, Hoping you are more experienced with Bromelaid plants. I broke the shoot (pup) off of the main plant and put it in a pot of mixed potting soil and pine bard mulch and watered as instructed per a video. Watched another video by a grower in Florida who broke off pup dropped in an empty pot and said it would grow roots. Any advice?

Sorry Shirl, this will be my first try at replanting pups. I too watched a couple videos so I hope I can succeed with a few of them (or even one ;) ). I’ve been waiting to attempt replanting them because the plant still looks nice on my counter even though the beautiful bloom it came with is long gone. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby Shirlv » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:18 am

Sandi, I read/watched :roll: something that said although the mother plant will not bloom again it will continue to produce pups. I’m leaving mine in soil mulch mixture . I am so upset my tomato plan looks like it is dying. Don’t know why. It’s about 5 ft tall but spindly, leaves are wilting and dropping.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:07 am

The strawberries died in one bucket. Bought one tomato plant to replace them. Surprised there are 100 different tomato verities. I finally chose “better boy”. Will send picture to Beth.
Ava, I too, live on the second floor. Very large patio. South Right now, three buckets are enough for me.
I don’t know why my messages post before have finished typing?!?!? Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby monik7 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:17 pm

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m sure I kill more plants with too much water than anything else. :cry:
Sandi

monik7

Postby Shirlv » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:47 am

I have many house plants. Edith gave me a pretty bowl for one of my plants and now I would like more to sit the other plants in. Think a trip to Goodwill might produce some bargains. I found a DIY easy water system to prevent overwatered or under watering. My plants are all in containers with drain holes but will need containers without drainage and bowls would be just right. Amazon stocks plant wicking cord so will order. When beach traffic slows should be able to find bargain bowls at heard sales also. Should keep me out of sleazy bars for awhile. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 am

Hope this site posts. In case anyone is interested in wicking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+pla ... PzMqdmAo13
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk