Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Postby Sparkle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 pm

This is one of those places that are hard to photograph. The scale is so immense. The drive there is awesome. We were warned not to try and take our rigs down 25 or was mit 15? Beth will remember. So for once, obeying the signs I unhitched and just took the truck. We came back on Route 35 which was doable pulling or driving an RV. We would both like to go back to this area with the rigs.

The first cave was open, the wall had gone, but it showed where they cooked on round bottom pots, and little rooms to store stuff. Yes, they had "stuff" too,

The rest of the caves were 80% original.

You could go in them. They were vast, and I don't have a good photo. I hope Beth can do better.
This was taken from the back of the cave. The ceilings were blackened by the soot from the fires.

This was their view. The overhanging lip of the cave entrance protected them in summer from the sun and kept the heat of the fires in when it was winter.

Beth was climbing ladders to look into the rooms.

I just couldn't face coming out of the cave via this ladder. I did try but chickened out. Here's Beth.

A nice couple asked us to take their picture and then did the same for us.
Sparkle

Re: Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I want to go, I want to go........
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Great pictures. I find those ancient ruins fascinating. Now was this before or after you hurt your back? Or maybe it's HOW you hurt your back?
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Oh if those walls could talk. I'm surprised they let you go in them,...but I'd want to if I could. Not sure I could do that ladder either! Great photos!
Cedar518

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:27 pm

More great photos. Think you made a wise decision to stay off that ladder.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Sparkle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm

No my back was fine then. The funny thing Beth and I have noticed since we started traveling is that the German people stay strictly on the paths. When we were at the Petroglyph site the Camp Host told us to be sure and check out the ones off the path, so we did. We talked to some people about the awesome ones we were seeing and they were very cold to us. The first time that has happened. I figured it was because they thought we were just terrible for going off the marked path. The same at Gila. They never deviated from the path, although it was obvious you were welcome to explore inside. Both times the people were German.
Sparkle

Postby WickedLady » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Perhaps Germany has very strict rules in their parks and straying from the path is not allowed. Great pix. Thanks.
WickedLady

Postby Sparkle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:37 pm

I agree. That was the feeling I had too. They were probably calling us Ugly Americans.
Sparkle

Postby snowball » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:38 pm

very interesting Sparkles
enjoyed the photo's I can see going off the road if that is allowed!!
thanks for the trip
sheila
snowball

Postby carold » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:56 am

Enjoyed the pics. We were there in Oct of '05 and were lucky enough to see the leaves changing colors as well as the cliffs. I love revisiting sights with other peoples views. carold
carold

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:42 am

I'm in the process of downloading over 300 pics from my camera. 99% are Gila, the balloon glow and the balloon ride this morning. Will probably not get time to go through them all hoping some turned out the way I hoped until tonight or tomorrow - but will try to add some of my shots to those Sparkle posted soon. An awesome place and my rig could have gone either road :) --- Not Sparkle's, though. And there was a Class A that had overheated brakes who went the "good" way. It's so beautiful though - and a must see and do for me again.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk