master bedroom reno

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

master bedroom reno

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 am

I started painting the walls in the master bedroom just where the baseboards were since that area never got painted and is still the original paneling color (light brown/white). The new baseboards will be shorter so they won't cover up the unpainted area. I should have bought white paint with a primer in it since I am having to do 3 coats to cover it. The walls are white up to the chair rail and then green painted over textured wallpaper. The wallpaper was in bad shape. On a whim, I decided to see how easy it would be to remove it. It came off in full sheets with just a yank! So it all came down in a matter of minutes! Now I need to paint over the paneling. I will get a primer for that. I am thinking of painting it yellow on the upper half to brighten it up in there. It is a pretty dark room so that would help. The master bath is already yellow and white. Here are some pics I took so far...

Here it is with the green wallpaper...

pulling off the first sheet...

end result...

I cleaned up and painted the floor vents for the living room. They were pretty nasty! I couldn't just replace them since they are an odd size so this worked out good.

Also painted the outlets...
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: master bedroom reno

Postby JudyJB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 am

Yellow would really be pretty and brighten that room up. I once used primer and then paint over old paneling and it came out looking nice.

And you are really lucky that someone bought easily removable wallpaper! Could have been a horrible job taking it down.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby asirimarco » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:09 am

Going to look really nice. Have fun doing it , don''t turn all your renos into a JOB!
asirimarco

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 am

Barbie, you may have to use a primer like Kilz on the paneling for the paint to adhere well. I learned this the hard way. You might be able to actually tint the primer the color you want. Talk to your Ace Hardware guy - be careful of asking at Home Depot as sometimes their clerks don't know squat. Or check Youtube, the vast source of knowledge. I like painted paneling for its character.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby snowball » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm

it will be really pretty when all accomplished
keep up with the pictures
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 am

Barbie, use a paint like Behr which has primer in it to paint. It is also low VOC so you will hardly even notice a paint smell. Those cheap paints are more water than paint and in the long run cost more in time, effort and paint. And yes, I would suggest Kilz on the paneling first.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 am

Colliemom wrote:Barbie, use a paint like Behr which has primer in it to paint. It is also low VOC so you will hardly even notice a paint smell. Those cheap paints are more water than paint and in the long run cost more in time, effort and paint. And yes, I would suggest Kilz on the paneling first.

I have also used Kilz paint some years back, with good result. Another benefit to Kilz is that it seems to be quite durable. I bought the Kilz paint at Walmart. I also agree that cheap paint is actually more expensive in the long run!! Been there, done that!

I also like painted paneling. I have some in my living room, and it looks just fine. :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby cnq50b » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm so impressed! You sure are jumping in there & getting it done!
It's going to look great!
I'm inspired by you.
Keep posting pics so we can follow along the journey.
Hope to see it in person at some point.
Catherine
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Return to General Talk