Apartment gardening

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Apartment gardening

Postby Cudedog » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:11 pm

Shirl, count me among those who enjoy reading your posts - about whatever it is you have to say.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:38 pm

I enjoy your posts and look forward to them regardless what you are talking about :lol:
sheila
snowball

Postby Shirlv » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 am

My today list had call for strawberry plants. Looked in the pot a couple days ago and nothing. Went out this morning and the pot is full of little green plans. Didn’t have many strawberries last year but it was the first year. Guess they were waiting for Mother Nature to make up her mind.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:17 pm

Shirl, that's exciting!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:42 am

Since the strawberries plants survived the winter in the pot.I need to find a bird proof cover. I didn’t get many berries last year and not sure if it was because of it being the first year or the bird eating them. Who would think a bird would find berries in a pot on a second floor balcony. Had a brain storm, think a $1.25 Dollar Tree mesh laundry bad will fit over the strawberry pot.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby monik7 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:19 pm

Hey Shirl, I saw this online this morning from Costco. It’s a little “spendy,” but kind of neat for apartments. It has wheels and I wonder if it would work on your balcony. Takes care of watering. Measures 21”W x 45”L x 32”H (with casters)

Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Shirlv » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:29 pm

Sandi, I would love to have it but not meant to be. I belong to Sam’s, have idea where the closet Costco is. As always no space, of the 3 walls on the balcony, one, has door to mechanism room, one is the slider, one has door to living room, 4th is the railing. Nice thought. Thanks
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:24 pm

#2 granddaughter is into BoHo style, lol what ever that is. I forwarded my post “too cute”to her . That post is a little too much for me but fun to watch. Great ideas for those who travel and don’t want to worry about plants or those who just don’t want to be bothered but want some decoration. I have a skinny little plant stand I’m going to spray paint turquoise for a splash of color on the balcony. I really liked the shovel. By the way, the Dollar Tree mesh laundry bag is a perfect fit for the strawberry pot, will protect from the birds. Would love to hear about tour garden.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:27 pm

Shirl, Well so far I dont have any garden news. Usually by now we are starting to warm up and warm the soil. I usually dont plant anything until after Mothers Day, is usually safe by then. BUT stand by I will have news in a few weeks LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Shirlv » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 am

Only one strawberry plant survived the winter so planted a couple more yesterday. Planter a pot of Gerbera Davies to sit on the bistro table. Also set it up with a wick. Planted a basil plant with a wick also. Chives and Italian parsley went in a bigger pot so no wick. Need more potting mix for the large pot to hold geraniums. Racing a threatening storm tomorrow. I have a sore back but a smile on my face.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:55 pm

I went to Lowe’s and saved $8 on potting soil. Read that Tami G grape tomato is suitable for pots so bought one of those. Got home read more and it said can grow to 9 ft tall. Decided that when it grows too tall will top it and will do without tomatoes. Wicking house plants that I have under watered them. I know I did with balcony plants last year. I try very hard not to send dirty water down on the tenets below. Brainstorm, Dollar Tree has cat litter pans for $1.25 that might be big enough to catch excess water if placed under pots.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Cudedog » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:33 pm

Shirlv wrote:I went to Lowe’s and saved $8 on potting soil. Read that Tami G grape tomato is suitable for pots so bought one of those. Got home read more and it said can grow to 9 ft tall. Decided that when it grows too tall will top it and will do without tomatoes.

Shirl, you probably know this already, but pruning tomatoes as they grow (not waiting until they get too tall and just topping them off) is a pretty common thing these days. People do it so that the plants tend to make more fruit, rather than more leaves.

Go on YouTube and search "pruning tomatoes", and quite a lot of videos will come up, showing the basic technique and reasons behind it.

I have tended not to prune my own tomatoes too much, only because it is just too hot outside during the day to deal with it. But I think the little pruning I have done has added to my tomato yield.

Will be trying pruning again this year, maybe early mornings, although I am not an early bird.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Shirlv » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:49 pm

Thanks Anne, I have watch pruning on YouTube but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I will do this year so I do not have a monster plant. I plan to share tomatoes with the tenants below to apologize if I am dropping soil on their patio.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:58 am

Yea! Dollar Tree cat litter pans will work, they are 3” deep
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Bethers » Mon May 01, 2023 5:04 pm

A stroll through Shirl's garden.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk