Echo Dot

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Echo Dot

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:28 am

OK, so I can get a free Echo Dot for signing up with Dish Network. What the heck is an Echo Dot?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Echo Dot

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am

From Google: "Echo Dot is a hands-free, voice-controlled device with a small built-in speaker—it can also connect to your speakers or headphones over Bluetooth or through a 3.5 mm audio cable to deliver stereo sound to the speakers you choose. Dot connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more—instantly."
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 am

Barbie, don't sign up for cable just yet!

Since you now have a secure home base (and, hopefully, a good broadband connection) I would urge you to check out the Roku box, which will give you FREE, legal, television programming.

https://www.roku.com/index

There are literally hundreds of "channels" available, covering all interests. I especially like YouTube these days, as YouTube has full-length documentaries covering everything from volcanic eruptions, full-length ballets, to pet care to what-have-you. Programming on YouTube is mostly commercial free (aside from a 4-second commercial at the beginning of some shows).

A Roku box costs around $50. That's it. Pay the $50 and you are done. It is dead easy to set up - basically just plug-and-play.

All programming via Roku is streamed over the internet, and it is mostly all FREE (one can "subscribe" to individual channels - like the networks - $alacarte$ - if one so wishes). NO monthly subscriptions.

I have used Roku exclusively for my television viewing for the last seven years. Figuring my basic cable bill was - at that time - $70/mo (watch out that you will be lured into cable with a $39/mo or so subscription that goes up to regular rates after a year, and locks you in for two years).

Doing the math here, I have saved almost six thousand dollars ($5,800) over the last seven years by NOT having cable.

Everyone should check out Roku before signing up for a two-year cable contract.

Any questions, please ask. No, I do not sell Roku. . . but I LOVE it!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Anne... As long as we keep Net Neutrality.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Anne,
Do you need internet in your home for that roku? All I have is cell data, although unlimited , when I looked at the roku I understood I needed to pay for internet.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cudedog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Bethers wrote:Anne... As long as we keep Net Neutrality.

Good point, Beth.

The very same can be said for WomenRV itself. WomenRV will be available so long as we keep net neutrality.

I am aware that you do not wish the Forum sisters to rage on about politics. Thus I will (mostly) refrain. However, politics are intricately involved in net neutrality, and/or the lack thereof. Everyone should research this topic, and contact their Congressperson to express their opinion (whatever it might be!) on this MOST important topic.

NOW would be a good time. A vote is coming up in Congress very soon, perhaps in the next few days.

I am stopping now. ;)

avalen wrote:Anne,
Do you need internet in your home for that roku? All I have is cell data, although unlimited , when I looked at the roku I understood I needed to pay for internet.

You do need a stable broadband connection. Programming streams over this connection. It is not only the amount of data available (you said that you have unlimited) but the download speed of that data.

I am not aware that a cell phone will work with Roku. Sorry. :(

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Sorry, hope it goes! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby snowball » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 pm

right now I am searching for the name of it as another means of having tv but it would also be older seasons. but I also think you would need internet not just on the phone...so perhaps that would be a step...and if you choose satellite being in a house I would go with one that has internet with it...direct does don't know about dish
sheila
when I remember that company that my son in law works for I will do an edit might have to text the daughter :roll:
snowball

Return to General Talk