Replacement for Paper Checkbook

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Replacement for Paper Checkbook

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 pm

I very seldom write checks, but I have been using my old checkbook register and getting tired of entering everything into it. I am thinking of another solution, but I really know nothing about what is available and what works.

Is anyone using software that dumps stuff from your bank account into a checkbook? I really do not want to use a cloud version--want to keep everything on my laptop.

And if you are using something else, how do you balance it? Does it save time? Do you enter stuff as you spend money using your debit card?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Replacement for Paper Checkbook

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Quicken Money. Been using it for years.
Downloads everything directly from my banks and financial group.
AlmostThere

Postby elkriverrats » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I use Quickbooks (business version of Quicken). I think the best feature is categories for taxes - makes it a snap to see what you spent in total during the year. You can enter your transactions or download them from the bank. It can also do your credit cards. loans, etc.
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 am

I too use a version of Quicken but am enough of a GHL that I never even tried to set it up to connect with my banking directly. It is enough that I can record past and current expenses and project coming monthly expenses which helps me evaluate how I am doing over all with my budget. I love that it can track expenses for me by classification, etc. I have to monthly reconcile my Quicken records to my banking records monthly just as I used to with a paper check record only now I have the advantage of easily adding that one ATM cash withdrawal I forgot, or the odd check....

And I generally project expected expenses several months ahead so it is a way to consider what new expenses a particular month can stand without transferring additional funds in from savings before the end of the month....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am

I use an old version of Quicken also and like Tina I have not linked it to on line banking. Know thousands do that with no problems but I'm just not comfortable doing it given how much hacking goes on and my network is not secure.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby MelissaD » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 am

I use Quicken but it's not linked to any auto balance or update with any of may accounts. My dad's Quicken is linked to his accounts (banking and investments) to auto update.

I like that I can set it up to look out 45 days in advance. Keeps me out of trouble :roll:
MelissaD

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 am

I think about getting an accounting program every year when I have to start thinking about taxes. I had a program that even printed checks until Hurricane Rita flooded our house. I am still of the horse and buggy mentality when it comes to banking. With all the stuff that goes on today I would not have my information on a computer that was linked to the internet. I don't even have a debit card or ATM card. I just froze all my credit. I was trying to get my free credit reports and they were asking questions about mortgages and auto loans. I have had neither for 40 years. I had to apply to get the reports by mail. I'm interested to see what is on them.

I am in a constant fight with companies that want to do paperless billing and have me pay online. One of our phone bills is the only thing that is drafted out of the bank. I have had to close bank accounts because of bills that were drafted and I couldn't get them stopped. Even if you tell the bank they will keep paying them. Every month it was a fight to get the money back. The companies keep drafting and the bank keeps paying.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 am

I am an old horse & buggy person with check book register & pen. I learned that way and like it. I go online to check the bank agrees with me once and awhile. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Any real checks written go in my checkbook register. Beyond that, I go online regularly and keep track that things are copacetic. I do most everything online.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk