Where'd So Many Of You Come From?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Where'd So Many Of You Come From?

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 am

When I have had the time, I've been reading the 'introduce yourselves' topic to get to know you all better. You seem so familiar with one another, but the forum only goes back to mid-2008. So, it seems like many of you 'defected' from another forum (which is where I assume you all became friends)? Which forum? Why did you leave and start your own. Running a forum is a pretty big undertaking, and Beth - I congratulate you on all the work you put in here!

Well, I gotta go tend to my pot of pinto beans - I eat TONS of pinto beans (no added fat, though...) because of all that wonderful fiber!!! And, luckily, I've been married long enough where the side effects are okay to share without having to excuse myself to the garage! :o

Michelle
mitch5252

Re: Where'd So Many Of You Come From?

Postby Sparkle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:27 am

Touchy subject that we have tried to avoid. I will speak for myself. On the other Forum I spoke up about something I didn't feel was right. When I went back I found I had been banned.
Sparkle

Postby Lotus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:48 am

Yes, there was/is another forum. Although I do not know specifics of what happened, the result is this wonderful forum! I don't rv; however, my BFF has an rv and will go full-time when she retires this year. She introduced me to forums and blogs, and it's fun and interesting to read, learn, and travel with the gals. Glad you found us. Your Marlin Resort sounds awesome!

Lotus (Becky)
Lotus

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 am

I'm sorry - I didn't know it was a sore subject! (I had just recently tried to find my Sienna Van forum which was one of the most helpful forums I'd ever belonged to and lo-and-behold - GONE! I was so bummed, but I ultimately tracked down where many of the members had gone). That's what made me curious about this one. I'm also sorry that you had a bad experience with the other forum. I sure know here, all you ladies are so welcoming and upbeat and cheerful - it's a fun place to go in the morning...I just wish I had more of an idea of the players and their families and locations (sometimes, a state isn't mentioned - just the city. I just scrach my head and move on! :D ) But, the more I read, the more I'll eventually understand!

Thanks for being such a positive group of Lady RVers (and apparently, dog/animal lovers)!

Michelle
mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 am

Lotus wrote: Your Marlin Resort sounds awesome!

Lotus (Becky)

Lotus, I see you're in middle TN - not too far from The Blue Marlin (about 2:15 from Nashville). Summer's a great time to visit! Heck, I'll set up The Mobile Marlin (our little trailer) and you can pretend you're camping - right in between the pool and the pond...we even have a fire pit (a new addition last year)!!

I'm quite serious. It's one of the reasons I joined this forum - to make some girlfriends who like the RV lifestyle. My hubby just isn't nuts about it!

Michelle
Last edited by mitch5252 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 am

As you noticed, yes, many of us did come from another forum first. Some still belong to it - some left it, some had to leave it - but this forum started with the tenet that we will not flame anyone/anything - so while some are still very fond of that forum and some really aren't - we pretty much have ignored the subject. It's not taboo, and I understand how you would ask after reading lots of those posts.

Thanks for the kind words to me. I build websites as well as travel - so when a couple people asked me how difficult it would be to start a forum - well, I didn't know until I tried. Voila - we have this forum and I think it works pretty well, and I thank you for noticing.

This forum can only work so well because of the wonderful women who are part of it and share here. Like you, I sometimes wish some of them would give more information - and when you feel that way in a thread - ASK. All that can happen is they don't want to share it. And I like when people fill out their profiles with where they are. Now me - starting Friday I'll truly be on the road again - so I guess my profile will need to be changed to reflect that.

Now, do you add spices or anything to those pinto beans? Something maybe you should share in the recipes section? Yep, I'm nosy!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Personally, I don't feel as if I have been on the forum very long, but truly enjoy the sharing, and sense that down the road I will be able to meet many of the folks here around a real campfire, beach (or picture of Elvis.) I am waiting for those opportunities and adventures. NW TN can be one of them :) Until then, it is nice to know that there are good folks, whose hearts and minds appreciate some similar dreams, realities and sense of adventure...... and joy for the possibilities of life.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Lotus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:33 pm

Michelle,
What a gracious invitation!! I'm in Hendersonville near Nashville. Several other forum members (including BFF) are in Middle Tennessee, and I suspect they'll chime in at some point! I went to your blog recently and it looks as though "ya'll" have much fun!

