Yosemite

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Yosemite

Postby janwatts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Dear All,

I had posted earlier about a trip to the west coast and asking you all for recommendations regarding National Parks.

We have decided on a nearly six week trip, still renting a campervan (maybe we will be so inspired after the trip that we will buy!), beginning the last week in May and ending the last day of June. We will be renting a 19' compact van from Cruise America. Yosemite is on our list and we know that booking is crucial and that you can book five months ahead with an emphasis on being on that phone/internet the minute you can, to make reservations.
I did search the archives of the forum to see if there were any previous threads related to the best parts of Yosemite to consider if you are in a campervan. There was nothing I came across in the archives and so I thought I would write again and ask for your input

My partner and I are avid day hikers and so would be looking to hike while in Yosemite. Also, we are quiet sorts and if the recommendations are to consider less well-known areas of the park, we would be very happy to know about them. Alternatively, places within the park to avoid would also be welcome information. We will more than likely begin our trip at Yosemite (we pick up the campervan in Newark, CA) and so it will be late May and then head northwards from there. We are thinking a week there?

So, any and all of your thoughts given the wealth of experience in this readership would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,

Jan
janwatts

Re: Yosemite

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 pm

One of our members, mtngal (Diana) lives not far from there and probably knows every inch of Yosemite. If she doesn't see this post in the next couple days, I'll get hold of her to come on and chime in.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby janwatts » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:31 am

Thank you, Beth.
janwatts

Postby Azusateach » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 am

Jan, Yosemite is one of my "heart" places, and I could talk about it forever. :)

You're correct in saying that you've got to be ready to pounce for your campsite reservation the day they open the window of dates you're interested. The last time we went, the day we had to make reservations I had 2 computers running with our campsite selections -- you have to choose a specific site and I'd chosen 2 different ones -- and started hitting the "Reserve this Site" at about 6:58. I continued to do that until I got a reservation at about 7:02. The other computer never did get a reservation. Our favorite campground is the Upper Pines, and we like sites on the outside of the loops.

As far as finding places to go, my absolute favorite is the Cathedral picnic area. It's out of the bus stop loop, so lots of people never see it. There's a lovely beach with an awesome view of El Capitan. I've spent many days there, just hanging on the beach reading and letting Jed (my Lab) wade in the water.

May could prove to be a pretty wet time -- not in terms of rainfall, but more in terms of river flooding. It was really bad this year due to the huge snowpack in the high country. So keep that in mind. Also, if you're wanting to hike the high country you probably won't be able to that early in the year. The good thing, though, is that you won't have to deal with mosquitos in the early spring!

Enjoy!

Laura
Azusateach

Postby Liz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Whatever hikes you choose, go early in the morning. It will be much less crowded and sometimes you will have the trail to yourself. Here's a blog post about a hike I did in a more remote area of the park. http://wheresliz-2016.blogspot.com/2016/04/yosemite-day-4-hetch-hetchy.html
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby mtngal » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Hiya, ditto to everything Laura and Liz said. The key to all valley hikes is to go out at daylight to avoid crowds. May is perfect time to visit Hetchy. The falls will be running and wild flowers blooming. May will be early for most high country hikes. Happy Trails.
Diana
mtngal

Postby mtngal » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm

P.S. There is a Forest Service campground on Evergreen Road just before the 120 entrance to Park. If you are driving 20' or less that is a good overnight before Hetchy. Sorry I don't know current name.
Diana
mtngal

Return to General Talk