Tornado/RV Park

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Tornado/RV Park

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:49 pm

A short slide show of some of the area damage in yesterday's storm. Note that photo#9 thru #15 were at an RV park along edge of lake. Still hard to believe no one was seriously hurt. Warning time was good and people knew what to do.
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/04/slideshow_tornado_damage_at_la.html
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/04/jackson_county_man_and_his_dog.html
Last edited by bluepinecones on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Tornado/RV Park

Postby WickedLady » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:55 pm

I lived in North Dakota for 6 years and my worst fear was thunderstorms at night. Only had to go to the basement once for one that touched down a mile from town but those storms at night kept me awake til they passed.
WickedLady

Postby soisew » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:53 pm

We stayed overnight at an RV park near Topeka, KS a couple of years ago. The weather radio was going off all night. The park had it's own storm shelter, however, when a tornado warning was issued -- no one in the park used it!

I think all RV parks in the tornado belt need to have shelters and let people know ahead of time what to do, warn them in person (management) in the event of severe weather. What really confused me while listening to all the storm warnings on the weather radio...NOAA warns people about storms moving in certain directions across certain named counties -- what if -- you are a traveler, not a local -- you won't know the names of the county you are in or the names of the surroundings counties & thier relationship to where you are unless you drag out a map that has county names on it. This is where RV park managers could help -- give campers a small map of the area showing storm shelters & county names/locations in the area. I know many workcampers are out there -- maybe this could be a suggestion to RV park management.

I think when many of us pull into a campground, especially for a quick overnight rest -- we barely know what day of the week it is let alone all the emergency info we need to know.

Have any fellow travelers discovered this same scenario to be true?
soisew

Postby dpf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Last summer a couple of my friends and I went to a resort for a get-a-way. None of the cabins had basements put this was the storm shelter that was provided. They made sure that we knew where it was when we checked in.

Doesn't look like much...but if the weather was bad I'll crawl in even though I am claustrophobic!
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Sparkle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:37 pm

That slideshow was awesome. Especially for me as I know that area. Maybe I'll rethink my "what the hey" attitude when it comes to storm warnings.
Sparkle

Postby avalen » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 pm

between all the fires, and now the tornadoes, I hope all our sistahs will check in, anyone
heard from Trudy lately? She was on her way home wasn't she?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Lotus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Trudy is doing fine. She is home, and we emailed each other today.

Becky
Lotus

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I think most of the travelers places in our area have severe weather info and/or weather shelters. We also have some of the best weather technology in the nation in terms of tracking storms. Sometimes the storms pop up so fast that even that technology cannot give adequate warning. This time we were lucky both with the timely warnings and with people heading them. That combination probably saved many lives yesterday. Believe me, one does not have to live thru very many tornados before you pay attention to the warnings.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby snowball » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:30 pm

we traveled back to the mid west last spring and had the same thoughts. When we heard the radio had no idea where things were happening and the same with that radio no idea where county whatchcallit was....very good idea
sheila
snowball

Postby Pooker » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:36 am

In out travels, we have been in areas that were having tornado or other violent storm warnings and I agree that they are useless to those of us just spending the night because they only list counties. Would be helpful if they listed towns and cities as a routine.

We pulled into one campground for the night and there was a sign posted on the door that they had a storm cellar in the laundry building. Well, our site was at least a mile from the office and we had made numerous turns to get there. Plus, we hadn't disconnected the car. When the wind and rain started and the tv kept issuing warnings I searched through all the literature they had given us and no mention of which county we were in! When the hail started, I was scared to death, but my DH went to bed. And worse, he fell asleep! I, on the other hand, knew if I didn't stay glued to the tv we would be swept away! My sheer will must be keeping us safe because I wasn't about to run a mile on foot to find a shelter.

When we pulled out next morning, we only got about a mile down the road when we saw the devastation where the tornado had gone through and broke all the trees off about 4 feet up like toothpicks! Guess you know I said, "I told you so!"
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:56 pm

I've lived through a couple tornados - sat with my mother watching out our apartment window while the tornado actually lifted our roof and set it back down - it swept right in front of our eyes down the parking lot between apt bldgs and then took of most of the 3rd story of the bldg 2 down (these were all 3 story bldgs, and our apt was on the 3rd story). The other time, I ignored the sirens and went to bed - and the tornado took off down the street in front me me taking out all the power lines, etc. I was without power several days.

When I was about 12 or so - one of my good friends died in a tornado. Since they had followed ALL the rules - and were doing what they should - I have had a laissez faire attitude since. Maybe not right, but I figure it's gonna happen or not - whether I do what I should or not. Now, being in an rv, I do try to not stay where I see those type of storms heading - but sometimes, it's just gonna happen and I'm just gonna pray and go to bed as usual. Storm shelters are better about allowing pets - but didn't used to be - so if I did find out about one, I might go there if Peaches could come with.

As to those pics, I was sent a link to those from my friend - as Lake Guntersville is where I spent lots of time - the town I have as a full-time address right now is the one right next to it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 pm

Living in the Midwest I don't pay a lot of attention to the warnings but last few years we've had a couple of storms that have sent us to the basement. But, by the time we got all three dogs down the steps the worst had passed.
In 2004 not long after the horrible Indian Ocean tsunami I was in Brookings Oregon at an RV park right on the beach with my cousin. She had gone away for a few days I was 'home alone' and we had an earthquake. There was a big sign in the park that said in case of an earthquake you should go to higher ground because there might be a tsunami. I ran outside and only one car was leaving, the locals said, don't worry just watch the weather channel and they will say if anything to worry about. So, I went inside and the local weather guy is saying...if you are on the beach move immediately to higher ground until an all clear is issued as conditions may be right for a tsunami. Talk about scared!!! I called the one other person I knew there and she directed me to her house which was at least off the beach. After they gave the all clear, I was up most of the night looking out to see if the big wave was coming after me!
None of their warnings went off and guess there was big concern later. Brookings is not far from Crescent City, CA which was devastated many years ago by a tsunami. I was ready to go home after that!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Tornadoes scare the pooty out of me. I really like the idea of having a shelter in tornado country.... if not a cellar, then certainly one like the picture. If I thought the homeowner's association would allow it in FL, I would recommend that my son build him a shelter of sorts, as that house has no cellar...just a slab. Guess I won't be venturing far from here during tornado season!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby WickedLady » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Florida doesn't have cellar because they are only a few feet above sea level. If they dug for cellars they would hit sea water :lol:
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Winds hit that same area - and a campground in Guntersville was leveled - no one injured, thank Goodness. Luckily the storms are supposed to be passed for at least a few days in that area right now.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk