Where's Liz? Hopkins Prairie Wilderness

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Where's Liz? Hopkins Prairie Wilderness

Postby Liz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Hopkins Prairie Wilderness

You might think that time has not changed this wilderness much, but the reality is that the land is constantly changing with the whims of nature. Hurricanes, drought, and fire have all had their influence here, and yet nature does go on, as it has for hundreds of years.

Right now the water is low and looks more like a prairie, but it becomes a lake and fisherman’s haven when the rains come.

Hopkins Prairie is a pristine area where I will be returning many times. This was our campsite on a point of land facing west, overlooking the sometimes prairie, sometimes lake.

Another view with slanting evening rays.

We started our fire, grilled hamburgers and settled in to await the anticipated sunset.

Belle was anxious to roast a marshmallow.

Sunset over the prairie

Some sights from our evening walk:

We didn’t actually see the alligators, but we know they are there. You’ll know too if you listen to the night sounds.

I’m not sure what this structure is, but my guess is a bat house…anybody know?

Even the prairie has its phallic symbols…

It wasn’t really the sounds of silence, but rather the symphony of natural sounds that impressed me as darkness fell. The sounds were accentuated due to the absence of human sounds. If you look and listen carefully, you’ll see the fireflies and hear a variety of bird, insect, amphibian, and the unmistakable grunts of the alligator. Here are the sounds of the night:

This was my view out my bedroom window when I awoke:

And these were the songs of the morning I enjoyed with my morning coffee.

There were very few fellow campers, and all nice people. I met a local man who was fishing from his homemade wooden kayak. Wished I’d gotten a picture of it. There was another man from Flint Michigan who was taking a short vacation after being laid off from an auto industry job. A couple from Wisconsin is here for a month, staying at a different forest cg, but came to check out Hopkins Prairie at sunset. Two other men had a boat they planned to take up the Ocklawaha River today.

After a breakfast of fresh fruit, we headed out to the Yearling Trail. I’ll put that in another thread.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Where's Liz? Hopkins Prairie Wilderness

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:34 pm

WOW, Liz! I LOVE the video/audio clips. I can hear a southern whipoorwill and many tree frogs and crickets in the night one. And the morning sounds included some pretty songbird I don't know---oriole, perhaps?----some bird we don't have, crows, blue jay, and lots of red-winged blackbirds. What a beautiful campsite this is...I can't WAIT to get down there and explore all those pretty FL State sites. I especially love your little niche in the woods!

Belle sure does know how to roast marshmallows! I'm surprised she didn't melt her little tushie off!

Looks as if you had great weather for a nice weekend out. Yesterday was beautiful here, but today was grey, rainy, and cold....it's down to about 39 now, so Molly and I decided to move back in here for the night where I have a sweet wood fire burning! We did spend all day and last evening out there, however, and it sure did feel good to be out of the house!

I'll have to try to remember to get a video clip of the pond during spring peeper season to share. My camera takes video, too, and I never think to use it. Thanks for the nice camping sharing!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks Liz! What a great camping area. And yes, I heard the alligator! Haven't heard that since Alabama.
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:09 pm

what great pictures, that really looks like a very nice place to go, but I'm wondering
about the alligators, do they wander the campground at night? I've never been anywhere
that had alligators, well except the zoo, and that just doesn't count :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:15 pm

I don't think the alligators wander the cg, but they weren't far away. Just to be sure, I made my two little gator baits go inside the camper.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: alligators ..... I camped near Mobile on the gulf,.... yep,...signs to not little children or pets at the water's edge. My step-son warned me to not lean far over the railing on the little fishing pier. He said they can jump up out of the water,... was he teasing me? I took it serious. But that may have been a joke on me,...don't know. I did see the sign. I saw alligators around under the pier.
Cedar518

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:17 pm

What a beautiful place to camp. Love you photos and video/audio too. I could actually hear the audio with my new hearing aids.
Good to see Belle out enjoying herself again. Be careful to keep her and Roe out of 'gater reach.
Last edited by bluepinecones on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Cedar ; Not a joke. 'Gaters can be very dangerous and they are much quicker than most people think. I saw a poor little dog get snatched from waters edge in FL (on Sanibel Island) many years ago. The poodle was on a leash and the lady walking him tried to pull him back but it was too late. I cried with her but there was little else we could do; it happened so fast.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Sparkle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Just lovely..my kind of place. I didn't see the fireflies, but I heard you whispering that they were there.
Sparkle

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:29 pm

I kinda figured he was serious,... I knew I didn't want those big jaws and teeth getting close to me.
Cedar518

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 pm

Liz, the video sound clips really added to the experience. Thanks for including them, too.
Are you getting use to your PW or are you regretting not getting another RT?
AlmostThere

Postby snowball » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:12 am

enjoyed that so much!! what part of Florida where you at? the morning one I didn't hear the sounds wasn't sure if it was the silence we were suppose to hear or if it didn't work on mine...guess it didn't work on mine as others heard sound...really nice.
I have a niece that just move to Miamie and she loves to camp bet she would really like this area
sheila
snowball

Postby Liz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:14 am

Hopkins Prairie cg is in the Ocala National Forest off Rte 19.

There are actually more sounds on the morning clip and you can hear the gators grunt several times. Try turning the volume up on your computer.
Liz
Liz

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 am

I guess I'm not paying attention to those subtle low grunts of an aligator, sounding like a pig....what I was listening for is the horrendously LOUD, BOOMING, Tympanic sound of a bull aligator in full heat like I heard a couple of mornings in the Everglades, making the most gawd-awful roaring sound I have ever heard, even in any zoos I have ever visited, from lions and tigers and grizlies. I nearly fell off the boardwalk at the Everglades when I heard that sound! I was hoping to catch that once again! I have recently heard the little grunts from baby gators in Shingle Creek near the FL house, and I guess those mild grunts of the adults sound much like those, only lower and louder. Not very impressive to me...but the bird songs on that morning clip are GREAT!

These sounds are what I remember!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5GJdZr5ew

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/animal- ... -video.htm

Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Liz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:06 pm

What I wasn't able to catch on the evening clips was the number of those grunts coming from every direction...and as they began to sound closer....sort of circling us in a half-moon, I made Bandit and Roe go inside the camper....didn't want them to become gator bait. I sat out and listened a few more minutes, but it was so peaceful, I got sleepy soon. I've never heard what you describe in the Everglades....future advnture!
Liz
Liz

Return to General Talk