Apartment gardening

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Apartment gardening

Postby Shirlv » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:29 am

Sometimes the smallest things make a difference. Easily finished putting wicks in house plants this morning. I used a flat head screw driver to insert wick instead of Phillips head and the plants were well watered. Hope this system works because the Maidenhair Fern has not been happy no matter what I do. Now she can get her own drink of water. :D
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:08 pm

My houseplants are thriving using the wicks. Lots of new leaf. Since I have several plants and each needing different amounts of water I was not doing a good job. It’s easy for me to keep reservoirs filled with water and plants are taking what the need. I had a Bromelaid plant that did its one bloom but kept the old plant watered. It grew a pup which I removed, planted and it is growing. Yea. Have three more pups on the old plants so I thought o boy I will share with family. Just read it takes 2-3 years for a pup to bloom. Geeezzzz
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby MandysMom » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:02 pm

Good job Shirl! I don't keep house plants of any kind because of my cats. No point even trying with cat safe plants as one cat is obsessed with chewing on them!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:06 pm

That's exciting, Shirl.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Did the fall planting today. Added some yellow tulip bulbs to top of last years red tulips. I neglected last years pot of red tulips so not sure if they will bloom again. Planted 6 lettuce plants and a pot of sugar snap peas. Peas are cool weather plants so hope I have more luck with this batch since the summer ones fried. First year strawberries will die off over winter and hopefully be more productive next year. I will rig some kind of netting to protect from birds. Edith is trying find a DIY video on how to make faux boulders for her garden. Makes me laugh every time I think of it.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Irmi » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:32 pm

Shirl, I'm looking forward to your updates!
Irmi

Postby Shirlv » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:23 pm

The rain stopped and the sun came out so I think gardening. Always a challenge for my tiny balcony. Came up with a solution for the intense summer heat on the south facing balcony. I have a frost plant cover which I found will deter heat too. Need to find a way to use it that will not offend managent. When they approved my rental application they didn’t know a redneck woman was moving in. Lol Also have a small fan to try blowing hot air out of the cave like balcony. Would love to plant another Juliet tomato plant but it took over the tiny space (grows 6-8 ft.). It did provide shade, like eating lunch in the jungle. Have found “Sweet Olive” grape tomato plant that I’d a determine type that grows small. Need to figure a way to drip water large pots.

Got it, command hooks on two walls with a light weight cord stretched between. The light weight plant cover draped over the line to protect plants from afternoon sun. If installed low enough and away from the railing it won’t look tacky from the street, I hope. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:49 pm

I would tell them it is there to collect all the bird seed etc So when they fix that you will take your sun screen down LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Cudedog » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:45 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:I would tell them it is there to collect all the bird seed etc So when they fix that you will take your sun screen down LOL

Karen, I'll second that 100%!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Shirlv » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:44 pm

You gave me an idea. I will tell them the cloth is to protect my food plants from bird droppings and bird flu.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:10 pm

Shirl YOU GO GIRL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 am

I agree, sun screen for your health and safety!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Shirlv » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:02 pm

Watching YouTube channel s again, looking for ways to irrigate my pots on the balcony. The Asian people have clever solutions using everyday items. My balcony is so small and has a plank floor not concrete. I do not have their tools or workspace. Trying to take their ideas and find a solution for me without tools or much effort. keep it simple . Lol Amazon sells IV tubing. If I insert the tubing into a gallon water jug, punch several holes near the end of tubing and lay in a circle around a tomato plant I will have a drip system that I can regulate. Don’t want to drip water on downstairs neighbor. Tubing is gravity fed so need to hang the jug of water. I need an IV pole lol Think I can attach it to the Shepard hook (thanks Sandi).
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:54 pm

Martha, all my plants have wicks that lay in a reservoir of water even ones that do not need a lot of water. The plants take as much water as they need. Guess they know better than me. I need to posy garden stuff here so I don’t bore everyone. Since I have no life it’s all I have to talk about. Lol
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:47 pm

Shirl I like gardening so I am interested. I actually think there are several of us that like to read yours and others posts on gardening, cooking, cleaning LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk