Valentine's Day for Ourselves

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Valentine's Day for Ourselves

Postby JudyJB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 am

I have been thinking about this for a while. Many of us are alone and have our family separated from us. Many of us send cards to grandchildren with money or a goody inside, but other than that, we really don't celebrate Valentine's Day. And some of us have had some rough times lately.

So, here is what I propose. Each of us should think of something really nice that we should do for ourselves on Valentine's Day. Maybe we should treat ourselves to a special restaurant meal with a friend, or buy ourselves flowers or chocolates. (Only the best, of course, because we deserve it.)

I'm not sure what I want to do, but if you think this is a good idea, share with us what you are going to do for you on that day.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Valentine's Day for Ourselves

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 am

Great idea! It is a good excuse to do something special for ourselvs which we ladies don't always take the opportunity to do. Will have to think of something for myself!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 am

It's a good idea. For years I've treated myself for my birthday and Christmas. My Valentine's present this year will be a good report on Peaches at my Monday vet appt.

One year I met a couple women from the forum for lunch on Valentine's Day... First meeting for the 3 of us. I don't think we realized the date we picked in advance but thought it quite apropos while we were at lunch.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 am

I ordered a few of my presents last week and I'm still shopping :) I've found several good after Christmas, end of season mark downs.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Cudedog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 am

I might take a trip up to Terrebonne (Oregon) to take a look at a house I saw on Zillow.

Or not! Not sure the campgrounds are open yet in the Bend area, and I don't like to motel it.

Sending hugs to Beth and Peaches, hoping for good news on Monday.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Andi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:35 am

Just heard this kind of thing talked about on NPR this morning. They're calling it Galentine's Day, which seems like a darned good idea! I just bought 3 pairs of shoes, which is a real extravagance for me.

With the day of the heart coming up, have fingers crossed and prayers said that Peaches' heart is in great shape at the vet's tomorrow.

Andi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
-Rumi
Andi

Postby Colliemom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:04 pm

My Valentine’s Day present to me, will hopefully be a tax refund as I’m getting my taxes done Wednesday :)
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Sue, wish I could say I was getting my taxes done Wednesday.

I use to really be into shoes but now I wear the same kind all the time. I have 4 pair of Easy Spirit shoes, 3 navy and 1 black. They are in different stages of wear. The only way I can tell the difference between the navy ones is that the soles are different. I have caught myself with one navy and one black. :roll:

I would like to have one more King Cake before Tuesday but that would mean a trip to Lafayette. The 14th is also Ash Wednesday. That starts the Lent Season so there will be many seafood specials at the restaurants. I love seafood.

My Valentine present is going to take some thinking.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Good idea Judy. I've got the grandkids' Valentine's cards ready to mail. I usually buy what I want for my birthdays and Christmas and even Valentine's day if I want something. Still thinking of something special for this year. Maybe some See's rocky road candy?? YUM

Anne Ive heard that Bend, OR has become a popular place to buy a home. Maybe a new home for Valentine's Day? I'm planning on looking
at open houses today - maybe I'll like something? Martha I'm still laughing about the navy/black thing. I've done that with pants - putting on navy when should have been black or vise versa. LOL

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY - coming up - to all!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby JudyJB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Linda and Martha, about three years ago, I found some shorts at Kohls that I really liked, so I bought several pairs in various colors. Problem was that the medium blue and dusty green were the same color inside under regular lights, especially the LED lights. I used to match them with shirts based on the colors, and I cannot tell you how many times I got it wrong. My immediate solution was to hold them up to a window and also write the colors on the tags. Eventually, I got tired of them and tossed them all out!!

I also wear nearly entirely one brand of shoe--SAS. They are expensive but last a long time and are extremely comfortable. I have my eyes on replacing one pair with new. I keep one particular pair in my driver's seat area, and constantly get them wet when I fill or dump tanks, so they are shot and look bad. If I get new ones, I'll still keep the old ones for wet jobs.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I had several pairs of corduroy pants when I was in Minnesota. I had to mark the tags on the black, blue and green ones to know what color they each were! In the light at home they all looked the same!

I am going to a city council meeting in Encinitas on V-Day with the ferret legalization group to try to convince them to make their city "ferret-friendly". Our group leader feels that if we get enough cities on board, the state will take it more seriously and finally decide to legalize them statewide. There are several cities who have already decided to become ferret friendly!

Bailey's has a new flavor out for Valentines Day, Strawberries and Cream :D . I am going to try to find it this week! I bought some stuff last night to make strawberry shortcake so will have that too. Maybe I could pour the Baileys over the cake first! Or mix it in with the strawberries! Hmmm..... :lol:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:I had several pairs of corduroy pants when I was in Minnesota. I had to mark the tags on the black, blue and green ones to know what color they each were! In the light at home they all looked the same!

I am going to a city council meeting in Encinitas on V-Day with the ferret legalization group to try to convince them to make their city "ferret-friendly". Our group leader feels that if we get enough cities on board, the state will take it more seriously and finally decide to legalize them statewide. There are several cities who have already decided to become ferret friendly!

Bailey's has a new flavor out for Valentines Day, Strawberries and Cream :D . I am going to try to find it this week! I bought some stuff last night to make strawberry shortcake so will have that too. Maybe I could pour the Baileys over the cake first! Or mix it in with the strawberries! Hmmm..... :lol:

Barbie have you ever has a tres Lache cake??? fairly easy to make not sure if Baileys is a dairy with extra or a artificial creamer with extra or not...but you might look into a tres lache cake recipe see if it would work...
sheila
snowball

Postby Cudedog » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:45 am

BarbaraRose wrote:Bailey's has a new flavor out for Valentines Day, Strawberries and Cream :D . I am going to try to find it this week! I bought some stuff last night to make strawberry shortcake so will have that too. Maybe I could pour the Baileys over the cake first! Or mix it in with the strawberries! Hmmm..... :lol:

Hrm. Sounds good. Might just whip that one up for a personal valentine treat.

I think, though, I'll just skip the cake and the strawberries, and just go with the Baileys straight up. Saves on time. Fewer calories, too, for the calorie conscious. :roll: :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am

Anne, don't forget the whipped cream!

I always use angel food cake, so a little healthier.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to General Talk