What do ya know about....

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

What do ya know about....

Postby avalen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Facebook?
my daughter showed me her "wall" on facebook, and some friends etc, so of course
I got just a little curious but am afraid to post too much. I'm really having a hard
time navigating my own wall to figure it all out. Anyone else peeked into it?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: What do ya know about....

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:31 pm

I've played around just a little bit - actually trying to check on some friends' kids...I don't get it and I'm usually really good about computers and software. I liked MySpace much better. Even when my friends tell me what to search for to find them, they don't show up. And then the next time, they do. And then don't. Grrrrr...but heck, I now have you guys...who needs Facebook!

I'll bet if you spend a little more time, you'd get the hang of it.
mitch5252

Postby soisew » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Friends and family invited me to see thier Facebook site some time ago. However they didn't say I had to join to see the site, so...I did. I did make the site private enough no one but the friends I allowed could see my page. I posted and used it a few months then I began getting a lot of invititations to be added to the friends list from people with foreign names I did not know. On Facebook they want a real name not an ID name. So I did and a photo just like my growing list of family and friends did. But when someone does a search, even if you make your site private your name, photo and the names and photos of all your friends is visible to everyone! By the time I started getting a lot of the weird invititations -- I ended my Facebook membership right quick and don't intend to ever go back to such a site. We've heard that hackers use Facebook and other sites like this to steal info about people...that's enough...was enough to keep me outa there forever.

So my advice is to use Facebook if you wish just beware that you are somewhat public but they claim you are safe. At one time a while back Facebook had changed thier rules and were to "own" all the data, images, etc. you posted to thier/your site. However they got a lot of bad news about it from thier members so they back tracked on that idea but are considering altering thier conditions of use but have not announced what those changes will be. Be very careful to read those agreements/use rules, etc.

I know on this site we are all public too complete with photos, etc. Every bit of data posted on a public site is accessable by anyone in the world so...we must all just be careful. Google your screen name some day to understand that fully.

But this is today's world of technoloby. For the most part we are all safe. Just know what you are getting into.
soisew

Postby Bethers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm on facebook cuz it's how I keep track of some friends. And it's been good for me as some of my old old friends and classmates found me there - so I'm back in touch with them.

They keep fooling with their format and other things tho - and I find some of it confusing - but I just ignore all that stuff and use it for the communicating with some friends.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Lotus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 am

Ava,
Many of my friends are on Facebook, and so I joined also. I guess I just don't get it yet. My real estate agent said she joined recently and loves it....said she likes it much more than emailing a friend. For sure I don't get that part of it. Right now I think of it as a game, and I've never been one to play games on computer. I will still give it a chance and explore more! I rarely go on it more than once a week to just take a peek!

Lotus
Lotus

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:57 am

my daughter talked me into joining and through it have reconnected with an old class mate....it's been fun but don't do the games ect as the rest seem to do
sheila
snowball

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 pm

I also just joined recently after a request from my 63 year old step sister, who lives in NYC. (We have each others e-mail but are not really close and have only communicated much when my father started to go down hill physically but requested that I take over power of attorney, and become Trustee for his Trust because he no longer trusted the mental capacity of his wife (my step- mother) to make decisions in his best interest. We communicated a lot at that time - just so I could convince her to get back to Ohio and visit her own mother, so she could evaluate the situation first hand.) Anyway...I decided that any connection with her was more than we had now. The plus was that my son in NYC and daughter in NC, who had already joined to keep in touch with their high school, 4-H, college and work people agreed to let their "ma" be a friend. Now every time my son is off traveling to some end of the earth, I know about it without him having to remember to call home.... My daughter is an educator and she keeps her site very private and allows no comments or pictures from others to be shown. I found out from another teacher friend of mine that educators are warned about using either site MS or FB......primarily because it is so easy for others to post anything on your site which may or may not be true and may or may not be good for your career. This way I do know that she can check out any pictures I post and knows what I am up to. She is able to put a comment on my page that just I can read, but no one can see what it is by looking at her page. I have found several classmates from high school and college. It has also been a way to keep in touch with my past co-workers from the Vet clinic I worked for last year. It has its benefits, but is not as dazzling as it is made out to be.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:51 pm

so far what I understand is that only those I say can be my friend are able to read
or post to me. I hope I'm right. I will check it out more as time goes on.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:42 pm

My daughter also did Facebook because her her kids, (my grandkids) did it. I checked it out but didn't join and create a page, or wall or whatever they call it. too confusing for me. Or maybe my patience wore out! :lol:
Cedar518

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 am

I'm on Face Book and have grouped my friends into several groups there.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:40 am

I am on FB and love it. I have connected with a lot of "old" classmates and many friends. You just have to be smart about it. There is an RV group on there and other interesting groups.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Getupngo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 pm

I've been on FB for several months now ... and I was able to reconnect with a lot of my news media colleagues ... PLUS I've got a full-on flirtation going on with a fellow there as well. I'm also able to do some business on FB ... so it's good.

I keep my site VERY restricted ... only my "friends" can view or post. And if someone seems, well, strange, I just "un-friend" them. FB doesn't tell them I've done that. I had someone that I think I used to date (not sure) who asked for and I granted "friend" status ... then he started sounding creepy ... so off he went!!
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Return to General Talk