Tornado/RV Park

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Tornado/RV Park

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:37 pm

This time the damage in the wee hours of this morning were from gravity wave winds that blew for almost two hours and reached 70 mph. Damage was wide spread. Trees/power lines down everywhere; some trees were more than 150 years old, a sad loss. Huntsville, Guntersville, and Scottsboro were hit Friday and again today. For more on todays wind see http://www.whnt.com/whnt-april-13-storm-damage,0,2469554.story
Sparkle: couple of trees down on Stanford got power lines but no houses.
We have about 30 minutes left on what should be our last severe thunderstorm warning for the night (have been under t-storm or tornado watch or warning most of today). Once this one clears we are to have a 3 or 4 day break in the bad weather, not even any rain for a few days!
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 am

I Hadn't thought of that, Wicked! But you are right! But, perhaps one like in that picture...a huge cement culvert half-buried and covered with a garden of sorts? Anything would be better than nothing, I would think.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Sparkle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 am

I'm inclined to think that if a tornado passed over a culvert it would suck you right out. I think you'd need a heavy barred door. They always say not to hide under the overpasses when you're on the Interstate. On second thought, anything would be better than nothing. At least a tree or a roof wouldn't fall on you.
Sparkle

Postby Getupngo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:38 am

My first encounter in tornado country was a few years ago, when I bought my first RV on eBay and was driving it home from Houston. I had planned to stop in Wichita Falls (TX), but had a bad feeling and kept moving ... stopping in a motel in Vernon (the air in the $#@!% RV didn't work).

I went out to a C-store to get something to eat, and the streets were all deserted and the sky was a color I'd never seen before, so my spidey-sense told me something was amiss. I was in a motel that night, and kept watching the weather reports ... and had no idea which county I was in. So I was scared scared scared all night. There were tornadoes that night ... and went through (you guessed it) Witchita Falls.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Previous

Return to General Talk