PBS show We'll Meet Again

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

PBS show We'll Meet Again

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Oh my gosh! I just watched a show called "We'll Meet Again" on PBS. What a wonderful program... tears are flowing. The history and reunions of the people followed on this episode were gut wrenching and unbelievable.

I'll look for other episodes!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: PBS show We'll Meet Again

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm

I missed this show but have been watching Victoria on PBS. If you get a chance watch that. The costumes are beautiful.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Bethers wrote:Oh my gosh! I just watched a show called "We'll Meet Again" on PBS. What a wonderful program... tears are flowing. The history and reunions of the people followed on this episode were gut wrenching and unbelievable.

I'll look for other episodes!

Tuesday's episode on PBS is about people rescued from the Mt. St. Helen's eruption, and those who risked their lives - while the eruption was still ongoing - to rescue them.

You can probably also watch it on your computer (maybe past episodes too, if you missed them) if you don't have a tv, or good tv reception:

http://www.pbs.org/video/rescued-mount-st-helens-official-trailer-r58yzy/

It sounds like there will be at least some mention of one of my all-time personal heroes, USGS (United States Geological Survey) volcanologist Dr. David Johnston. At least his image appears in the "preview" clip of Tuesday's show (link above - he is the young, handsome, bearded blond man whose face appears briefly onscreen).

Although not himself a rescuer (nor, unfortunately, among the rescued), hopefully there will be at least a brief bio of him presented on the show. His continued, and persistent, warnings about the dangers that the volcano posed (which were generally discounted by his superiors - he was considered the "new kid on the block") are generally acknowleged to have saved many hundreds of lives.

One of the women in the clip is heard saying, ". . . he knew how explosive this mountain was. I would just like to thank him." I assume she was speaking of Dr. Johnston.

Really excited to watch it.

Acadianmom wrote:I missed this show but have been watching Victoria on PBS. If you get a chance watch that. The costumes are beautiful. Martha

As for "Victoria". . . hrm. Well, as a "member" of my local PBS station, I was able to binge-watch the entire second season, via my Roku box, on two consecutive nights. Really enjoyed it, although my butt was pretty numb by the end. :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:25 pm

Ann Curry was just now on the Rachael Ray show talking about the Mt St Helens episode. Will have to check it out.
As for Victoria. I’ve recorded the first season and now the second. Her and Prince Albert was quite a love store. The show follows her journals, so quite accurate.
I also record Poldark. Fiction, but oh my!

Tuesday's episode on PBS is about people rescued from the Mt. St. Helen's eruption, and those who risked their lives - while the eruption was still ongoing - to rescue them.

You can probably also watch it on your computer (maybe past episodes too, if you missed them) if you don't have a tv, or good tv reception:

[url]http://www.pbs.org/video/rescued-mount-st-helens-official-trailer-r58yzy/[/url

Acadianmom wrote:I missed this show but have been watching Victoria on PBS. If you get a chance watch that. The costumes are beautiful. Martha

As for "Victoria". . . hrm. Well, as a "member" of my local PBS station, I was able to binge-watch the entire second season, via my Roku box, on two consecutive nights. Really enjoyed it, although my butt was pretty numb by the end. :lol:

Anne[/quote]
AlmostThere

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Watched the "We'll Meet Again" show on Mt. St. Helens. Although I wept, especially during the part about David Johnston, the entire thing was pretty ho-hum.

Maybe I just expected too much.

There were a couple of scenes where the woman who was searching for Dr. Johnston's family - so that she could "thank him for saving my life" (which, in fact, he did) - was presented as though the woman herself was somehow, all alone, searching privately - without the assistance of the PBS show.

Yeah, right.

Cue the suspense music. Gasp!! Would she be able to find the family? Or not? Stay tuned!!

Big "surprises" about where his family was from (so she would know where to look), and the fact his parents are now deceased, were "revealed" as the show went on. Cue the violins. It was totally hokey. There are volumes of information concerning Dr. Johnston on the web, and multiple web sites. All of the information contained in these so-called "revelations" during the show is there at the touch of a keystroke, for anyone who cares to look.

I have had a personal, and ongoing, interest in Dr. Johnston for the better part of my life. I have known these so-called "revelations" for years - as they are also known by anyone else with an interest that has a computer and an internet connection.

Oh well. There were some still images of Dr. Johnston, and a couple of short video clips of him, that I had never seen before. That mostly made it worth watching.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Cougarfan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 am

This is a great show. Thank you Beth for telling us about it. I probably wouldn't have found it.

In 1981 I was sitting a little over 100 miles away from Mt. St. Helens (still am actually). I remember it like it was yesterday. My Grandparents in Ferndale WA felt the earthquake that morning and called us so we turned on the news. I remember the ash falling on our cars and everything else here. My other grandparents lived in Richland WA at the time. They got it much worse. Day turned into night there and there was so much ash they couldn't go outside. I have two pictures that I will never get rid of. One is the seismograph of the eruption and the other is one is a photo of the mountain in full eruption. Both are poster size.

I found the episode tonight very interesting. I know that most of the information on Dr. Johnston was probably available online but the story about the search for the helicopter pilot was neat. I won't give it all away in case others haven't watched it yet. I guess because mountain erupted so close to me, I enjoyed the episode. I really like the show and will continue to watch it. I am not a student of volcanoes but this story is close to home for those of us that lived here at the time.

Is it over the top? Yeah, probably. But, I understand that they have to make it somewhat dramatic. I like Ann Curry too. She went to high school in Ashland, OR, college in Eugene, OR and I remember her working at one of our local tv stations back in the day.

Laura
Cougarfan

Return to General Talk