Update from Allen, Tx.

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Update from Allen, Tx.

Postby Fernie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:32 pm

I am still in Allen, Texas with my sister. She had her 6th radiation treatment (25 total) and also saw her surgeon who operated on her foot (took toes off right foot and yes she is diabetic). He is pleased and says next week to begin putting more weight on it. He wants the stub totally healed and thought she might be able to start walking this week but wasn't comfortable with that today. When she can walk, they will make her orthodics with the toe filler for the right foot and she will have therapy to learn to balance better. I may get to fly to Az. for a week to 10 days after Easter if my younger brother can shake loose and come back. He has to leave the 26 so I will have to be back here the 25th. I hope by the middle of May, she is on her own again. Have to wait and see. She won't consider any kind of assisted living.

My nephew has a girl in the hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana, who has double pneumonia. It is bacterial and they say it can be treated but she hasn't been responding to treatment up to this point. She is 16 and has been on a respirator since last Thursday They are keeping her sedated. They have started reducing the sedation but don't know if they can keep her there because she is pretty aggitated and upset. Please remember her in your thoughts and prayers. This is a special family. My nephew and his wife can't have kids. They are 30-31 and have adopted 5 kids who probably would not have been adopted otherwise. They have two sisters who are somewhere around 17 and 19, The 16 year old then two younger brothers who are somewhere around 9 and 11. Got too many nephews/nieces and the great ones and even a few great great and this ole can't remember all those ages!!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Re: Update from Allen, Tx.

Postby avalen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:55 pm

prayers for everybody Fernie, including YOU, you have a full plate going for sure.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Stay strong and be sure to take care of yourself, too...my prayers are winging their way to you tonight.

Michelle
mitch5252

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as well.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Bethers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:00 am

Fernie, I'm glad to hear you might be able to get to AZ for a well-deserved break. Hope that works out. I'm saddened to hear about your niece with pneumonia. You bet I'll keep her in my prayers/thoughts. Thanks for the update, was just thinking about you and wondering how things were going.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:59 am

Wow Fernie,... do remember to take some time for YOU, too,... that's a lot of family worry for you. I'm joining others in sending my best wishes to everyone!
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am

So sorry you're having a rough time. Will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. Take care of yourself.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 am

Take care of yourself, Fernie. You have been stretching yourself thin here of late.
Prayers and blessings for you and your family.
AlmostThere

Postby Getupngo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am

Fernie, I'm sorry for the struggles in your family ... your sister sounds like a fighter ...and your niece's situation sounds frightening. Your loved ones -- and you! -- are in my prayers.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Fernie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:46 pm

I talked to my brother awhile ago and my great niece is breathing on her own now pretty much and her fever has gone down. They have had to sedate her again to keep her calm but she is starting to improve. It is scarey for sure!! No one knows who or where she got it!! All the kids who my nephew and his wife have adopted were taken from their parents so they have all been through a lot already. Sometimes we don't count our blessings until we learn of other peoples lives and stuggles and we realize how blessed we are.
Fernie

Postby Fernie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 pm

My brother said today Tayia is out of Pediatric ICU, talking, eating, and they took her down to therapy. She is very week and breathing shallow but doing fine. They expect her to go home the middle of the week sometime---probably Wed. or Thurs. Gee---how fast kids can turn around!! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.
Fernie

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 am

Great news. Now you get some rest for yourself.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Fernie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:43 am

I slept like a baby last night. I haven't been sleeping well at all. Maybe it is knowing I get to fly back to Az. for a break. Told Mary yesterday when I come back the end of April that I can only stay till the middle of May then I have to go home. Also told her my brother could not come back in may because he has Dr. visits set up every week after his cruise for his knee. We are getting old and falling apart!!! She seems to think she will be able to get by on her own by then. If now, she is going to have to consider alternative living arrangements which she won't even talk about now.
Fernie

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 am

Thinking of you, Fernie. Praying for your family.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Birdie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Fernie, I am glad that things are looking brighter for you and your extended family. If for some reason you are unable to make a trip out to Az, please PM me as I will be driving through Allen to see my mom in Oklahoma about the 16th and I'd love to have a diet dr pepper with you there in Allen. I do hope you get that trip! I will be in Tucson about the 1st of May if you are headed that way perhaps we could meet up there. Will continue prayers for health of your family and especially for you as a care-taker.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Next

Return to General Talk