mtngal - How was night 1?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

mtngal - How was night 1?

Postby Birdie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 am

Diana, We need some follow-up reports on night one in your new "named yet?" MH. My photo below is night one in 'birdie's egg'. Spent it in Van Horn, TX on my way to Las Cruces. Terrible campground, but then what did I know about camping and campgrounds or what to do or not do. I keep learning every trip out and you will too. It becomes one of those, hunh....bet I don't do that again...better make a note in the idiot book. (idiot book is instruction book for all things in the egg.)

But speaking of wine, I found a bottle of Happy Camper wine in the Toucan store in LC and bought that and christened my camper on my second overnight. Had to keep the bottle :roll: Probably should buy a couple 3 or 4 cases and then send to sistahs that come into life! So come on and tell all :D
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: mtngal - How was night 1?

Postby mtngal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:47 pm

OH MY GOSH!!! It was fantastic! Turns out I can see the STARS
out the window from my bed!

I have beautiful pics and intended to write all
about it this morning but computer is acting up.
Will drop it off at shop this afternoon and hopefully
it will be back soon.

Birdie, you would have loved the birds...osprey,
herons, turkey, owl, hawk, and many little guys too.

To be continued....
Diana
mtngal

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Diana, I'm so happy your first experience is a gooder!! Pooh, on your computer acting up. I'm not as good with patience as I once was, but will eagerly await pictures!
AlmostThere

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Sooooo happy your first night was a good one. There is something so cozy about being caccooned (sp?) in your own little rig, isn't there? Happy trails to you. Come on to New Mexico.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm so happy for you...can't wait for the pics! Here's to many more great adventures to come!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Sounds great Diana,..... I'm so glad you enjoyed your camping! Just the beginning,... it's just the beginning!
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Wooohoooooooooooo

Can't wait till we meet again - and you'll be in your own little home - right beside the rest of us. And isn't it kewl to have a view of the stars from your bed? That's one of my favorite things at some cg's with my own bed. Course, Peaches keeps trying to steal all the window space.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Yay! My aircard and Photobucket are both co-operating this evening! So for the rest of the story......

I packed up bare necessities and headed out about 3 pm on Sunday. Many visitors in Tuoloumne County for the week-end, the roads were so busy, but I felt pretty confident the campground wouldn't be full this early in the season. New Melones is a huge (2 or 3 million acre feet) Reclamation reservoir. They did good with trails, campgrounds, boat launches, etc.

Glory Hole is near Angels Camp and named after a mine in the Gold Rush. Seems like about 200 campsites. Cost $18! with no hook-ups. I drove a couple of the loops before finding my perfect spot with a drive through and a Redbud tree.

Leveling the Roadtrek was first, never did get it just right in both directions, so didn't turn on the frig. Does it have to be PERFECTLY level?

It was so peaceful, mid 80s, birds and wildflowers, maybe 25% full in campground, so no neighbors within sight. I set up my little camp, knitted for while, took a walk around the area. Blue herons were feeding with wild turkeys. I love it!

More twilight visitors, an owl I didn't get a pic. This doe was the look out for five yearlings headed down to the water.

My Roadtrek is so cozy. The windows provided lovely breeze. I watched the stars from my bed until very late. Karen described the feeling best when she said cocoon! I had to laugh at myself when I was trying to find a place to set down a glass of ice tea and realized, oh, I have a kitchen counter! Honestly I really didn't even begin to take advantage of all the luxury of camping in a RV. But did learn that the microwave doesn't work off the batteries. Many electrical questions for another thread.

There is nothing much nicer than sitting outside with a cup of coffee as the sun comes up. I had laid a fire, but it was so warm, just didn't want to light it.
Packing up was almost as much fun as setting up. My last chore would be to practice the dreaded "dump", but I couldn't find the dump station, and no
hosts in sight. So I went for another walk. The poppies and lupine are just amazing this year. Enjoy....

Diana
mtngal

Postby Orchid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:11 am

Congratulations on your maiden voyage! Your pictures were great. It sounds as if you had a great time learning about your MH.
Orchid

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 am

Sounds like a WONDERFUL first campout in your new RV, Diana! I can just feel the excitement of that first time---it's something you don't ever forget! At least I never will forget it! Being totally on your own, in a beautiful site, with all the comforts of home about you....discovering that you can indeed be self-sufficient----it is a feeling that can't help but give your life a whole new direction!

Your pictures are GREAT.....those poppies are spectacular! We don't have those here, so they look so colorful and unique to me,

As far as being level for your refrigerator running on gas, others may be able to answer this question better than I can, as I am new to this, too. I always try to get it just right, but I think a BIT of off-level is fine----I'll let others deal with this. If you don't have those little pads to stick under your wheels to raise them up where you need to, it's worth it to get a set of those. They are light, and work really well to get that level bubble just right!

A Honda 2000 generator will run my microwave when I run it to charge my batteries, so that may be something you want to save for in the future. If you plan to do a lot of boondocking camping, with no hookups, one of those is very quiet, not too heavy to carry, and will keep your batteries fully charged by running it just once or twice a day for a short while.

Happy camping for you from now on!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:24 am

mtngal wrote:Leveling the Roadtrek was first, never did get it just right in both directions, so didn't turn on the frig. Does it have to be PERFECTLY level?

Your entire post brought my first morning smile! And the pictures were great.

At first, I was a bit paranoid about having my little tt PERFECTLY level so the fridge didn't blow up - I hear they're expensive! But now I understand that if you can walk and sleep comfotably (without feeling that your body is 'tilted'), the fridge will be fine. What method is available in your rig to balance front to back? I agree you should maybe invest in some leveling legos for the left:right balancing act.

Again, I'm glad to hear your first night out was a huge success!!! What'd you do for food?

Regards,
Michelle
Last edited by mitch5252 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitch5252

Postby LegalLady » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 am

Isn't it sooo much fun to be all cozied up in your own little cocoon?? I just love that feeling. You are so right about the cross-breeze from the two side windows in the back! Is your RT a 190? Does it have the macerator? Mine is the 210 and has it, dumping is super easy with it. Even with the regular setup, I'm sure you won't have any problem. So, where are you going next, huh, huh????

Leslie
Leslie
Boston, MA
2007 Roadtrek 210P
LegalLady

Postby Liz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 am

Beautiful pictures, Diana...beautiful rv too!

Michelle is right...you don't have to be "perfectly" level to use the fridge in the RT. I use Lynx levelers, but even with those, it's sometimes not possible to get it perfect. When you do have it perfectly level sometime (measuring inside the refer), I recommend you affix small bubble levels (available at Walmart) on your driver's door (front-to back) and on your center console (side-to-side). That way, next time, you'll be able to see if you're level or where you need leveling blocks without getting up and down to check several times.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:20 am

Oh that sounds like a great camping trip. The site was nice and that tree must have even had a sweet scent with the blossoms on it? I'm so glad for you that you finally have a camper and are having such fun with it!
Cedar518

Postby Sparkle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:50 am

Diana, congratulations. That sounded like a perfect first trip. Beth will tell you I am the worlds laziest leveler. I walk uphill and run downhill in mine. Clutch onto the side of the bed. Catch the fried egg as it slides out of the pan, ala Lucy! I never have problems with my fridge whether on AC or Propane. Don't worry. Be happy! :D
Sparkle

Next

Return to General Talk