Jornada Mogollon

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Jornada Mogollon

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Across the way from the petroglyphs was a Jornada Mogollon village - hopefully you'll be able to read the first pic:

Following are some of the homes, that changed as time passed. First this is their home of about 1000 years ago. The great mass would keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The fireplace would have been for heating and cooking. An animal hide was probably used at the door:

As the village grew the people stopped building pit house and started building adobe surface houses. These sometimes had several connecting rooms. In the pic below 3 rooms have been excavated to show how they might have lived. Rooms were small, but they had no furniture, probably slept on mats on the floor and they most likely spent most of their time outdoors. Usually people buried their dead beneath the floors of their home. Two such burials were found here during the reconstruction of this home:

Finally, this is of a later period and more complex. The floor was cut into gypsum; the roof made of logs, branches and mud. It's believed (as the others above are also) to be the home of a single family. The small doorway indicated the size of the people. Men are thought to have been about 5'4 and women no more than 5'. Having a small entrance would have retained the room's heat and strengthened the structure overall.

And Sparkle looks like she fits perfect in there, doesn't she?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Jornada Mogollon

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Great photos and lesson on the area. yes, Sparkle looks to be a perfect fit for the house.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Your trip is so cool. You are seeing such neat things.

So, speaking as a house-tethered person,

"I wanna play, too..."

Michelle
mitch5252

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks! That is interesting Beth,.... I always try to imagine what the people were like. I just can't imagine burying my deceased family members under the floor of my house.... peeeuuuuuu!
Cedar518

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 am

That is so interesting! Thanks for sharing.
AlmostThere

Return to General Talk