Inflatable Kayaks

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Inflatable Kayaks

Postby Azusateach » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 am

I’m trying to remember who’s owned a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak. If so, what did you think of it? I’m pondering purchasing an inflatable, but not before I talk with someone who’s owned one. Any information you all might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Azusateach

Re: Inflatable Kayaks

Postby JudyJB » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:29 am

I think Tina (Birdbybird) had one.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Irmi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:27 am

Laura, Steve & I also have a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak and we love it. We ordered it from Amazon and have kayaked dozens of times in FL, GA, NC & MD. We carry it in the truck of our car. It is light weight, easy to inflate and between the two of us, can have it inflated and ready to go in 15 minutes. Ours is the 12'6" kayak, which is the 2 man kayak.

As an edit, it is Tina's fault that we now own our Sea Eagle, as I test drove hers a couple winters ago. After realizing how much fun I was having, I knew immediately I wanted to have one, too. Thanks, Tina!
Last edited by Irmi on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irmi

Postby Liz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:30 am

Tina has had several different models of Sea Eagle. She'll chime in, I'm sure.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Laura found me on messenger so she has some information and I pointed her in the right direction to get more information. And for those interested, yes I love my Hornbeck (especially the new one I traded up to this summer) but I continue to enjoy and use my inflatables. They are much better for rivers with rocks because they bounce off rocks better than the Hornbecks :shock: and Ohio has several nice rocky rivers around that are fun to kayak with just enough gentle rapids to get the dogs occasionally splashed. The Sea Eagles also accommodate larger dogs better and my long legs and old hips that appreciate being repositioned from time to time. And when I come to gtg's I can offer two kayaks to share!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby elkriverrats » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm

I have only had my Sea Eagle (also got the tandem model) for a few weeks but I do like it! I got to try one at the Hillsborough GTG last winter. One thing I did not factor in was carrying it once inflated. There were two of us to carry it when I used it the first time and that works great since there are ropes on the front and back to make carrying it a breeze - nothing in between.
When I got mine I inflated it in the yard, then looked at the gate to the dock and thought hmmm how am I going to manage this? I lifted it by the side rail and tried to keep it centered so the front or back would not drag. I tried to attach a rope so I could carry it in the center but my line kept stretching so that did not work. Does anyone have the cart for the sea eagle? The one I found was pricey but if it works it would be worth it I think.
Thanks for any advice!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 am

I used a cart that was made for hauling dog show crates and equipment. I'm not sure the flat cart and the kayak would have made it through a narrow gate. :shock: But the cart does work for me. It also works for dog shows and moving heavy furniture into, out of or around a house. :) Best if you don't leave it at your son's house in NY state and forget to pick it up at the wedding a month later....just saying.
BirdbyBird

Postby elkriverrats » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Ha! I feel you, I forget more and more all the time :) I do have a garden cart... It would definitely work for put ins at home, it will fit through the gate.
Thanks for reminding me I have a cart here and paid for!!!! Not sure if that cart will work for travelling but at least now I have an idea to work with.
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

The art of repurposing works wonders in the world of RVing. Dual purpose is another quality I appreciate. :)
BirdbyBird

Postby Azusateach » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Well, I did it. Got a Sea Eagle Fast Track, and have taken it out twice in the last 3 days. While there's a definite learning curve involved, it was definitely easier the second time.

We're less than 15 minutes through town to the Dana Point Harbor, which seems to be quite the gathering place for paddlers of all sorts -- paddleboards, kayaks, and outriggers were what we saw this morning.

The weather couldn't have been better. Getting out early (on the water before 8:00) pretty much ensures no wind. And it's fun to paddle around the marina and look at all of the huge boats, and even the occasional sea lion.

Looking at the Ocean Institute at Dana Point

My friends getting ready to take off on their paddleboards

Enjoying the scenery

Working on my stroke

I'm glad I got this kayak. It'll provide many hours of fun close to home, and when we travel we'll be able to paddle the lakes and rivers you all talk about.
Azusateach

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 am

Nice paddling pictures. If you can please share how Alice likes her paddle board, too. It has always looked like fun and I know that it is suppose to be really good for your "core" strength but I keep reminding myself how much I like sitting down.... :)
BirdbyBird

Postby Azusateach » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 am

BirdbyBird wrote:Nice paddling pictures. If you can please share how Alice likes her paddle board, too. It has always looked like fun and I know that it is suppose to be really good for your "core" strength but I keep reminding myself how much I like sitting down.... :)

Alice LOVES her paddle board! She had tried one out earlier this summer, and although she couldn't manage to stand up on it (it was an ocean surf paddle board -- narrow, light, and too short), she was hooked. And then when we were in Pismo Beach she went up to Avila Beach and tried again. That's when she knew she wanted one. She researched inflatables on the market (we want to be able to travel with it), and came up with the Red Paddle as being the best for her. The Sea Eagle came in a close second, but she chose the Red because it was thinner, giving her more stability.

Looking at the Sea Eagle Longboard 11, it can be outfitted to be a sit-down board, so that might provide the best of both worlds. But since we have a kayak she can join me when she wants to sit.

Hope this helps.
Azusateach

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks for the fed back! I might have to restrain purchasing any more toys for awhile. Between hobbies of kayaking and showing dogs I have no shortage of excused to spend money from my "Travel and playing" funds. :)
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 am

The Sea Eagle looks good on you, Laura!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am

I have an inflatable kayak but haven't tried it out yet. It is an Intex Challenger I got at Walmart.
I just got invited by my real estate agent to join her on Thursday evening to kayak over to Humphreys on San Diego Bay to watch a concert of two members of Fleetwood Mac. They are outdoor concerts at a resort near a marina and a lot of people go there in their kayaks to watch for free. That should be fun!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Next

Return to General Talk