Thanks!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Thanks!

Postby glindsley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I want to sincerely thank everyone that responded to my longer intro and my questions! And, especially for your kind words about losing my grandson. I hope none of you are able to completely relate, based on your your own loss. :( I do believe his kind, adventurous spirit is pushing me toward my first RV purchase & experience!!

It was very helpful and encouraging to hear everyone's comments & answers to my questions. It sounds like taking major, 4-lane thoroughfares through mountain areas will be least scary. I did read to use low gears and drive slowly, rather than holding down on the break. I will definitely begin by driving small Indiana hills and then progress to my son's home in Vermont, for experience in the Appalachian Mountains, before heading west!! someone said there is a way to get west from the Midwest without crossing extreme mountain routes. I'll definitely investigate that! At lease in the beginning.

I want to qualify myself to say that I am actually very comfortable using the computer, HOWEVER for some reason, I cannot figure out how to reply to people that sent comments to my questions; or how to comment generally on other's posts. Any guidance will be appreciated!

I am so glad to find this forum and feel sure it will help me as I move forward on this new adventure!

Thanks again,
Gaye
glindsley

Re: Thanks!

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Immediately below the last post is a rectangle on the left that says "Postreply" most of us generally respond this way because like sitting around a campfire or coffee table the comments are interesting to most everyone. Sometimes you might want to respond in a more personal way, ask a more personal question or share things like phone numbers and addresses, etc. then we go to the PM button on the right just below the Avatar picture on the right. Another important issue to know is that when someone PMs you might not notice it unless you get in the habit of checking the second line above under the title banner. First line reads Board Index. The second line starts with User Control. You have received a PM or PMs from someone if you see a number in the parenthesis, for example: (1 new messages). Hope this helps.

Some of us really don't get to many PMs so it is a good habit to get into or you end up finding the one you did get a week or two later.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm

And I'll confuse you more... I'm moving this post and responses to the general room. If you have trouble, ask. We'll help.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby glindsley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks, I think I have it down!! :)
glindsley

Postby Colliemom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

When you find your dream RV, drive it up to MI. I’ll be glad to meet you at a campground someplace. I’ve been out west and have driven mountains. The others who live out there are great for advice on how to handle them and where to go. I pull a 21ft. Travel trsiler, so have my truck free for adventuring.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Cudedog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am

glindsley wrote:It was very helpful and encouraging to hear everyone's comments & answers to my questions. It sounds like taking major, 4-lane thoroughfares through mountain areas will be least scary. I did read to use low gears and drive slowly, rather than holding down on the break. Gaye

I am a YouTube addict, and one of the "fun" :roll: things (of many!) that I like to watch on YouTube are people just. . . er. . . driving. These videos can run from a few minutes to over a half hour, sometimes more.

Most of the major routes out west are covered (I mostly watch the western ones because I live in California); I'm sure eastern routes are probably on there too. It seems that there are actually people who drive down the interstate with a dash cam, and post the video on YouTube, just for fun. There are a great many of these kinds of videos on YouTube.

I guess that I am easily entertained :roll: , however this is a good way to get an initial idea of the route one might be driving.

Here is one (of many!) videos of the [in]famous "Grapevine" in California (Interstate 5). This one is long - nearly an hour. This is probably "real time", as it takes an hour (about) to drive over the Grapevine. There are shorter ones of the Grapevine on YouTube as well (the condensed versions!). Search "Grapevine California Highway".

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GvNPZ7MAA8

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Return to General Talk