Hearing Aid?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Hearing Aid?

Postby Cudedog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Looks like it might be hearing aid time for me.

A friend got a good deal at Costco, I will call them to make an appointment.

Anyone have any advice on Costco or hearing aids? What to look for, what to avoid?

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Hearing Aid?

Postby JudyJB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Yes, I do have advice. The cheaper hearing aids are not programmable to your specific hearing loss, so they do not always work well. My uncle bought a hearing aid last year, and it does little more than plug his ear up. I finally asked him what he paid, and he said $300. I don't know where he got it.

On the other hand, my mother spent $3,000 per hearing aid, partly paid by insurance. That is shockingly expensive, but they worked very well.

If your hearing loss is not too bad, you might even try the ones that look like the old ones that hook around your ear and are attached by a wire to a little box. I have seen those for $50. Or you might try whatever Costco is selling, but make sure you can return it if it does not work,
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Colliemom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:22 pm

As a life long (since I was 5) hearing aid wearer, I second what Judy said. Hearing loss is not to be taken lightly. Go to a certified Audiologist and get a hearing test to see what your degree of hearing loss is. Then you can get fitted for the best fit for your loss. Don't go cheap on those store models. Todays aids are technology advanced, capable of being programmed many different ways and it's not a one size fits all world. Good luck. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Liz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 pm

I agree with all of the above. First find a reputable audiologist and get a thorough hearing evaluation. And what Sue said!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm

I've been wearing hearing aids since in my 30's. I have no idea what brand, etc, Costco uses. They probably use a licensed audiologist. I wouldn't say to not try them. But, yes, stay away from the bargain hearing aids. I love the audiologist I use now. And probably will be getting new aids this winter.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Just for the heck of it I went to Costco for their free test. I was not impressed by the young girl who conducted the test and while I didn't ask her what her qualifications were, I left thinking it wasn't for me. She seemed like someone who had just had a short course on administering the test and her answers to my questions were confusing and less than complete. Just today I made an appointment with the Audiology Dept. at my local Kaiser clinic. I think I will have much more confidence in the qualifications of the examiner - and I will ask this time just what those qualifications are. We'll see how it goes. I've definitely come to the conclusion that the time has arrived that my hearing needs some help. Hard to admit getting old. Darn!!!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Return to General Talk