Pistachio Farm

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Pistachio Farm

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Yesterday we drove through a Pecan Farm unintentionally (first time on this trip I did that to us) - but it was so pretty that we didn't mind. We deliberately went on a tour of a Pistachio Farm. This time of year the male trees are fertilizing the female trees. Very important as the males don't produce pistachios, but the females won't if they don't get fertilized. They are planted, about one male to every 8-10 female trees with the knowledge of the direction the wind comes through the first 3 weeks of April. Just think, if the wind reversed itself, a lot of pistachios wouldn't make it to market.

Oh, the NM pistachios aren't in trouble from the latest health problems. That's in California. That said, there are only a couple areas in North America where pistachio trees can be grown - a small area in California where most of our pistachios come from - and this area in southern NM and into Mexico.

OK - here's a pic of the field. The male trees are taller than the female trees:

I can't even begin to tell you how good it smelled in the production room - these were green chili pistachios:

I immediately thought of Lucy:

And Sparkle bought some of this for the birds (I considered buying it for me - only problem with it was it didn't "look" as good:

Around the breakfast table - biscotti anyone?:

The pistachio farm has a dog - it said hi to me - then he discovered Sparkle. Now, I've seen how all the dogs love Sparkle. But look closely - it's not her that the dog loves - he can smell Bogie on her jeans.

Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Pistachio Farm

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:35 pm

I love pistachios. Please tell me you got to eat at least a few or do they just sell the bird food rejects? The smell of them roasting must make you hungary for a handful. Just the thought of it did me. Are the tree as short as they look? I've never seen one growing.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 pm

They aren't short, aren't tall, lol. Yep, they had samples out. I tasted a bunch of different pistachios, ate some pistachio brittle, pistachio cookies, drank some pistachio wine - and I purchased some pistachios for me and some of the brittle - it is soooooooo good. They have a website - you can buy your own: Eagle Ranch Pistachios
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:01 am

Oh that Biscotti looks yummy! Interesting!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:09 am

that looked like a fun little adventure, and the production room looked so clean!
and that biscotti looked really good.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Sparkle » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 am

Re the dog. This is how I know its time to take a shower.
Sparkle

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:19 pm

WHAT??? NO PISTACHIO MUFFINS????
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Return to General Talk