Not so good mammo

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Not so good mammo

Postby avalen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Been stewin on this news for awhile now and guess
I better get it out, if nothing more than to just vent.
My mammogram didn't turn out so good and they
want me to come back for more pictures on the right.
At first I didn't feel worried and thought no big deal, but
then my mind wandered to the denial side and now I think
I better get this off my mind . Most likely just density and
the pictures weren't clear. I don't know, never thought
density would be an issue when I barely have a handful!!
Lol, really, I've been boobless all my life so now it's a problem?
I have a million things going through my head right now.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: Not so good mammo

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Get it done ASAP. 9 times out of 10 it just was a bad picture and you can be relieved. But if it's anything else, time really is of the essence. Luckily for me, when that happened it was nothing... But they demanded I come back within 24 hours and they had me wait while the results were read.

Sorry you are going through this. But get the answers asap and then be happy or scared... But right now it's just darn scary, I know.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Go get it done Alice!! A couple times I’ve been called back and each time everything was OK. Don’t take any chances.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Yes, what Beth said. Keep breathing and don't borrow worry....what ever you find out you will need all the energy you have to either celebrate the good news or plan an attack plan to deal with whatever they might find.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh ya, the appt is made , I'm not putting it off. I was hoping somebody would say, oh ya, density, happens all time! I did do some research on the Susan G Koman website and it says density
happens with age and hrt. With that in mind, I expecting the Dr to
tell me to quit with the hormone. We will see.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 pm

After years and years of normal mammograms, I had a "bad" one last year in September. Not only did they repeat the mammogram, but then told me I had a lump, and they needed to do a needle biopsy!!! The doctor was pretty certain that it was cancer and would need to be removed.

I was just getting ready to head to Florida and had invited a friend from NY city to meet me there. She had already bought her airline ticket, so I was really frantic. Had only a little over a week after the needle biopsy before I had to leave. Biopsy was not too bad, but they took 4 whole days to give me the results. I was literally pacing in what space I had in my motorhome waiting for them to call me with the results. I had determined that I would get the lumpectomy done and then just head to Florida the next day and let someone else take out the stitches.

Anyway, the short story is that the "lump" was just "inflammation." Had mammogram repeated last April and it was clean.

So, take a deep breath. The chance of it really being something serious is very small, but you will feel a lot better the sooner you get it checked out.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby SoCalGalcas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Hay Alice, I had to drive all the Way back from Oregon, to Healdsburg once to. Get biopsy. Found nothing. Wishing you all the best results, and, thanks for telling us. We’er There rout’in for you! Or, root’in? Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Alice it is very common actually to have to go back for a second mammogram. My friend just had to go back for a repeat...all is well. Sometimes films arent the best so a repeat is indicated. Dont worry too much my friend until you get the second one done. I have had 2 biopsies many years ago but was just a cyst. Now they have better equipment to evaluate these things and havent had to have anything else and no more repeat mammo's or biopsies. When is your follow up mammogram?
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Liz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Yes, raising my hand, I've had to have repeats a couple of times. Always nerve wracking, but in my case nothing. So glad you made the appt., and we've got your back with prayers no matter what.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm

I haven't been in this situation (yet ~ knock wood) but can understand the worry and trepidation. Take a deep breath and listen to the sistahs that have been thru repeat mammos. Deep breath. One day at a time.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Rufflesgurl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Ava - You have done the right thing to make your return appointment. I've had that happen about 3 times, one time even a biopsy and each time everything is OK. Positive thoughts - it's scary right now for you. Take care.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby dpf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Alice, I had to do a repeat several years ago. It was scary since both my mom and sister had had breast cancer. Glad you have your appointment made. Try to stay calm. I know that is hard to do. Thinking of you and praying that it's just a bad mammogram.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Many years ago I found a lump on my breast and they were able to just drain it with a syringe since it was a cyst. However, years later I had to go in for a second mammogram. It is very scary waiting for the results. I would think that any doctor with an ounce of compassion and understanding would contact the patient immediately after getting the results back. Mine also turned out to be a false reading. My breasts are also very dense and they have a hard time reading the results.

So just take a deep breath and think positive! You got this! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cougarfan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:41 pm

I just got called back for a 2nd mammogram in September. This was the first time that it happened to me. They told me that I would get the results right after the test so wouldn't have to wait. They also made a preliminary appointment for an ultrasound that would happen right after my mammogram if necessary. They also told me that I could bring someone with me. I made a decision that I wasn't going to worry until there was something to worry about. I was getting ready to go on a 2 week camping trip so I focused on that and didn't allow my mind to wander to other things. I think the only thing that crossed my mind was a thought that if I did lose my hair, would it come back in curly? But that's me. I wasn't minimizing what was going on, just trying to keep it in perspective. There was absolutely nothing I could do about it until I had the 2nd test.

I went in, had the second mammogram, went back to the dressing room and waited. About 10 minutes later, the tech came in and said everything was fine and I didn't need the ultrasound and I was good for another year. They just needed a better picture.

It doesn't always mean that they've found something when they call you back. It just means that they need a second look. When I went, they just did the left and took pictures at a different angle than before. Might have seen a shadow or something didn't look right so they just wanted to get a different view.

If you haven't scheduled the 2nd test, do so quickly so you don't have to stress about it any more :)

As always, we will all be thinking good thoughts for you.

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby Carolinagal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 am

Really hate reading this, it's a scary unsettling thing so many of us have to deal with. Been through it twice and as I've had cancer twice plus skin cancers too, I just knew "here we go again". But as you age think those puppies get denser each year and that is reason for call back, my thinking anyway.

Glad you told us, maybe you will feel a bit better knowing you definitely are NOT alone in this. We're all here with you, we know just all that's going on in your mind. It'll all be ok, try not to worry. Take Maggie and a picnic and run off in your RV to someplace restful and where you go for a nice walk, or just take a nice nap after falling asleep reading. My remedies for bad times I had to deal with, you'd be surprised how much it helps !! At home everything bad is magnified off in your camper there's a big difference in your mindset. I lived in a lovely area for these excursions, I'm missing it so much already. I have to keep thinking of the shape so much of it was getting in and all the work I really can't do anymore and to find reliable help is impossible. Anyway, hopefully running away as I used to tell my Maggie we were going to do was so helpful for me ! Maybe it would bring some peace to your worried mind too.

When is your appt ? Be sure and keep us uptodate. You haven't been posting much and when you do, not light and airy or giving off good feelings as I always had when reading your daily doings, now I know why.

Take care, you're in my prayers always,
CArol
Carolinagal

Next

Return to General Talk