Fires in Sonoma County

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Fires in Sonoma County

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:36 am

OMG! Judyjb, check in with us. I am starved for news here with my crappy TV stations. Did they have to evacuate the Santa Rosa Kaiser hospital? Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Re: Fires in Sonoma County

Postby monik7 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:46 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:OMG! Judyjb, check in with us. I am starved for news here with my crappy TV stations. Did they have to evacuate the Santa Rosa Kaiser hospital? Lyn

Yes they did evacuate the Kaiser hospital in Santa Rosa Lyn. Judy has left Napa so she’s apparently out of any danger. They also evacuated Sutter hospital. They’re now saying could be 1,500 structures destroyed.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Liz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Wow, so sad!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:17 pm

A friend of mine lives in a house surrounded by the fire. It happened too fast for their area to be evacuated. So scared for them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:09 pm

I did post some stuff in this morning's post, but here is some more. Napa has three big fires. One was a junkyard south of town that started yesterday afternoon, but the other two started in the middle of the night--one east and one west of town. The town is literally surrounded. More down the valley and around the area, but two are really close to town. I am a nervous wreck because my son and his family are only two miles from one of the biggest fires--the Atlas Fire. And there is little except brush and a ridge between them. He is also only 3 miles by the crow flies, from the Silverado Country Club, which burned down in the middle of the night, along with a bunch of houses and condos next to it. I was at the Napa EXPO campground in one of the sites that backs up to SIlverado Ave, and heard nonstop sirens of emergency vehicles going by from 10 pm to 3 am. Awake almost all night from noise and smell of smoke, even though I had all windows and vents closed.

The news shows keep focusing on the damage, but they have just started fighting the fires. No fighting fires at all until recently because they were focusing of evacuating people, some of which in the country club did not even have time to gather up belongings. About half of town has power but most traffic lights when I left at 8:30 am after picking up my glasses--had to bang on door of optometrist. (Excuse all my grammar and spelling.) No cell service because towers burned or maybe just power out, but son does have internet and cell texting. Schools are closed today and tomorrow and maybe all week. DILs middle school where she is principal is even closer to fire by half mile but they checked it today and it is OK. Grandson goes there with his mom.

They have been packing up car all afternoon and have crates out for three cats. Keeping cats inside also so they can find them--one likes to wander. Atlas fire is visible from their backyard. Good thing is that they have a big dirt construction site next to them and between them and fire. Will take break and post pictures below. Scary and weird yellow-orange sun.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Good news site is Mercury News at http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/e ... -strategy/

Son and family just let me know that they have voluntarily evacuated to sister's house in Walnut Creek.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Photo taken at 8:30 am:

Photo of weird sun:
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Construction site for new subdivision next to son's house taken this afternoon:

Construction site for new subdivision next to son's house taken this evening just before they evacuated:

You can see why I am so panicked! I don't know how I will sleep tonight. The concern is embers falling on their house, especially if another house burns in the neighborhood.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby snowball » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 pm

wow if one part of the country isn't drowning the other is burning up...I have a niece and nephew in one of the counties that is under volunteer evacuation....not sure where they are in the scheme of things...prayers for all
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:56 am

So heartbreaking! Judy, glad your son and his family are now safe. Prayers for their home and all the others that they are spared.

So far down near SD, there have just been a few small brush fires that have been quickly contained. One large fire today near Anaheim tho.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks to all who are posting about the fires. My daughter has many friends in Fountain Grove which has been destroyed. Beth, where does your friend live? Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't know exactly... I have always just considered them in Sonoma.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm

I overheard a couple talking in a restaurant today about where they should plan an event. They couldn't decide between Sacramento and Sonoma/Napa area. I was so tempted to ask them if they have watched the news lately...
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby monik7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:Thanks to all who are posting about the fires. My daughter has many friends in Fountain Grove which has been destroyed. Beth, where does your friend live? Lyn

Lyn, twice on the news tonight they showed an overhead view and also a time-lapse drive through Fountain Grove. I didn’t see one house standing. Everything was burned to the ground except fireplaces.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 pm

My friend is still in her house... We're all so mad at them. Yes, they have their bags packed, etc, but are waiting and hoping the fire gets contained. I haven't said much, because her children have...
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk