Popular Pies

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Popular Pies

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 pm

A lady in the park here makes and sells pies at the two craft/bakery sales. Tomorrow is the 2nd of the season. The communal kitchen is across from where I work in the mailroom. She was using it the other day to prep about a dozen crusts. Today she's been filling (several different fruits) and being... I don't know how she'll have any for tomorrow as she's already sold at least 21 complete pies. She's sent her husband to the store at least once, maybe twice. I'm hoping she has an apple pie at the sale tomorrow... where she will sell by the slice or 1/2 pie! Best... she uses a sugar substitute so I wouldn't be killing my sugar intake!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Popular Pies

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I love all berry pies plus rububarb, lemon meringue. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Apple pie for lunch, arm, with a little cheddar melted over it. mmmmmmm :D
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 pm

havingfunnow wrote:Apple pie for lunch, arm, with a little cheddar melted over it. mmmmmmm :D

She quit counting how many she made and sold, but I'd say she'd sold over 30 by the time I got off work and was still making more to hopefully have some for tomorrow's bake sale. And as I left a gentleman was buying an apple pie and taking it home to melt cheese over it. :) I think that's a Midwestern thing.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:09 pm

I think that's a Midwestern thing.

I have never heard of that. I think I would still prefer ice cream.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 pm

I prefer it plain or with ice cream, too.
Beth
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Ummm, lemon....
Diana
mtngal

Postby snowball » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:18 pm

have heard of cheese on apple pie but not melted...not eaten it doesn't sound right
ice cream of course
why don't you ask her to make you a half apple
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Sheila, she sells whole, half or by the slice tomorrow... If there are any left to sell :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby Irmi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Today I made a chocolate mint cream pie. I used a graham cracker crust. I bought a box of Instant Chocolate Pudding and mixed in about a 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract and maybe a cup of Cool Whip. After that set up, I poured it into the pie crust and let that rest for maybe a half hour or more and topped it with the rest of the Cool Whip. It was yummy. We also have an apple pie that a friend dropped off.
Irmi

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Irmi, that sounds really good! I may have to make one of those!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Irmi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Barbie, I had to go out to look for the peppermint extract. But I have made that pie many times without it and it was wonderful. The mint extract almost made it taste like a peppermint patty.

I also used vanilla pudding and mixed in the Cool Whip. If you like Banana Cream Pie, I slice two bananas, and put the sliced bananas around the inside of the graham cracker crust. Then I layer half of the vanilla pudding in the crust, take the 2nd sliced banana and layer that over the pudding and add the second half of the pudding mixture. Then add the rest of the Cool Whip. That is also scrumptious!
Irmi

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Oh, Irmi, I might just have to make that chocolate mint pie one day. Yum!
Beth
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:05 am

Irmi, that one sounds really good too!

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby dpf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 am

I love sour cream raisin pie, but no one else in the family does. I hate to make one because I have to eat all by myself and I certainly don't need it. The former owner of the restaurant used to make them and she would call and tell me so I could go buy a piece to bring home.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Next

Return to General Talk