Recommended apps?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Recommended apps?

Postby OTW » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi all,

I finally got a smartphone (yay!!). I remember that there are some good RV related apps but can't find my notes on what they were. Could anyone share apps that they find particularly helpful? I remember Judy mentioning Google Earth which is different than what I get on my computer and I did get that. I'm thinking of ones that recommend or talk about campgrounds or anything else people find useful. Thanks in advance!
OTW

Re: Recommended apps?

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:12 pm

I like Allstays for campground info
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby RitaMc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:08 pm

You can get apps from each states Department of Transportation. You get good road information. We use it now crossing the great plains especially if a storm has passed through and roads might be slippery or closed.
1969 Shasta Loyfyte / Jeep Grand Cherokee
Breezie on the road again
[Image
RitaMc

Postby chalet05 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Storm Shield will send alerts for exactly where you are

I also have AccuWeather and MyRadar

WAZE can be helpful with reports of cars on the shoulder, police, road debris, construction - these are reports given by other users. As far as the driving directions, that started out okay but will now give crazy routes.

GasBuddy for fuel prices
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:30 pm

I love Oh Ranger!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am

bluepinecones wrote:I like Allstays for campground info

I'll second that. I have found campgrounds on Allstays that I didn't know were there, and never would have looked for.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Redetotry » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 pm

I like the Kindle app for downloading Amazon books and Audiobooks for having books read to me and pod casts. Most Audiobooks are free unless you want to pay a one time fee so they don't say a little message between chapters. I like to be read to if I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep. You can also set it to download on wi fi only. You will love the phone!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby OTW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 am

Thank you very much, all!

I downloaded Oh Ranger and Gas Buddy - will look at Storm Shield too. I find Intellicast to be particularly good for seeing what's coming but just the sound Storm Shield is pretty appealing. And last night I also got the Kindle app which is GREAT - means I don't have to bring my Kindle for short wait times or while scarfing up a fast food stop.

The one thing I haven't been able to find is Allstays. I'm on Android, not iphone, so is it also an Android app? If so, does it have something else it would be listed under? That was one of the ones that was on my list that I can't find and I've heard really great things about it.
OTW

Postby OTW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 am

PS --

I just checked again from my laptop and when I entered Allstays in the search box, it came back with "Allstays RV campgrounds app" so I got all excited, but when it showed apps, there was nothing for that. There's another one (RV Parks & Campgrounds) with 4.6 rating but OMG, its permissions are insane. I don't yet know what to expect from required permissions, but this just looks way too invasive.

Phone
•directly call phone numbers
•read phone status and identity

Photos/Media/Files
•read the contents of your USB storage
•modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage
•read the contents of your USB storage
•modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Camera
•take pictures and videos

Wi-Fi connection information
•view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information
•read phone status and identity

Other
•receive data from Internet
•view network connections
•full network access
•control vibration
•prevent device from sleeping
•read Google service configuration
OTW

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 am

I have both the Nook and Kindle (and a generic reading asp, too, called Cool Reader) on my phone. And use all of them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm

When I was still traveling I even found an app that was a level for when I was getting set up at a campground. Also used a flashlight app to get around the rig after dark. Go through your Playstore apps searching for RV apps.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby OTW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:45 pm

OMG, coincidence - I discovered magnifying/flashlight app as well as level apps this morning. Got them installed and have played with them. Super convenient! Okay, had not thought of putting in RV Apps. I will check out that search, thanks!
OTW

Return to General Talk