Apartment gardening

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Apartment gardening

Postby Shirlv » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:46 pm

Irmi, you ask about the soil tester. It tests the moisture in the soil. My south facing balcony got so hot in summer I struggled to keep the thirsty tomato plant suitability watered. Am hoping this mentor takes away the guess work. Karen said it was useful.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Re: Apartment gardening

Postby Shirlv » Sun May 01, 2022 10:09 am

Checked traffic cam and traffic heavy in both directions to local town I placed a curbside pick up order for tomorrow. I needed a heavy duty plant caddy for tomato plant and another bag of potting mix. My legs no longer want to wander aisles looking for items or searching for employees to help. Standing in long check out lines is a deterrent too. You really need a little tech savvy to maneuver in todays world. Walmart will load soil and I only need to tumble it from the suv into my grocery cart at home. Think I’m the only crazy woman hauling bags of soil and plants at this building.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Cudedog » Sun May 01, 2022 10:40 am

Shirlv wrote:Checked traffic cam and traffic heavy in both directions to local town I placed a curbside pick up order for tomorrow. I needed a heavy duty plant caddy for tomato plant and another bag of potting mix. My legs no longer want to wander aisles looking for items or searching for employees to help. Standing in long check out lines is a deterrent too. You really need a little tech savvy to maneuver in todays world. Walmart will load soil and I only need to tumble it from the suv into my grocery cart at home. Think I’m the only crazy woman hauling bags of soil and plants at this building.

I'm with you, Shirl. These days I opt for grocery delivery more often than not. Wandering those aisles and the time it takes. . .! The only time I go to the grocery store these days is to pick up items Walmart doesn't have. Which isn't much.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Shirlv » Tue May 03, 2022 9:56 am

Juliet plant spends days on the balcony and nights inside. I’m tired of checking weather so am going to plant it in the pot and cover with a sheet at night. The strawberry plants were outside at the nursery so think they will be fine. No more plants since I have run out of room. Lyn, hope you had luck locating a strawberry container. My large container/$10 for a tomato plant came from Dollar General last year. It’s plastic and looks like terracotta. You wouldn’t need a container as deep for strawberries. Sue, please post pictures of your planters.Do people in Michigan wrap containers in bubble wrap for winter protection?
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Shirlv » Wed May 04, 2022 3:39 pm

Can’t buy a little bit of any mulch for a couple of plant containers. I’m sitting in the recliner cutting paper into strips. The paper is old bills, receipts etc from my shred basket. My shredder minces paper which would make a mess. Sue you can just collect pine needles for mulch Lol

Thinking out loud. My balcony only has one open wall and it faces south. Summer heat is trapped so thought I will place a small fan on the table facing to the open side. Greenhouses have fans. Bought a bag of three romaine hearts. Couldn’t bring myself to throw the ends away. I chop lettuce, spin it and keep in a container. Easier to eat a salad if I can just grab a handful. Now have 3 more romaine ends in water to regrow. This is getting out of hand.. is this considered hoarding? :shock:
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby snowball » Wed May 04, 2022 11:12 pm

Shirlv wrote: Now have 3 more romaine ends in water to regrow. This is getting out of hand.. is this considered hoarding? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Wed May 04, 2022 11:32 pm

Oh, Sheila, I have to admit I laughed out loud at that line also. Shirl, it's a hoarding that I think it's acceptable. Haha
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Thu May 05, 2022 8:33 am

Regrowing romaine. I will follow the instructions on this video. My first try has not grown as fast and think it’s lack of bright light.

https://youtu.be/EIasiDxriWQ
Last edited by Shirlv on Thu May 05, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu May 05, 2022 8:36 am

I have begun my patio gardening! I noticed a bright red bucket under the sink. It was filled with kitchen tools. It was labeled Ace Hardware. A HA, the perfect size. I found these buckets in the paint section at Ace Hardware right down the street from me. I also bought a paint drop cloth to protect the trunk of the daughters car when she hauls soil for me. So, it has begun. Now to figure how to get a picture on this site. My patio faces south also. However, with the configuration of the building and the travels of the sun, it doesn’t get too hot in summer. In the winter is when we have to run the air conditioning.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Shirlv » Thu May 05, 2022 8:52 am

Sounds like a plan. Lyn, you are right in style using what you have as a planter. Don’t forget a big plant saucer and to drill holes in the bucket. Will your strawberries grow year round?
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Postby Bethers » Thu May 05, 2022 9:14 am

Lyn, as Shirl will attest, if you email me the picture(s) I eventually post them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Irmi » Thu May 05, 2022 1:40 pm

Shirl, thanks for the explanation on the soil tester. I hope it works for you.

I have about 5 or 6 green onion ends in water and they're already starting to sprout. So I'll go out tomorrow to get a container to put them in. I think I have some celery in the refrigerator in the motorhome and will try to grow some greens, which is my favorite part. I'll let you know how it goes.
Irmi

Postby Bethers » Thu May 05, 2022 2:34 pm

Shirl's picture and her own commentary:

Update: celery on the left was put in water 4 days ago and already sprouting leaves. The plant in the middle jar is a cutting from Juliet plant trying for roots. The bowls are plastic and came in a four pack from Dollar Tree. Romaine coming along. You all know I’m not a dotty ole woman, Right. Lol
Beth
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:41 pm

I’ve been enjoying the discussions on apartment gardening and appreciate all the new information. I live in a townhouse which is basically 2 1/2 floors with a small deck and railing at the front door. Things are beginning to warm up here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’m actually located beyond a range of small mountains in a valley east of San Francisco Bay. It’s a great area for growing just about anything. I don’t cook like a lot of you ladies who have such wonderful recipes, but I do love to have as many plants on my deck as space will allow. I took some pictures of how it all looks getting ready for summer.

This is my climbing Mandevilla. My favorite. I started it late last summer and it’s now covering 1/2 of the deck railing. I think it’ll cover the rest by the end of summer. Soon it will be covered with these gorgeous red flowers.

This bougainvillea was quite small last summer and has really taken off this spring. I hope it continues to get bigger and longer to extend down the front of the deck railing and side wall of the deck.

Lavender and begonias

I have this stand next to the front door with succulents and a small electric fountain for the birds to drink and bathe in. There’s also a bird feeder in a tree on the other side of the deck railing and it’s wonderful to sit out there and listen to them singing and chirping. They’re getting used to me and less fearful. A hummingbird I’ve named “Henry” comes up within inches of me to say “Hello” and to drink and bathe in the fountain.

That’s it. My deck won’t hold much more, but I hope things will continue growing and blooming. I plan on trying some of the plants you all have mentioned if I can find them locally. I saw one of those “P” plants ( :lol: ) at Walmart today, and they were very small :lol: .
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Fri May 06, 2022 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Shirlv » Thu May 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Sandi, just beautiful. The world needs some beauty now. :D
Shirl
Maryland

Shirlv

Next

Return to General Talk