Carlsbad and Sitting Bull Falls

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Carlsbad and Sitting Bull Falls

Postby Sparkle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:22 pm

The entrance to Carlsbad Caverns.

Looking back up at the entrance.

The sign at the Bat Cave. We waited from about 6.30 to 8.30 for the bats to come out. There is a microphone and we heard them rustling around. One bat came out and said "Oh shit, it's too cold, I'm going back to bed!" So we did too.

Beth kept telling me what she saw in the formations. There was a face...there was a head with hair. so I asked her what she thought this was.

I was disapointed with the photos I took, they are so hard to photograph in the low light. Maybe Beth has some more.
Then it was on to Sitting Bull Falls. Again, hard to photograph. There wasn't all that much water, but it was still spectacular. Hard to photograph because the water was so spread out. We loved it though.

Beth in front of the Falls.

Can't do a post without one of my favorite Beth's Ass photo's.

We climbed a path right to the top of the Falls. Peaches did it too.
Sparkle

Re: Carlsbad and Sitting Bull Falls

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:22 am

very good ladies!!!! admire you for going out and doing the walking alone would kill me off
sheila
snowball

Postby carold » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:41 am

Been to Carlsbad. Don't know how we missed those falls. Thanks for the pics. Enjoying our trip. DH is posting some of the pics on his blog and will put in albums later-don't seem to have time to do both blog and forum, but will try. carold
carold

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:52 am

You two are certainly having a blast! Congrats on the hike to the top of the falls,... after looking at those pics I think I'll go rest in my recliner! :lol:

Stay safe and have fun! (Like i have to say THAT!)
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:51 am

Certainly enjoy the pictures you post, saw Carlsbad as a ten year old but never saw
the falls.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Redetotry » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:29 am

Those steps look like a challenge to me! Interesting 'formations' !!

When you were at the bat cave did they mention the disease called White Nose Bat syndrome? It is killing off colonies of bats and in some states all the caves are closed and there are bats & a $10,000 fine if you enter as it is so easily spread. People go in the caves where bats are and carry the disease out on their clothes and shoes. We need bats!

Keep on having fun!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Getupngo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am

Oh, all you ladies are so restrained ... all that admiration and talking about white nose disease.

I want to say for the record ... I will not let Sparkle within snapping range anywhere near MY butt!! LOL!

PS: Nice pictures ... and I think the falls photo looked great. :P
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am

Love the pictures. I loved the caverns and there was a lot more water when I was at Sitting Bull Falls. First time we tried to go there the road was closed because of water over the road.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:16 am

Great pics of the caves etc. It's on my bucket list.
Carol, I just visited your blog and love, love, love the pictures and travelogue!
AlmostThere

Postby Sparkle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:59 am

I did ask the Ranger about the White Nose Syndrome and no, they don't have it...yet. They think it's related to that disease that has hit the bees. If we lose the bats and the bees we are in trouble. No flowers and fruit and way too many insects. They will end up ruling the world.
Sparkle

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:05 pm

We did Carlsbad about 20 years ago while Stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX....still looks the same....we did stay for the bats nightly exit out of the caves....really weird having them going over my head....bats rank right up there with snakes... :shock: Thanks for the photos....and yep, will try to remember to keep Sparkle in front of me with her camera, too, Jan.... :lol:
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:27 pm

In front or in back, I'll just be happy to get up the hill. keep the stories coming.... And we have all seen worse rears at the flea markets......here in Ohio, it is a cultural given.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:21 pm

OK, just figured I'd up a couple pics on this thread - finally.

I didn't get many good pics at Carlsbad - but here's one of the Sharks Teeth (they called them whales mouth - don't know why):

Then, when we went to Sitting Bull Falls (it's not at Carlsbad but in another part of the Guadalupe Mountains) - here's one of the falls that you might be able to see the water a bit better (although not as good as we could - and definitely not what they look like when not in a dought):

First, I sat Peaches at the bottom of the falls while taking pics - and snapped some of her watching us wandering around:

Here's the falls again - and I will definitely go back there again - drought or not - lovely area - so peaceful, worth the drive in:

Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:24 pm

the water falls are just great! thanks again for sharing
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk