The California drought is getting worse. . .

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

The California drought is getting worse. . .

Postby Cudedog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:03 am

It has been a very dry autumn here in Northern California, with little to no measurable rain here in the northern part of the state since well before Thanksgiving. We should already be halfway through our rainy season here (it generally only rains in California from November to March; the remainder of the months of the year are generally hot and dry).

No media coverage on this at all.

"Hairline cracks" have been discovered in the newly poured concrete in the newly replaced/repaired part of the spillway at Oroville dam (the spillway that failed last February). The information given is that hairline cracks in newly poured concrete are "normal, nothing to worry about". Nobody is mentioning how cavitation (whereby moving water can further excavate cracks). I wonder how often hairline cracks are discovered in the newly poured concrete of things like sidewalks, swimming pools, patios, slabs and home foundations. Not too often I'll wager. Actually, I have never heard of hairline cracks in new construction, that would not be written up by the county inspector.

But, hey, no worries!

The water level in Oroville dam is lower than it has been for years, and will not be getting any higher without appreciable rain. Meaning that the water level is a hundred feet or more below the spillway, and will not spill over the spillway if or until the water level comes up. A lot.

In the meantime, I am looking to perhaps make a move to Southern Oregon (Klamath Falls is on my current "maybe" list). Oroville dam is on the Feather River, and any problems with either the dam or the spillway will release water (maybe a LOT of water) into the Feather River. My house sits behind the levee about one-half mile from the Feather River.

No Climate Change here, though. :? Nope.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: The California drought is getting worse. . .

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes, I hear your frustration, Annie. But, our wonderful "train to no where" is going right along! And, more illegals kill our tax paying citizens. But our governor says we must not deport the illegals.

If I didn't have kids and grand kids here, I would move in an instant. When we began giving free health care to all the illegals, I may yet move!

lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby MandysMom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:22 pm

KCRA and CBS 13 in Sacramento have done frequent reports on the rainfall and snow issues, so yes it's had media coverage. As to concrete, the only two things all concrete are guaranteed to do are: get hard and crack. I would love to leave CA too but as long as Mel needs ongoing treatment, that isn't happening. We have had some very wet January onward years, let's hope this is one of those!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Rufflesgurl » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Good morning all!

Do you think the folks on the other coast are wishing they were in CA sunshine right now? Oh well, at least they do not have to contend with
sanctuary state conditions - what a way to ruin our beautiful California!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I was just thinking about the drought situation this morning. No rain here in December. Hopefully will get some in January!

I still love California tho! Saw the most unbelievable sunset yesterday along the ocean! The weather is awesome. When I think about what it is like back in MN right now, I am very grateful to be here. :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Yes, you definitely need to get moving with your move! That dam is probably safe for next year, but who knows about the one after that. And maybe your taxes will be less, as well. Oregon is a nice place to live, so hope you can find what you want in that area.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Colliemom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I agree with Judy, Annie. If you really want to move, now is time to get that place on the market while all is quiet at the dam and on the river. Prospective buyers mauy not even think if those implications.

I know none of us here in northern MI are wishing for CA sunshine. We will deal with our winters as they are really only rough for about 3 months in the whole year, the rest is just poor sledding :lol: But we say that we have about a perfect a place to be as anywhere. No floods other than high water on rivers due to excessive rain once in awhile, no big wildfires, just little ones If they do iccur, mostly in early spring, no tornadoes other than an occasional EF0 or 1, which usually mows down trees, but rarely structures, when one does occur, no hurricanes, no earthquakes other than a rare baby one. And surrounded by some beautiful scenery to boot. Lakes, rivers and woods to play and explore in right out your door or as they say, a mile away. Beautiful summers with nice temps. Nope, sotrry, we will take good ol’ MI anytime :)
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Cudedog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm

MandysMom wrote:KCRA and CBS 13 in Sacramento have done frequent reports on the rainfall and snow issues, so yes it's had media coverage.

I don't have cable tv, or over-the-air television, so I don't get KCRA or CBS 13. Most of my tv watching comes from the networks, via my Roku box. Network nightly news does come via the Roku (no strictly "local" news, though), and although there has been a lot about the California fires, I don't recall seeing a network news segment about the drought. I might have missed it, though.

JudyJB wrote:Yes, you definitely need to get moving with your move! That dam is probably safe for next year, but who knows about the one after that. And maybe your taxes will be less, as well. Oregon is a nice place to live, so hope you can find what you want in that area.

I hope so too. The tax structure as applies to real property in Oregon is very different (and a lot more favorable and affordable for someone like me) than the real property tax structure in California. I am pretty aware of how property taxes are applied in California, having worked for a local county assessor's office for many years before I retired.

I agree with you on the dam situation, and also on getting moving with my move. :lol: I am doing a lot of "looking" (Zillow, Realtor.com) but can't do much more than that until my California property sells.

Colliemom wrote:I agree with Judy, Annie. If you really want to move, now is time to get that place on the market while all is quiet at the dam and on the river. Prospective buyers mauy not even think if those implications.

I agree with you both! My property has been listed for sale since early October, lotta lookers but no takers. The home I have for sale is located in a rural area, pretty much away from the hot California real estate market that everyone hears about. So it's gonna take a while.

Unfortunately, under California law, things like being downstream from a dam (and a spillway with hairline cracks and a known previous failure) is required by law to be disclosed to any buyer. So whether or not a potential buyer might think about it, I would be required to disclose it.

On the other hand, I can also tell them how wonderful the hairline-cracked, partially-repaired/replaced part of the spillway is, and they can make up their own minds about the still-awaiting-repair upper portion of the spillway (even more demolition/replacement/repair of the upper part of the spillway is scheduled for summer of 2018 - just the lower portion was repaired this year, 2017) and that government officials are telling everyone not to be concerned - at the same time they are also telling everyone to "be aware and be prepared". :roll:

Ah, well. Life goes on! :lol: :roll:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Return to General Talk