Places to visit

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Places to visit

Postby Othersharon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 am

I thought this was a good place to throw this out for some information. My niece and her husband are driving down to FL the end of this month. He has to be in the Orlando area for a show he’s working with but they want to take a few days to explore. They like the out of the way places plus they are bringing their scuba gear too. They’ve finally decided to go mostly the Gulf side so if any of you could suggest any places for them to visit I’d appreciate your input. Liz, they apparently want to do some kayaking too. Plus she mentioned the manatees. I’m much more familiar with the panhandle area so I can’t offer them much help. Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.
Othersharon

Re: Places to visit

Postby Liz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Crystal River and/ or Homosassa for Manatees. Lots of kayaking choices all over Florida, including with the manatees. Silver River is always a good choice, and Suwannee River is my new go to. Cedar Key is a quaint seaside town with great seafood, boat rides and kayaking opportunities.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby JudyJB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:22 pm

If they go south along the Gulf coast, there is Myakka State Park for seeing birds and alligators, but NO kayaking because of so many alligators. There is an airboat (very slow one) ride and a canopy walkway. The bridge over the river is a great place to see birds. Myakka is east of Sarasota, which has a very nice beach.

SIlver River used to be Silver Springs and is now a state park. Great for kayaking--a few alligators, but not a bother, so I agree with Liz about it being a great place.

ALso, north of Tampa is Tarpon Springs. It is an interesting little town that used to be the home of a lot of Greek sponge divers. It is touristy, but off the beaten path. Great Greek restaurants and shops selling baklava. Lots of very fresh seafood!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Othersharon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Much thanks Liz and Judy. I sent the info to my niece so this should give them a start. Appreciate your input!
Othersharon

Postby grammynmaggie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am

Crystal River Florida 1.9 miles from my house is Three Sisters Springs lots of manatees there check my Facebook page there's pictures
grammynmaggie

Return to General Talk