Hidden Japanese Garden

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Hidden Japanese Garden

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:09 am

Sparkle found this little spot on one of her visits and mentioned it to me. Yesterday was my first time to visit it. I did not venture very far into the garden as I had parked illegally and left Nicky in van. I'm also not steady enough on my walking to do much hiking yet. Following is a bit of background I found in an old Huntsville newsletter:

"Tucked away in a hidden place in Monte Sano State Park is a beautiful Japanese Garden. You can reach the garden via a little worn, but unmarked, path. A small sign reads "no horses or bicycles."

The two-acre garden is surrounded by bamboo. Without the bamboo, I think I would have missed finding the path. Following the path leads to one of two little red bridges.
An open space showcases a Japanese teahouse with a clearing around it.

The Annual Japanese Festival (first Sunday in May) was first started in 1994. It is free to the public and includes Japanese dance demonstrations from a variety of performers, sword fighting and karate exhibitions, origami demonstrations, music from the koto, a Japanese tea ceremony and refreshments for the public. ( I've added a link at bottom to someone else photos of the 2007 festival.)

Since the opening of the Toyota plant in Huntsville, the Japanese population has expanded. However, this little garden was started much earlier in Huntsville's history. In 1989, Robert Black, co-owner of Nikko's Japanese Restaurant in Hampton Cove started working on the garden on Sunday afternoons. Eventually, some of the Japanese engineers at Redstone Arsenal heard about it and started coming out to help. It was just a hobby, with no funding and all volunteer work. The two red bridges were made at home and carried to the park.

This is such a great hideaway to stop by any time to be surrounded by nature and meditate.
Some of the flowers along the short distance I went

Along the road going up to the park

Link to photos from 2007 festival at park
http://huntsville.about.com/od/photogallery/ig/2007-Japanese-Garden/2007-Japanese-Garden-Festival.htm
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Hidden Japanese Garden

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:18 am

What a lovely place. Glad you're out and about - baby steps, baby steps.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:49 am

that is fantastic! I would have loved to visited there. beautiful photos,... thanks! Isn't that tea house fascinating?
Cedar518

Postby Liz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:52 am

Hmmm...I have camped at Monte Sano before, but sure didn't know that was there. Neat little surprise in the woods. I'll be sure to look for it next time I'm in that area. Thanks for sharing....you did good!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Redetotry » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Very beautiful, I would like to visit the garden when every thing is in bloom. Thanks for thinking of us! Hope you are feeling better. Allergies are terrible.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Beautiful spring in Alabama....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Very pretty. Oh, to walk on that path. Lucky you! thanks for sharing
AlmostThere

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:06 am

What a perfectly beautiful little spot of another country. Leave it to Sparkle to discover a place like that! So happy you took those beautiful pics to share it with us......thanks!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Return to General Talk