Negotiating for a new Class B rig?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Negotiating for a new Class B rig?

Postby Queen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 am

Question for you learned gals, Mary read an article about how to negotiate for a new rig (if we go that route when the condo sells) and it made us go hmmmm.

She read that RV's (Class A,B, and C) are typically marked up 50% to create MSRP. The article said to approach the negotiation at the 50% off MSRP and go up from there, not the other way around. This makes us a little uncomfortable to go so low right out of the gate, will they think we're not serious, will they just think we're lowballing? We thought we'd see how you gals have approached this since the collected wisdom here is vast.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Re: Negotiating for a new Class B rig?

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 am

Back a few years the % thrown out was 25-30% but I know that times change. Another tactic to layer on is what you would like them to maybe add such as extra Maxi Fans.....levelers, etc. There are limits though. You can't expect them to add $10-15,000 worth of a wish list and still get 25% off. But I am guessing you and Mary are smart enough to figure that out. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 am

I have no info, but glad you ask this as it could be a very informative post that could be very interesting to many(me) :roll:

CArol
Carolinagal

Postby Pooker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:50 am

My experiences have over the years have been that a salesman is a salesman. He/she will pretty much zero in on what your strengths and weaknesses are and usually try to sell you something a bit more, a bit fancier, or more expensive than you came in to see. This is true of both new and used. Private sellers always think their item is worth more than the going rate and price things accordingly. Do your homework and see what similar rigs are selling for. Stay focused when you start your search and absorb as much information as you can from everyone you talk to without revealing too much information about your wants. After a few exchanges, you will be able to cut right through the gibberish and know whether a salesperson is trying to just make the sale rather than trying to fit you into the best rig for you. Many times I have run into salespeople who have never owned an RV, never gone camping, yet they are trying to tell an experienced customer what they need or want?

Since it seems like you gals are going to be shopping for a Class B (?) you probably realize that they tend to be more expensive, hold their value better, and sellers don't do a whole lot of negotiating. The sellers know that there will be another buyer just around the corner, so aren't as eager to wheel and deal. B's are always in demand. Beware of a deal sounding exactly what you want, but hidden somewhere in the paperwork will be the kicker as to how they made that work: a longer loan than you wanted, fees you didn't know about, an interest rate that isn't what you were quoted, etc., etc. If this happens, you can walk away, go home and cry for awhile, and then hit the ground shopping again.

Don't be frightened by this, though. Enjoy the shopping experience. There are so many rigs out there to see and they are NOT all alike! You may see a layout or storage or whatever that will have you changing your mind. That's why it's probably a good idea to shop around -- a lot. Make it entertainment. And you will find the rig that's right for both of you. It's out there. You just have to find it. Remember that there is no such thing as a "perfect" rig. But there is one that will be darn close to perfect for you!

Happy shopping!

Pooker
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Liz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:22 am

I don't think 50% is a reasonable expectation. 15-20% you could probably negotiate. I felt like I got a fair deal at Sunshine State RVs. I wanted several options that are on a Roadtrek Zion (solar, extra battery, screens, etc.), but Nick was willing to add them to the less expensive Simplicity model. He did not try to talk me into a Zion at $20,000+ more than I paid.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Queen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for the replys! Mary is the negotiator in the family and can be utterly ruthless about it if they try to upsell or talk down to her. We walked away from a new truck over $300 one time, the salesman was being a jerk and she told him very plainly that "if we leave now, we will not be back, this is not a tactic, this is a fact". We left and he and the sales manager had left us three messages offering the lower price by the time we got home, we did not go back but bought elsewhere and had a much more pleasant experience.

I'll read these to her so she can get a better idea of what we should be looking at going into the process.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Nicky, don't forget your knees! Aren't the refrigerators on the lower part of the class B's? Liz, with your new rig, maybe you could answer this. Do you have to kneel to get into your refrigerator? Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Birdie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Mickey, after Mary very nicely slams the door in the face of that dog manager, maybe you could drive over to Elkhart, IN and tour around the manufacturing factories where some, not all, of the RV's come together. It might give you some ideas on what you might like to see in your next RV. It is really nice laid back town. Got some great things going on for it. If you need some changed if the factory cannot do it, they can recommend someone. There are CD's that give you driving information for the factories. Just a thought.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Queen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Lyn, Mary is tiny and handles all the "low to the ground" chores. :mrgreen:

Birdie - we're only a couple of hours from Elkhart. When we get back from FL with that condo sale money burning a hole in our pocket, that would be a very good way to calm the urge to spend it right away. Wander the factories and take our time.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Liz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 am

My refrigerator is larger than most B's and up high, so no kneeling. Roadtrek Simplicity.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Queen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:11 am

Love the Simplicity, those twin bunks are perfect!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby Pooker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 am

I'm jealous of your fridge, Liz - both it's size and location! I have one of those get on your knees models with a freezer that is only large enough for an ice cube tray and nothing else! But I continue to learn ways to deal with it. I also love your twin beds. You picked a winner, Lady.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Liz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Pooker wrote:I'm jealous of your fridge, Liz - both it's size and location! I have one of those get on your knees models with a freezer that is only large enough for an ice cube tray and nothing else! But I continue to learn ways to deal with it. I also love your twin beds. You picked a winner, Lady.

Evie

Thank you. the SRT works well for me, although the beds are very short (5'). Most people would be happier with the full length Simplicity which is laid out the same, but with 2 more feet in length, thus longer beds. The SRT can be made into a queen-size bed sleeping crossways however. Or you can get it with a platform bed made that way, but no aisle. You can also get a sofa in the back which makes into a queen.
Liz
Liz

Postby Redetotry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:14 pm

If I were in Florida I would look to buying from an individual, not a dealer. I see so many for sale there and I think you can get a better feel from an individual as what to expect. I would also not look at new, the newer ones have great technology but sometimes other 'parts' just don't seem to have the quality that went into the older models.. My '03 Pleasure Way was much better put together than my newer '10. I realize that may not be the same in all models but, I've also noticed it in the Toyota van I drive. Like has been mention, the B's hold their value, so if in a few years you want bigger or newer you won't loose much. Mine sold for $2000, less than I paid for it in 2011, had I not been impatient I'm pretty sure it would have sold for more than I paid.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Return to General Talk