password question...

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

password question...

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

I bought a new Windows laptop awhile back and set it up to use with my new printer since I have had a Chromebook which is not very printer friendly. However, I put the new laptop away before I moved and have still been using the Chromebook. Now I want to switch over to the new laptop but I can't remember my password. I have tried everything I can think of that I usually use but nothing is working. I have several important things I need to print right away (I know I can go to the library, but I need a more long-term fix). If I bring it to a computer fix-it place, can they get into it for me or figure out what it is? I hate to not be able to use it and have to buy yet another one just because I can't remember the darn password!!! :evil: Help!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: password question...

Postby cnq50b » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I did a little googling about this. It doesn't sound good. Depends on what version of Windows you have. You might call a pc repair place - use Yelp to find a good one in your area. At least they should be able to tell you over the phone if it's possible or not.
Sorry I'm not much more help.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby chalet05 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Google 'forgot password for Windows laptop'. There were steps for starting in a different mode and changing password.
Anita
chalet05

Postby avalen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm

That happened to me once, I somehow got in like Anita said (can't remember) but I did go in and set up myself a second "me" user.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 am

I tried some more passwords and finally found the right one, but now am having problems with the laptop. Can't get cursor to move the page up or down. Have to use the arrows on the keyboard. Also can't get the printer to work with it. I had it working before I moved but now it doesn't recognize the printer. Tried to reconnect with it but not working. Of course, I am out of black ink too. Very frustrating! I will have to make a trip to the library tomorrow to get a couple of things printed that I need right away and figure out the rest later.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm

I assume you are using the keypad with your fingers, right? It may not be working or may be turned off.

Do you have a mouse you can plug into it and see if that allows you to do things? Try that.

If not, can you open the control panel? (My instructions following may be slightly different for Windows 10, which I am guessing you have, but you should still be able to find the mouse setting here.) If so, open it and click on "Mouse" under "Devices and Printer." Yes, I know you may not have a mouse attached, but the first screen on the Mouse function should be "Touchpad." At the bottom there should be something to click to change touchpad settings. Click on that. Does it show the touchpad as being off or on? If it if off or the sensitivity is set very low, turn it on and set things to the middle.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to General Talk