Lotus
Lotus

Postby ohlucy05 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:33 pm

What I can add is that this is a group of VERY strong women who love to have fun. I know that I make it when I get my flamingo wine glass.(one day Retired Happy.) They follow their dreams (on the road or not.) And they accept all. (Would the world NOT be a great place if we could all learn that? They also are able to be very human and share even mishaps in the hope that others will learn. They ask questions and don't want to have a talking head talk down to them like other websites but truly want help.

They have truly made my day when I was crying and they made me laugh. No not just laugh belly laugh... They made me pray and realize others have greater problems but they work through them and realize that I need to be stronger. They have taught me lots and they make me proud of being a woman. I believe that they are always there for the sistahs.

I have always been told that I may not be everyone's cup of tea but I can tell you that they are accepting women who love people and family and friends and furbabies and that is the best of all worlds. And they allow us to share and that is the greatest gift that as humans we have sharing and our time.

ohlucy
ohlucy05

Postby avalen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:14 pm

yep, bunch of us used to be on the other forum, and still are, but I just love this
place, and I don't have to be afraid to post a link for other places. I still visit the
other forum on occassion but it just isn't the same without my sistahs comradery.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 pm

ohlucy, you just brought tears to my eyes!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:01 pm

I went over to the other forum and lordy got confused, so dashed back here where I am at home with all my Special Sisters. I adore them all!
We hit the road from Puyallup WA in 2001 after drooling about this lifestyle from some other people. We started planing in 1999 to some day spread our wings and explore. In 2006 we bought Winter property in Yuma AZ and now spend 6 MO vegging and whopping it up with friends. We head back North May 1st and explore till Sept.
I just love this lifestyle! My hubby is now a driving instructor for the RV Driving School http://www.rvschool.com. We have had several students stay with us, most of them have been gals!

I have met alot of gals from here and they are real sweethearts, we are true sisters because we are always there for each other.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Birdie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 pm

I got here by having gotten my TT in May and knowing nuthin, I mean nuthin, about RVing, camping, and being a turtle in general I had this sudden revelation. It was a “OMG what have I went and done?” kind of thought. I had joined the Casita Club Forum and one of the ladies mentioned this forum. I actually joined last July, while still working. However, I didn’t find the time to either read or post or do anything while I was working. Hence I learned nothing more than I didn’t know before. Geez, really don’t like that my priorities were kind of screwed up. After I retired, (I love that word :!: ) it was a little trying as I didn’t have internet access unless I happened on WiFi that I felt was safe (working computer security does that to you), and nothing but my TT world. While going through all of this Beth e-mailed me about joining in and when I finally got a roof, then managed to hang myself for 2 years with AT&T air card, here I are.

I intro’d myself the 3rd of March and they already got me to Port Lavaca and we flamingo’d until it got to cold and rainy to do anymore. And that only took about 2 weeks. Gotta keep an eye on these sisters – sistahs. They like to play, have fun, share, and I get the feeling that they really, really care. That’s how I ended up here.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby WickedLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 pm

I pretty much felt ignored on that other forum so when I found out about this one I checked it out and liked what I found. I hope to get on the road one of these days and get to meet some of these marvelous sistahs. Doubt I will get as far east as TN but maybe you and the rest of the Easterners will get to AZ and we will happen to be there at the same time.
WickedLady

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:54 am

Well, I have to say,... ohLucy, you are MY cup of tea! i like how you expressed yourself,.. good post. And everyone else, you are truly the sisters i have never had!

Like Sparkle, I was banned from the other forum for asking questions and indicating that everyone should be treated the same. It is in the past, but I will always answer a direct question. Now we all have this forum where everyone is friendly, we treat each other kindly, and we all support each other. Beth did an awesome job of setting this forum up and it took off like a rocket! :D We are all grateful to Beth everyday that we have this forum! So now we are free to share web site addys, blog addys, and enjoy our friendships.

An Open Invitation!!! Everyone is invited to stop by my place whenever you are in the northeast,... a large back yard where you won't even have to back up a rig, just circle in,... and electric and fresh water fill up. Welcome mat is always out to all my friends from this forum! :D
Cedar518

Next

Return to General Talk