Question on deep-cycle battery charging

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Question on deep-cycle battery charging

Postby Cudedog » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 am

Good morning, Ladies! :D

I am still puttering away on the solar install for my van. I purchased a 200-watt folding panel array from China (purchased via Amazon) that weighs a hefty nine pounds (!). Heh. Have used them to charge my batteries, and they seem to work well. Easy to take out/take down and put away inside my van. Also purchased three new Interstate 75-watt AGM deep cycle batteries to go with them.

It says on the battery that the "float charge" is from 13.5 - 13.8 volts (these are 12 volt batteries).

I have never put a load on them (have not hooked them up to anything that would pull out "juice" - still working on that part) but I do keep them charged.

Although I don't charge them every day - maybe a couple of times per week - when starting at 12.8 I can get them charged up to 13.2 before I run out of sun (need switch to an mppt charge controller, what I have is an inefficient pwm controller).

My question is this: after charging the battery up to 13.2, if I go out the next day and check it again with my digital multimeter, the charge has drifted back down to 12.8. Does this indicate a defective battery? All three batteries do this.

All replies appreciated!

Thanks. :D

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Question on deep-cycle battery charging

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:56 am

Float charge will show higher... A full charge is actually about 12.6 - 12.9. So that's fine.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk