Fun With DIY Solar

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Fun With DIY Solar

Postby Cudedog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Having a lot of fun researching and learning about solar for my van. Have moved on from the 120w folding setup that I originally considered, to a "foldable" blanket-style 200w setup. I think this will fit well with my needs.

Now looking for a 12w 100ah (or more) battery for the system. Wow, batteries are EXPENSIVE. The lowest I have found for a 100ah deep-cycle is $159. I need at least 100ah, the more the better. If I could find a reasonable price for 75ah I would just get two and hook them together.

Anyone know of a source for deep-cycle batteries?

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Fun With DIY Solar

Postby Liz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 pm

How well your solar works will be largely dependent on your batteries... I highly recommend two. Remember you can only drain them 50%.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:01 am

And remember if you go 6 volt you gotta have two. If you cost them out for their lifetime the cost is not bad. They last such a long time. Now that I read that, perhaps I should say something along the lines of....As a full timer, you want your investment in both batteries and tires to be the “best value” for the buck. At the same time it has to be affordable in your budget. I love spending money. I no longer invest (spend) money unless it is with a happy smile. Batteries are a PITA!

I lost my two house batteries while in OR near Bend. Had a heck of a time finding replacements! Cost me close to $600 for those two AGMs. That was 2014 and fortunately I still have them. So far $200 per year and I need them to be better than that! I learned to go directly to battery house if you are on the road. I paid way too much at a RV rip off repair/sales shop.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Liz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:31 am

Quality AGM batteries last about 7 years or more. The last ones I bought in 2012 for my Class C were still going strong when I traded it this summer. They were Optima Blue Top ...2-12V
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Liz wrote:Quality AGM batteries last about 7 years or more. The last ones I bought in 2012 for my Class C were still going strong when I traded it this summer. They were Optima Blue Top ...2-12V

Adding they'll last that if they are not discharged beyond 50%. It's important to care for your batteries.

I paid a lot for the 6 volt agm's I currently have. The only disadvantage with 2 6 volt... Should one battery go bad, you'll have no battery. When I had the 2 12 volt and one went bad, the other kept me going... Just had to be careful to use less.

I'm not sure yet what batteries I'm having the repair person put in my class b... One part of me says I should put less expensive in and trade out for the expensive in Winnie in Arizona.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks, all!

Much food for thought.

I am not (and not likely to ever be, at least not in my van) a full-timer. But I took a 12-day trip this summer, and it was pretty fabulous. Had been thinking for a long time to maybe (someday) "upgrade" to a Class A or C. . . but after reading about two of my "heroes" on here (Beth and Liz) changing out (not downgrading!) from their Class C's to a B (basically a really large van) I'm thinking I will just stick with what I have.

I designed and built the layout myself, it works well for me, I am comfortable driving and camping in it, the van was purchased new (a 2011, with currently only about 26,000 miles on it) so (at least for now) why change?

When I completed the van build in about 2013 (2011 model van purchased in 2012) I looked into solar, but at the time I didn't see anything I was comfortable building, plus the expense was pretty steep. However, I am discovering that the cost of solar panels and accessories has come down considerably since then.

Add to this the fact that since I am reading that the imposition of LARGE tarrifs on imported solar panels are being considered by Congress, I am thinking that I need to get a move on before the price of panels goes up out of my reach.

I am having LOADS of fun researching this. Since storage space inside my van is very limited (for things like solar panels!) and the fact that I don't want to mount them on my roof, I am leaning towards a set of 200W panels that fold down to about 21"x 28" x 1" (weighing about 11 pounds), which means I can easily store them. Here is a video (the individual panels I will be getting will be smaller than this, and there are more of them linked together, but you get the idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fSSPzUhebQ

It comes with a PWM controller, but I think I will switch that out with a MPPT controller.

As several ladies have stated, I think the best set-up will be two sealed AGM deep-cycle 12v batteries, either two 75w or two 100w batteries connected together, with a battery isolator from my vans alternator to keep the batteries charged while I am driving. Thought about two 6 volt batteries, but as mentioned if one failed I would then have no power. Don't have room for four 6 volt batteries. With two 12v if one failed, I would still have one to work with.

Having fun! With this set-up I can do boondocking, and keep my Dometic fridge/freezer running.

Anyone with other suggestions or comments, please jump in! I am a newbie at this, but am researching hard, beginning to get a grasp on the watts/amps/volts thing. Er, things. :lol:

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Liz » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Good idea to keep the van and make it work for you. I like my solar panels mounted on the roof. There's nothing to set up and they are always working for me, as long as there is sunlight. Have fun researching and let us know what you decide and how it works!
Liz
Liz

Postby Birdie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Anne, keep in mind that sometimes great deals can be found in Quartzite. Keep having fun!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Cudedog » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Birdie wrote:Anne, keep in mind that sometimes great deals can be found in Quartzite. Keep having fun!

Actually. . . thinking about making the trip to Quartzite (where I have never visited) is what caused me to research solar panels for my van and decide to make the move to solar for my van. I shouldn't need my a/c that time of year, and I will be looking into the smallest Mr. Buddy for heat. I will need the solar panels for refrigeration of my food.

After heming and hawing for at least a month, and countless hours researching panels on the web (spent about another six hours online today alone!), I finally placed my order for these 200w panels, just now:

https://www.amazon.com/Dokio-Watts-Volts-Monocrystalline-foldable/dp/B075SZMFP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506806474&sr=8-1&keywords=dokio&th=1

I only did so after going on "chat" with an Amazon rep to be sure that Amazon would guarantee their arrival, and also guarantee a refund if the panels arrived damaged. "Yes" on both counts! :-)

I won't have them until maybe the end of either October or November - Dokio is a Chinese company, and I am 100% sure they are coming from China. But the lead time is ok, so long as I know that delivery is guaranteed, which it is, by Amazon.

If they are as represented (one can only hope), they will be just about *perfect* for my needs. They fold down to 28.6 "x 21.2"x.9", so will easily find a spot to fit inside my van. They weigh only about 11 pounds, so very easy for me to lift and to set up.

Depending upon where I am camping, I can put them on the roof of my van, hang them on the side of my van, or tilt them outside on the ground at an optimum sun angle (I will build a pvc (plastic pipe) rack for them - pvc is lightweight, cheap, and incredibly easy to work with. I have built all kinds of stuff out of pvc.

While I wait for their arrival, I will shop for "bits". Probably I will go with two 100ah batteries, and probably this fuse box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000THQ0CQ/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

and a 12v power outlet, something like this one (my Dometic draws 3 amps):

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-Motorcycle/dp/B01B79F8CW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1506809931&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+power+outlet

Plus various wire strippers, electrical tape, fuses, a digital multimeter and whatnot.

This is gonna be FUN!! (I admit it! I am a tool JUNKIE!!)

I have wanted solar for my van since I first built it a few years back, now it is on the way.

Stay tuned!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Return to General Talk